myth news

Talk about anything here.
pompey

Post by pompey »

carlinho wrote:well that means I should release the greek tagset shitty incomplete?
no way....
at least 2 people will play it on oak high res res but at least mediocre finished, not shitty...haha
Greek tagset is badass, Carl, no worries about that :) The high res blows my mind. Only problem is the Greek women are distractingly hot, I keep zooming in to watch them and then all of a sudden "Casualties!" :(
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

While yes Oak appears to have been in development for a long time, it hasn't been worked on more so than in the past few months. At least from what I can see. Before there was no beta for beta testers to try. So trust us, Oak coming along nicely.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:...Before there was no beta for beta testers to try. So trust us, Oak coming along nicely.
There is no trust without verification.

<hint><hint>
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

[Translation]Gimme the damn beta!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:[Translation]Gimme the damn beta!
I am hoping to see the mighty Oak in my xmas stocking.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

vinylrake wrote:I am hoping to see the mighty Oak in my xmas stocking.
This "Oak" thing you speak of. What, in your mind, will it do?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Here you go VR...

I was tempted to post this one instead. You won't get it unless you have seen this. :wink:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Myrd wrote:
vinylrake wrote:I am hoping to see the mighty Oak in my xmas stocking.
This "Oak" thing you speak of. What, in your mind, will it do?
According to how Pyro wants to fill my stocking, Oak will apparently quench my thirst.

Actually it's not Oak alone that I am dreaming of, it is the combo of Oak and SB 1.7. In my mind the combo does many magical things that I can barely dream of, but when I think about what I +expect+ them to do I expect that Oak will give me the ability to add an additional texture layer(mask?) to my Myth 2 maps which when viewed in SB 1.7 will render the landscapes of my Oakicized maps in all their newfound textury goodness.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I see. Sorry to disappoint, but 1.7 will definitely not be ready for Christmas. Though the plan is still to get it done before next MWC.

As for the detail-texturing Oak, there is little point in releasing that without 1.7 being ready.

However, there might be another "surprise" under the tree.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Free booze for all currently active myth 2 players?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Myrd wrote:As for the detail-texturing Oak, there is little point in releasing that without 1.7 being ready.
Well... if Oak-texturized maps are playable under M2 1.6 (without textures of course) one might point out that releasing Oak a few months ahead of 1.7 would give mapmakers a few months to use it in their creations so there would be a good chance of a considerable number of new textured (or newly texturized) maps being available for players when 1.7 is released - thereby increasing the WOW factor of 1.7 when all of a sudden these existing maps suddenly spring to newly graphical goodness filled life. Having texturized maps available at 1.7's release would be much better than having a simultaneous release causewith a simultaneous release we would have to wait for maps to get texturized to see the new and improved 1.7 graphical goodness.
Myrd wrote:However, there might be another "surprise" under the tree.
w00t! I will start baking brownies tonight to make sure I have enough to leave for Santa and his helpers. (I wonder if Santa prefers herbal or non-herbal brownies.)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

We also plan to release a texture pack for at least the standard Bungie levels with 1.7.

I don't think it makes sense to release a tool that lets you assign detail textures until mapmakers can actually see what it looks like in game (with the correct zoom level and with units and battles happening).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

while i see your point, you have to admit it was worth a try...
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Myrd wrote:However, there might be another "surprise" under the tree.
A surprise under the Oak tree?! :wink:
remedial

Post by remedial »

Secret gifts- always a treat.

This may be classified information- but I was wondering- how easy will it be to bring already released (or currently in-progress) maps up to date with Oak? That is to say, will it be crucial that we still have the original, unflattened .psd files to work with?