Idea for viewing films

Talk about anything here.
Platinum

Idea for viewing films

Post by Platinum »

Sometimes I like to click on a unit when watching a film, and then keep the camera centered on it automatically. Auto camera rarely ever comes in handy, because its so random and rarely ever shows what you want to see. When I click on said unit, i keep clicking "H" repeatedly so I can keep center selecting him to keep him in the middle of the screen. Can we make an option where it locks onto a certain unit and follows them the entire film? Keep the ability to zoom in and out, swivel, etc, but it stays centered on a highlighted unit. It is annoying how when in auto camera you cant control the camera at all... not even the zoom.

Just wondering, I don't think it would be too hard to implement something like this... or would it?
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Idea for viewing films

Post by punkUser »

I believe this has been discussed for 1.8, but don't think it got implemented yet. There are some potential issues with the "smoothness" of the camera tracking IIRC that need to be resolved first so it wouldn't look all jittery (even with motion interpolation).
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

punkUser wrote:I believe this has been discussed for 1.8, but don't think it got implemented yet. There are some potential issues with the "smoothness" of the camera tracking IIRC that need to be resolved first so it wouldn't look all jittery (even with motion interpolation).
I really like this idea. I do the same thing, often when reviewing testing films, and it be sweet to not constantly hit my Center Selection key. There is a parameter in the Observer Movement Map Action that can be set so that the camera follows a linked unit. MB a good starting point ?? Camera smoothness for this map action is a bit jittery as well though, iirc. ?
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

When camera is panning in auto camera mode, there is graphics lag for me, and I'm on a good computer and graphics card. That really isn't a reason to turn down the idea though, because its more of like a convenience feature to be able to watch a unit, or units, and keep them center selected to find a certain spot or what not. Time-lapse films of one unit in a game like Mazz or a long coop, or even a multiplayer game would be cool. Like a unit that goes on an epic journey and changes the game or gets a lot of kills. Would come in handy for making films.
ScaryMonster

Post by ScaryMonster »

I also have a notion for viewing films. I would like to be able to override the colors for each team using either a standard set of colors, chosen for high contrast; or better a set of colors that could be locally edited, either as a text file or as a tag (and edited in Fear).

I envision this override being placed in the F8 toggle sequence. So that you would have...

1. the colors as recorded
2. the team/foe colors
and
3. the overrides -which would only be available in film playback.

A list of 16 colors would be sufficient.

If not customizable, I would like to see
Red
Blue
Green
and no BLACK, which is so hard to see on the minimap

Also these colors would be used by the results screen at the end of the game so we can finally see the curves for those teams that are habitually black.