myth news

Talk about anything here.
Zeph

myth news

Post by Zeph »

Just wanted to point out that the news on the website havent been updated in a long long time, like mid-2007...

perhaps we should start adding news post when big projects are being released? public betas? tournaments? link to important forum posts? I bet when Myrd's new tools will be out there wont be any news to tell people.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Yeah, I think it should be updated too. Just to let people know that Myth is still alive. There shouldn't be such a situation, where someone wants to get back or enter Myth communnity and he's directed to the Project Magma, but the last 'news' information he can see is from 2007. Not to nag or something, just my suggestion.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

yea a little blurb about 1.7, Oak coming out soon and maybe the new projects being worked on would be a good idea
Peach Out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I agree, updated news would be a good thing - even if it's just a generic once a month note so it looks fresher.

I would resist the temptation to post 'news' about the 'soon' release of multiyear projects until they have a fairly firm release date. News ABOUT ongoing projects, milestones reached, etc would be useful, but personally I find the ratio of officially released projects to the amount that are announced but never released really frustrating. There are for example several projects that have periodic betas released or which I hear through the grapevine are going to be released 'soon' which never seem to get released as the months go by and turn into years... If a project is under development and the author/team wants to release progress updates or requests for people to help out on a project that's cool, but let's save the release announcements for projects which are completed and are actually being released.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Now look what you've done!
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Post something on the Beta of Dreatm Duel at Tyr. You can get it at Udogs. I am done updating it for awhile needs lotsa testing done. Myrd was gracious enough to help out last nite : )

B13 DDAT ZIPPED
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I agree with VR... completed plugins.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

VR, even software company's games with millions of dollars in the budget sometimes NEVER are released.
In fact even one of the Bungie/myth creators, David Bowman ran a software company here in phoenix. They worked on an everquest RPG style game for 4-5 years. I am 99% sure even that was never released.
I even toured the offices and was shown the the game in progress, and spoke with Bowman. He was really a "Nerd's Nerd"

The problem with fan made projects is they are subject to many things other pro developers arent. (people having to get new jobs or move away to get another job, so they can pay the rent)

I have read about many cool sounding games that never were released, and i enjoyed reading about them. Otherwise you can only read about things allready completed.
Peach Out
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hmmm. Upcoming things are a recipe for disappointment, especially given myth's track record.

-DA
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

it would be interesting though to see what mapmakers are doing actively and if any known mapmaker is free or open to working on new projects...sort of a working forum
so new groups can be assembled, new projects could find talent there...etc

sometimes if not you have 10 people individually tackle individual projects when maybe they could have joined and do 1 or 2 altogether ...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Carl, on our website we have a forum section JUST for people to find help with their projects from other mythers with diffrent skill sets.

http://myth4thewindage.com/forum/viewfo ... 4cf5fd13ad

there should be a greek tagset listing!
Peach Out
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Renwood TWA wrote:Carl, on our website we have a forum section JUST for people to find help with their projects from other mythers with diffrent skill sets.

http://myth4thewindage.com/forum/viewfo ... 4cf5fd13ad

there should be a greek tagset listing!
Luckily, the magma news is not your forums :)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

My request to refrain from announcing as 'news' that a project will be released 'soon' was just that and nothing more. I don't have a problem with people posting news about betas, significant milestones, requests for help with a project, status updates, etc, I just don't like 'coming soon' announcements portrayed as 'news'. You see - I understand that there are a vast number of variables which can effect the completion date of a large project, many completely outside the control of the project team, but announcing that a multiyear project will be released at some indefinite point in the future (aka 'soon') is not news, and often is little more than wishful thinking. Posting a 'blurb' that 'Oak will be released soon' is not news. Posting a blurb that 'Oak will be released next month' is.

[edited to be nice] [er]
Last edited by vinylrake on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

aye
that's cool
I figured that would be helpful to the community...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Keep arguments to PMs please.

I wonder if the magma folks could set up some sort of method by which news could be posted. Alternatively, if you have something you want, maybe send it to doob or myrd, or other appropriate parties.

Of course no one that runs this site has actually replied... thoughts guys?