in game map downloads

Talk about anything here.
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

i have absolutely no idea if this is even feasible at all, but i thought i'd suggest it as something to consider working into a future version of myth 2.

ever play warcraft 3? you know how when you join a game that uses a map you dont have it downloads it from the game host?

imagine how sweetness this would be on myth - you join a game thats red and a small download meter appears as you download the map from people who already have it.

possible?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I heard Myth3 is going to have that feature.

It would be great in myth II, too.

The only problem i see is that myth 2 maps are pretty big in size and anyone with a 56k would die :D
Phex

Post by Phex »

The only problem i see is that myth 2 maps are pretty big in size and anyone with a 56k would die

Thats not really an argument... Many people do not download any maps at all, with or without this feature because of their dl speed.
This kind of content delivery system (im not sure if thats the right name) would be for people who already download new maps and are eager to play new without going to the specified url (without copy & paste), download the plugin manually, install it manually and restart myth.
I think nearly everybody would really enjoy such a feature - even more than mappacks this would sure spread the usage of not so often played plugins!
Is something like that planned, or was it planned at some time but not realized for some special reason?

rgds,
Phex
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

i was just thinkin about it because im trying to get people to play myth map (Imperial Arena) but no one seems to want to give it a try because I can't get a game going... I feel like if I cuold get 4 people playing in ranked, more people would download and join...)

Its kind of like how the new Myth plugins get used... usually somenoe with a good host hosts up a game on the new plugin so everyone switches, then someone else hosts on it, and more people switch, then the majority are using it so everyone switches...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

too many hoors that care about their pts. This is what happened with AvA, I set the trading cost value of soldiers to 1 and killing one unit gives 2 damage. They say it screws up all their damage ratio.. :(
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

It would be great, but hard to work.

What would be nice in a 1.5.2 or 1.6 patch of Myth II would be a little thing that meant when you go to a link it takes you directly to the page of TheTain.org that lets you dl it. You'd need to change the dl links on the plugs, but that wouldn't be too bad. Almost all plugs have a simple 'www.bunie.net' or 'http://' as their url, and the number of plugs 'available @ the mill' beggars belief. It would help to update that.
Thalander

Post by Thalander »

zeph i dont see how that was on-topic :(
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

heh, i actually meant that people dont try new things because they are so used to playing their old stuff
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Yep. That's why all WWII is Recon and on occasion Combat, even tho other WWII maps are pretty nice.