Indexing Problems

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
sillek

Post by sillek »

I recently made a very colour map for my friend that he wants to use for 1v1ing. It was rather plain. Just a circle of brown dirt surrounded by blue water, and a little green grass in the middle. I went to Image > Mode > Indexed Colour in Photoshop, and selected Local (Adaptive), set it 240 colours, and everything else was on none or off. I imported it to Loathing, and my dirt had lots and lots of those black empty things all over it. So, I went back.. and piece by piece I removed more stuff and tried it again, but to no avail. I finally ended up with nothing but my plain old brown dirt, and it still gave me black stuff. Surely there aren't more than 240 colours in my plain old dirt ?

Anyway, I wasn't happy with the look, anyway, so I started another one. This time I have some dark blue water, and some green grass in the middle. That's all. Both are quite plain. Graydon even told me that my water would be too plain. But, yet, no matter the settings tried, it gave my grass lots of the black stuff. I tried it with all of the Palettes, I tried it with Dither set to Diffusion, Noise.. Preserve Colours.. Transparency.. Anything I saw.

Is there anyone that can tell me what I am doing wrong, or take my colour map and see if it's too complicated, or even try indexing it themselves to see if Loathing adds black blotches to that one ? I am at a loss, and have nowhere to turn.
skrew

Post by skrew »

im fairly sure you have the dimensions wrong for the map... but is the whole mesh, when imported, this khaki green colour wiht blackish stars everywhere? if so im sure its the dimensions, other than that, using PS 6, i use local (selective), but its probably differs in different versions.
in case you didnt know, all meshes have to be multiples of 256 (e.g 1024 x 1024, 1280 x 1536)
King kong died for our sins!
sillek

Post by sillek »

The dimensions of the map are 1280 * 1280. I'm not sure what khaki green is .. ?

Anyway, I will try using Local (Selective) at 240 colours. Thank you.