anyone know of a terries reinforcement map?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
igmo

Post by igmo »

while reading a description of some other RTS game, it identified controling points on a map as the means of gaining new units/resources.

sounded neat to me and made me wonder if anyone built a terries map that gave you new units for each flag owned at certain points in the game (like every 2 mins or something.) not unlike the lichen general - but dispersed and based on territory owned.

i spent about 3 mins in loathing before i decided i really did not want to develop this myself. :)
Pistol_Pete

Post by Pistol_Pete »

that'd be a vastly different take on Myth. If you've ever played the Z series, or Dawn of War, your idea seems fairly similar to that mindset.

The one big problem I can see with that gametype - as I don't think it could be called regular terries - is that someone who nabs a few flags at the start of a game, maybe get massive reinforcements, and be unbeatable. One of my biggest pet peeves in Myth is when someone tries to wipe me out, when I'm far from the flag, while an army much larger than mine occupies the flag. If someone is hunkering down on the flags, I'd fear many players would go into a body-count mindset, and screw up what I see as "ideal" gameplay, aka playing to win the gametype.

I think you have a great idea, but I just wanted to lend those words of caution. imgo, one day I should play Strife on the Plains - it's only available for TFL - one day. You'd just love how that one is setup. :)
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Well, you need to use monster spawning to create the extra units, and even with spawning there is a limit to the numbers of units. So you could easily have it more along the lines of every time you kill all the enemies around a flag (wether repelling an attack or capturing) you get X of your dead units respawned. This way if you get beaten back you can still pick on a weaker flag to get some troops back and use these to assault heavier defended ones.
It would take a lot of a complicated scripting to pull off though
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
igmo

Post by igmo »

Pistol_Pete wrote:The one big problem I can see with that gametype - as I don't think it could be called regular terries - is that someone who nabs a few flags at the start of a game, maybe get massive reinforcements, and be unbeatable.
i think it would be key that any flag give only small reinforcements - something linke the total available value for a starting army divided by the number of flags (or less).

on grave i could see 2 thrall, 1 war and 1 arch per flag as a good reinforcement level.

if more were put out, sitting on your flag and hording units would be the only strat.
igmo

Post by igmo »

haravikk wrote:Well, you need to use monster spawning to create the extra units, and even with spawning there is a limit to the numbers of units. So you could easily have it more along the lines of every time you kill all the enemies around a flag (wether repelling an attack or capturing) you get X of your dead units respawned. This way if you get beaten back you can still pick on a weaker flag to get some troops back and use these to assault heavier defended ones.
It would take a lot of a complicated scripting to pull off though

hmm, i guess i thought you could place units for every team at every flag - then make them available at set times in the game to whoever owns that flag. would scripting that be easier?

respawning based on the strength of your attack/defence is interesting, perhaps as a BC variant. every 2 units of a particular type you kill you get one of the same back at your start point mb? seems like it might lead quickly to positive feedback and someone with 3x more units than everyone else.

Edited By igmo on 1095517960