Split - GoS/MariusNet discussion

Talk about anything here.
punkUser
Site Admin

Split - GoS/MariusNet discussion

Post by punkUser »

Just a side note, but I really can't understand why anyone cares about those gimmicky commands. They are interesting for about 2 seconds and then they are just annoying :S But yeah, no plans to add that stuff to GoS for reasons that I think should be obvious now :P
capital

Re: IX Hero Quest

Post by capital »

punkUser wrote:Just a side note, but I really can't understand why anyone cares about those gimmicky commands. They are interesting for about 2 seconds and then they are just annoying :S But yeah, no plans to add that stuff to GoS for reasons that I think should be obvious now :P
Just a sidenote: You might not miss MariusNET or not even quite understand it, but it is the best server for myth. GaS has issues with it related to restriction and control, it is far from the open platform that is MariusNET.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: IX Hero Quest

Post by punkUser »

capital wrote: GaS has issues with it related to restriction and control, it is far from the open platform that is MariusNET.
Happy to have this discussion if you want, although we should maybe move it to another thread (edit: done). Not sure what you mean by "open platform" - care to be more specific? Last I checked, MariusNet was the (much) more heavily admin/rule-based of the two servers. It requires accounts, maintains bans, etc. which is the opposite of "open".

To be clear, I have no issues with MariusNet nor with people playing there. But don't make up arbitrary reasons that misrepresent the reality of the two servers simply because you are predisposed to one or the other. It's completely okay to just prefer MariusNet because that's what you're used to - or whatever - but don't misrepresent the facts please.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Split - GoS/MariusNet discussion

Post by Melekor »

Not sure but I'm guessing that Cap is referring to the fact that GoS only allows 1.8 and not other versions or other clients like mythchat.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

If so, I'm sure he very well knows that that's not policy, that's technical. There is no attempt made to block any clients that speak the Myth 1.8 protocol, and if cap is interested in updating Myth chat to do that, I'd be more than willing to help/explain the details.

Backwards compatibility to older clients is of course one of the valid reasons to play on MariusNet if that is something that is required, but to claim that has anything to do with "openness" or policy is just incorrect.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

punkUser wrote:Backwards compatibility to older clients is of course one of the valid reasons to play on MariusNet if that is something that is required, but to claim that has anything to do with "openness" or policy is just incorrect.
Just guessing here, but he could have been referring to the server not being 'open' to players wanting to play TFL or TWA. That would be a legitimate observation/reason. I don't mean that as a criticism of Gos or as question to be answered, I just mention it because I know that the way you or I (as technical - or semi-technical in my case) programmers use the word 'open' and the connotations it has related to software/application development is probably really different than the way a player/non-technical person would use the word. I could see hosting one game instead of three being interpreted as 'less open' in a non-technical sense.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Yeah same thing as mel said and same answer... that's nothing to do with being an "open platform", GoS just doesn't support as many different clients for technical reasons. As you note that's obviously a valid reason to use MariusNet.

So yeah, maybe it's just a case of bad terminology. Just wanted to make sure people don't think there's some sort of political agenda going on (or anything beyond simple technology reasons)... quite the opposite.