mythIV what?????

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
balor13

mythIV what?????

Post by balor13 »

what is all this talk about myth iv could someone tell me more about it
Fury IX

Re: mythIV what?????

Post by Fury IX »

As I understand it Myth is owned by Take2, a company who has not publicly taken any interest in making a myth 4. Efforts to negotiate a sale of the rights have been unsuccessful... so in short, the chances of seeing myth 4 on the shelves are pretty slim. The chances of seeing myth 3 finished is perhaps slightly better.

Take2 has given only project magma permission to update myth 1 and 2 not for profit. Hopefully the plan is to update the mapmaking features of myth 2 to keep the game alive.

There have been a couple attempts at myth 2 plugins continuing the story of myth (called myth 4) but im not sure of the progress of those
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Lol Fury, he's referring to The Wind Age.

It was a big fiasco that we don't want to talk about in detail Balor. That said if you google "Myth 4 The Wind Age" you'll probably be able to gather enough details to figure out what it is.

In short, it's the same thing you are doing, and the same thing Onyx has been doing for that 10 years. Making a campaign in myth 2 that "could be" a myth 4. A continuation of Myth's storyline. They were just being a little overzealous naming it "Myth 4". It isn't. It's a cool plugin using a good handful of resources that were aquired dishonestly. That said, worth checking out if you can find a copy. It doesn't run very well on most systems though.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

as one of those whose computer didn't like the TheWindAge plugin (or other plugins that have really high res units), from what I recall it was a pretty narrow slice of *recent* computers that had problems with the hi res units. definitely certain graphics cards had problems (mostly mac i think) but i don't think slide-show animations were common for many people with reasonably decent computers.

also - drama and disagreements with the name of the plugin and with personalities aside, i am dissapointed that The Wind Age has dropped off the radar. It was far from being the promised finished solo campaign, but the units looked really nice, and they were a nice hint of what might have been.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Don't despair, the units are being done right this time around.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if i had a dollar for everytime i heard of someone was working on hi-res M2 units, i'd have several more dollars than I do right now.

(not saying you aren't. just thinking maybe i should offer a prize to the first person to release a finished plugin with 6 or more standard myth 2 units in high-res form... )
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You're in on Private Testing right? Just keep your ears to the ground, you'll get your wish lots sooner than you can possibly imagine. And in much higher glory than any 'mapmaker' can provide too. M3l3k0r 1z t3h oss1mz.