My friends and I are working on a Myth soundtrack archive

Talk about anything here.
Atlyx

My friends and I are working on a Myth soundtrack archive

Post by Atlyx »

Hey everyone! I'm new here. My friend and I recently released a set of 25 animated videos with all of the music from Myth: The Fallen Lords.

This includes the entire soundtrack CD, 4 previously unreleased tracks, and 2 menu pieces that Marty O'Donnell released on Bandcamp a while ago.

Every piece of music uploaded except for the country song was rendered from a lossless audio source, and the country song was ripped and edited at source quality from the game with enhancements made to it. All videos were encoded in After Effects with a high bitrate to ensure that YouTube's compression has as little of an impact as possible.

A noteworthy inclusion is the in-game version of The Siege of Madrigal, which is different than the version on the soundtrack CD and the version used in Halo. The Myth TFL CD has some pops and clicks present in many of the tracks, and as such, all tracks were grabbed off the Total Soundtrack as applicable. 4 affected tracks weren't on the Total Soundtrack, so we cleaned up the clicks in RX 9.

Here's the music playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ETeKrDTzbm

Here's a video with more information: https://youtu.be/-dGJT0Q0K2c

I hope to do Myth 2 soon, but I have a lot of things going on at once and many of them are similar to this. I'm also in the process of working with the Odyssey Sound Team to remake some of the Myth music in lossless using the original set of hardware synths (I think I actually found the patch for Across the Gjol/Beyond the Cloudspine the other day). This could take years, and we still need to acquire a Roland JD-990, which was one of the main hardware synths used, and then we have to rebuild all the tracks from scratch. We're also doing several other O'Donnell/Salvatori games so this will take a while.

I also plan to do Myth 3 videos. To my knowledge, Myth 3's soundtrack was only ever publicly released as 128 kbps MP3s. I actually got my hands on CD-quality files for those tracks and the composer gave me his blessing to make similar videos/archives with them, so my goal is to do those too.

I'm also in the process of scanning all the artwork from the games at 1200 DPI. The Myth artwork preservation has been rather poor over the years, so I'm doing as much as I can. You can see more about that in the "more information" video I linked.

All in all, we're doing a lot of work on this. We will not offer any downloads of any of this music.

If this post broke any rules, I sincerely apologize!
TarousZars
Site Admin

Re: My friends and I are working on a Myth soundtrack archive

Post by TarousZars »

This looks like an awesome project.
Jestrel

Post by Jestrel »

fuck yeah man
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

that is awesome news for the end of 2022 and beginning of 2023! looking forward to follow this project!
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
Atlyx

Post by Atlyx »

Someone in the Fourth Curtain Discord server found the source images for the units playing instruments from the soundtracks for me, so my friend Myrzir and I remade the Myth soundtrack CD covers with them. Perhaps the closest to the raw covers we'll get with no moire pattern. Just figured I'd share ;)

Still working on the rest of the archive. Stuff has been slow, but I have a number of Myth-related musical things I'm planning.
Attachments
Myth Total OST
Myth Total OST
MythTotalOST.jpg (214.88 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
Myth II OST
Myth II OST
Myth2OST.jpg (255.43 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
The Fallen Lords OST
The Fallen Lords OST
MythTFLOST.jpg (209.4 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

nice initiation! well done
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.