33%
2 stars
22%
1 star (lowest)
28%

Total votes: 18

A-Red

Post by A-Red »

GodzFire wrote:Finally being able to see how our top bad guys from M1/M2 were actually good is great. Finally we got to find out who the hell that Head was. We get to see what happened to the Smiths of Murthem' and how the Trow cities melted.stuff you can blow up.
Exactly. I hated it. They tried to explain *everything ever* in the space of a few months.
GodzFire wrote:The levels themselves were very rich and detailed. One in particular, where you go in a dwarf pack to kill the spider god is insane with the amount of stuff you can blow up.
This, on the other hand, is quite true. I just wish I'd found the units more manageable.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Its amazing that i made that long ass post about myth 3 and mumbo jumbo/take2. and people ONLY responded to the percived "negative" VR parts of it.

Notice VR allways starts the negative BS....but somehow i allways get blamed by a few on magma forums.. pay closer attention ppl!

Im perfectly happy to be nice to evreybody on here, but if you talk shit to me, i will talk shit right back.
Peach Out
remedial

Post by remedial »

Baak wrote:Why redo the Dwarf so badly when it was perfect before? What the hell are those Archer voiceovers? If you can't get/make better ones, then use the originals!! The timing on idle twitching is very natural in Myth II - why change it, especially to something that looks bad? What the hell is that Wight supposed to look like anyway? It's not the least bit creepy - just cartoony!! And Warlocks too... but I digress...
Exactly! Does anyone know why this happened? Especially when there were supposedly a bunch of hardcore Mythers on board.

Wouldn't you think keeping the physics/balance and everything in tact would save time for other, better improvements? Not preserving the look and feel of the characters' animations etc. also detracts from the gameplay and overall "Myth" motif. (Jeez, those are Myrkridia?)

Anyway, that's some griping for ya.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Renwood TWA wrote:Its amazing that i made that long ass post about myth 3 and mumbo jumbo/take2. and people ONLY responded to the percived "negative" VR parts of it.
Maybe they didn't read it since it was long, I read it yesturday I think but I forgot the details.
Renwood TWA wrote:Notice VR allways starts the negative BS....but somehow i allways get blamed by a few on magma forums.. pay closer attention ppl!
I can't recall VR starting anything negative. I can only remember him replying to negative remarks made by others.
Renwood TWA wrote:Im perfectly happy to be nice to evreybody on here, but if you talk shit to me, i will talk shit right back.
I think most people are like that, or at least in theory they are like that.
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

Renwood TWA wrote:Its amazing that i made that long ass post about myth 3 and mumbo jumbo/take2. and people ONLY responded to the percived "negative" VR parts of it.
Oh you mean that post about how you knew all of them, worked with them and therefore are awesome / godlike and the "guru of game development" who knows more about myth than any of us will ever know? or maybe that was another post...who knows, it's hard to tell, they all look alike...
Renwood TWA wrote: VR allways starts the negative BS....but somehow i allways get blamed by a few on magma forums.. pay closer attention ppl!
Awww poor little Ren, are the big boys being mean to ya?!...here's a cookie... Are you serious... come on man, you attack people as soon as they type something you dont agree with, and its just pure insults, don't try to turn things around making VR seem like a bad guy, nobody is going to fall for it...
Renwood TWA wrote: Im perfectly happy to be nice to evreybody on here, but if you talk shit to me, i will talk shit right back.
Yea, guess I can expect some more shit from you coming my way after this 1, but atleast I'm prepared this time right?, or maybe you'll be the responsible / smarter person for once...

Think about it, if you're this godly game developer guru type, why waste your time on me? or if you're really the nice guy you claim to be, you'll accept this for being a dick to me before, call it even, and you'll stay silent...

...Giz
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Renwood TWA wrote:
Im perfectly happy to be nice to evreybody on here, but if you talk shit to me, i will talk shit right back.
No one cares.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Even if M3 were as customisable off-the-shelf as M2 was, I'm not sure it would've been a much bigger seller than it was. It'd be a little like releasing a mapmaking tool for Big Rigs Over the Road Racing.
Now, if M3 had been in good shape on release, that would have been a different story.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baak

Post by Baak »

The only thing I could see saving M3 would be if you could easily redo all the crappy stuff. Easily... Yeah, right!

I recall someone did a mod early on that put all the M2 Dwarf voiceovers back in. I imagine you could do the same for most of the units. As far as making new units, I have no idea what Vengeance is capable of, but it'd be sweet to tweak the heavy offenders (Dwarf, Wight, Myrk, etc.).

Basically a major single plugin called "Myth II". I swear that would make the game more fun from the get-go. :)
remedial

Post by remedial »

William Wallet wrote:Even if M3 were as customisable off-the-shelf as M2 was, I'm not sure it would've been a much bigger seller than it was.
A bigger seller, no. But it might have survived longer by provoking the interest of the M2 community. I just think that, given the chance, the 3rd party input could have quickly outweighed the crappy original game.

Maybe I'm wrong. But when I think of things like TSG or Jinn, im amazed at what is possible when gamers are provided with the proper modding tools.
neo123

Post by neo123 »

GizmoHB wrote:ok I'm just going to ignore Rens nonsense for now...
Is it an attempt at a direct port or has gameplay been tinkered with to suit Myth II at all?
It's M3 in M2, I had only planned on porting the units new to M3 and using most of the standard M2 units, this means the new M3 units will be tweaked a little to fit the M2 gameplay...
I like the idea of a M3 Multipack.
The big problem is the units, and in some cases the heavy model use in some M3 multimaps which simply cant be duplicated in M2...

...Giz
So does this mean that some m3 maps will be omitted or still all included?
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

neo123 wrote:
GizmoHB wrote:ok I'm just going to ignore Rens nonsense for now...
Is it an attempt at a direct port or has gameplay been tinkered with to suit Myth II at all?
It's M3 in M2, I had only planned on porting the units new to M3 and using most of the standard M2 units, this means the new M3 units will be tweaked a little to fit the M2 gameplay...
I like the idea of a M3 Multipack.
The big problem is the units, and in some cases the heavy model use in some M3 multimaps which simply cant be duplicated in M2...

...Giz
So does this mean that some m3 maps will be omitted or still all included?
Instead of omitting them, substitutions to the Myth 3 capabilities could be used like what Magma did with the Venice map on TFL.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I don't believe Vengeance (Like fear and loathing before it) has any unit appearance editing capabilities.

IN the case of Jinn, mapmakers actually had to create their own tools (the model importing tool Apathy) because they _weren't_ provided, and didn't exist. 7th god mapmakers also relied on earlier mapmaker created programs (Amber for one) for their creation.

Personally, I think a big part of the failure for Myth 3 to get the widespread acceptance that M2 had was related to the very restrictive hardware requirements. At the time M3 came out, at least on the Mac side you had to have a REALLY recent Mac to be able to run the thing at all smoothly - if you had a machine that was over say 12 months old, unless it was the top of the line at the time you bought it you couldn't even run M3. That shrunk the potential audience of (at least the Mac gamers) for m3 by about 90% I am guessing (I don't imagine more than 10% of all computer users have a computer more recent than 1 year old) It is true that gamers tend to have higher end machines than the public at large, but with such a narrow target audience there's no way the game was going to get the same kind of large community that TFL and SB had. Also, I don't remember the specs, but I would guess that the PC requirements for M3 were similarly restrictive.

ps. Please note before flaming, that I clearly identify where I am merely giving my opinion and/or 'guessing'.
remedial

Post by remedial »

The hardware requirements are what stopped me in the first place, that's for sure.

Also, that's a good point about Amber/Apaty etc. If there never had been a program like Amber, I would have to guess that Myth 2's editing community would have suffered.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

At release Myth 3 didn't work on nearly all types of video card and nearly all versions of Windows. It also was marked as a trojan by Norton's Antivirus. I think this had more to do with its failure than high system requirements. Homeworld and Sim City 4 had very heavy requirements but were a hit.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Eddaweaver wrote:At release Myth 3 didn't work on nearly all types of video card and nearly all versions of Windows. It also was marked as a trojan by Norton's Antivirus. I think this had more to do with its failure than high system requirements. Homeworld and Sim City 4 had very heavy requirements but were a hit.
Well keep in mind that even though Myth 2 shipped with the worst bug of ALL TIME in the entire history of computer gaming - the windows Myth 2 uninstaller erased your hard drive!! - it was still a hit.