Morale Feature - what?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Phex

Post by Phex »

Hello,

I just downloaded the new Myth Update and recognized that there is a new 'Morale' feature. Can anyone explain me what it does (Allied Kill Bonus? Enemy Kill Bonus? etc.)?

rgds,
- Phex
Industry

Post by Industry »

My guess is Iron has been playing too much Robert E. Lee's Civil War General.

CHARGE!
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hehe

well it was inspired by a similar feature in the myth 3 code, except we took it a step further. Firstly imagine you have some kind of leader unit - Garrick for instance. As an experiment, open his tag and click the "Affects Morale" checkbox. Give it a radius of 8, an Allied Kill Bonus of 5 and an enemy Kill Bonus of -2.

Then go into the warrior and bowman tags, open Flags and check "Morale can be boosted". Same for ghols.

When you play Gonen's Bridge, any friendly unit within 8 world units of Garrick will start fighting as if they've gotten 5 kills already. Any enemy ghol will fight as if it has 2 less kills (mb because it is scared of Garrick).

That's basically how it works.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Phex

Post by Phex »

cool feature! :D ty.
Phex

Post by Phex »

Two Questions left:

1) Just to be sure: a world unit is the distance between two sides of a mesh cell (meaning the small one which consists of two triangles)?

2) Imagine there is an enemy unit that has already 1 kill. This enemy unit is affected by a 'negative morale' of -2. Does that mean it fights as if it had 0 or -1 kills (meaning worser than normal)?

EDIT: 3) When I'm at it: what does the 'Responds to Enemies when attacking'-Monster-Flag do?

rgds,
- Phex.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

1. Yes, that's my understanding. If you could relate Myth to the real world, it'd be about a metre.

2. It'd behave as if it had -1 kills.

3. Not an easy one to answer in one sentence :)

If in Myth you tell a bunch of warriors to attack a bunch of thrall by clicking on the thrall, each of your warrs is assigned one of the thrall as its target. In Myth II each warrior will do its utmost to reach its thrall even if that means being hacked to death in the process. In TFL however your warrior would realize that its target was out of reach & switch of its own accord to the closer thrall that were attacking it. This meant that in TFL you could safely click to attack, whereas in Myth 2 its suicide to do so & you're better off letting them auto-target.

If your plugin has melee units more widely spaced to prevent clumping then the way Myth 2 works becomes awkward - clicking to attack results in a dance with units taking weird routes around enemies, and auto-targetting fails as units can't clump around a single enemy.

Hence this flag enables the TFL behaviour & makes melee work well for more widely spaced units. The downside however is that you can't click on a thrall with one of your units and be assured that your unit won't switch to another more convenient thrall - so you have to work a bit harder to micro-manage. However, this style of melee lends itself to skilled microing far more.

So its really a flag to enable you to get the best behaviour if that's the style of gameplay you're shooting at. If the pathfinding radius on your melee units allow them to clump then its probably best not to use it.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Holy Crap! Morale! Why didn't anyone tell me?
I take it this is something I'd only be able to add on PC Fear/Loathing/whatever?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em