WW II 1944 Normandy -high res

Talk about anything here.
carlinho

Re: WW II 1944 Normandy -high res

Post by carlinho »

ah...
oh well, in the meantime we are testing this plug this sunday,
with some really nice 2d sprites, probably 3,000 or more of them rendered in high res

:wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I'm outta town till wednesday/or thursday, let me know how it goes! :)
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

absolutely!!
hopefully it goes smooth and we can start polishing this thing pretty soon!!!
I hope it doesn't lag...
because it looks really pretty in my computer... :mrgreen:
Point

Post by Point »

you said there's a single player map also... :) we both have higgens boat static models though I also have a higgens boat unit... with a little fear it could projectile to unit troops onto the beach :)

still trying to make the parachutes viable.... the cool ones i have are way to big to render to scales so testing some smaller ones... not sure if you did the paratroop entrance or not though looking forward to seeing the cinematic debut of carentan ... :)

and if it doesnt lag we could always go higher resolution... . lol jk really kidding...

if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

jeeez, you found all the poser files?
coool!!!!
and me modeling the browning m1919 in 3d myself....sigh....
Point

Post by Point »

Yes I found all the files except the animated tiger tank. I have 4 tiger tank models just trying to see which one to chop up to animate.... I made the first bar in Bryce years ago though now I have some obj. Versions....... Need to make explosion for the bagalore torpedos ;). Oog ;). And in a dream last night I think I figured out parachutes... Render seperate and as a local prigectile group .. I think it woould work thus avoiding huge sprites.... Anyone know a reason why that wouldn't work ?

all those props should be on my hl just textures would be missing... Need to hand you a DVD. Now that I have the files I can upload
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

awesome!
wouldn't the parachutes be like the level of MYTH II where the dwarves parachute from the sky?
should not be difficult at all....and should not be heavy in graphics at all

just a regular collection "standing" animation that you make a projectile that drops from sky, and to promote it to "parachute breaking down and folding on floor" that has a final dormant at rest or something when it's animation ends...

send me the sprites and I can figure it out in fear

they shouldn't be more than 200x 200 as that's not a vital area of the game that should have astonishing visuals....
it's just ammo.....
Point

Post by Point »

first of all... 260 pixel tall units... and not lagging... :)

High resolution.... units look nice i like the rendering style... how did you do that... was that just lighting, textures or some special filter?

if i render at the same scale i end up with this.... not quite as cinematic

carlinho

Post by carlinho »

actually your unit looks definitely more photo-realistic, and the model is 100% times better....makes mine look more "cartoonish"

the thing is myth is a game, and not a very high res game
so the more photorealistic your unit looks, the more it might look weird "in game"

not because photorealistic is bad, but because of the camera angle of myth... the unit needs to "blend" with the mesh...and the mesh is basically a photoshop texture and not something photo-realistic...

to make it blend better I discovered this 3 things:

I add a lot of texture to clothes and everything, so it's not "clean" looking
all textures specially clothes have lots of "noise", so it doesn't look flat

flat looks bad in myth, to my perspective

then after you render your unit you should lower the brighten at least -3 and add contrast +5 ( or test it)...as units come out too brighten from poser, if not check your unit...it looks like lit by a 12k fresnell light
then what I do to make it "stand out" is to use the filter "sharpen" in photoshop
that definitely brings the noise out of the texture "out".
and voila.
it doesn't look pale or boring anymore.

still you picked the best looking unit, the german I did kinda sucks...the free models I got my hands on where not the best out there :wink: ....
Point

Post by Point »

your right about needing to add some noise, this was automatic in the lower res renders as dither etc happened... the higher res has high res textures though they are lost at that scale... sounds like you have a artists set of manual filters to get the look you want... I'll see if I can get it closer to yours... why you ask well because airborne have a canon and crew :) set to render.... also I have that same german canon with crew already animated....
that airborne unit you see looks like it has some of the same components as your model... I made it from 4 different soldiers and a bunch of props.. and looking at a picture of the airborne uniform on dday..

as far as the german goes seems to look good in game... if you want to change the model I have at least a dozen german soldier models..
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Let me know when you want some scripting done for coops. I am a machine right now.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

thanks man, I think what went f**d up was we had a hard time hosting...somehow we we all on the same plug and version of myth but some couldn't see the game....
weird...

all and all it didn't lag a thing...
which was great....
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

faaaaaa
of course I lack objectivity because I did this crap,
but HOLY crap!
it's really cool!
cleaning bugs and changing things before it can go public

but looking good, and NO LAG WHATSOEVER!!!!

and played and hosted with a 5 year old mac on 10.4 osx

definitely 1.7.1 is amazing!!!!!!!

good job magma!!!!!!
Point

Post by Point »

Deqlyn wrote:Let me know when you want some scripting done for coops. I am a machine right now.

Deq... think private ryan... and the last battle on the bridge... plan out your script should have the map for you after next weekend...
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

It's perfect cause I played the SPR map on DoD. I even drew it out on paper before it actually existed. This is gonna be fun. Let me guess that someone always has to be the sniper in the tower, lol.

I'll do a light and dark.