Can't View Plugins

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Emerson

Can't View Plugins

Post by Emerson »

I just started playing Myth II again after about 6 years. It was great getting back to it. I had seen clips on Youtube of Civil War and WWII battles. I had the "Total Codex" discs so I tried to load a couple of the Civil War and WWII plugins. I hold down the shift key when I click on "New Game" but I still don't see them. I see them in my Myth II Plugin folder. What am I doing wrong. Thanks.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Can't View Plugins

Post by Pyro »

Did you update to 1.7? After that, there is a plugins button in New Game. Go there and activate the plugins you want to use.

For other info, check out the Myth Starter Guide.

Enjoy.
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

Sorry I'm not the most technically proficient. I tried to update to 1.7. I downloaded 1.7 and saved to my desktop. Then I downloaded the 1.7 Installer and saved to desktop. I ran the Installer then ran the 1.7 file. When I then tried to open Myth II the screen just blinked and didn't open. Obviously I didn't have any idea what I was doing. Looks like the version I ran from the original disc was included Update 1.3. I'm afraid that I need to be walked through it. I appreciate you spending the time to help me get this figured out. The link to the Marius site only had the 1.6. update, so do I run that?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Are you on a Mac or on Windows?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What OS are you on? If you are on Windows you get the 1.7 Windows update as the name implies. If you are on Windows 2000 or up (meaning XP/Vista/7) you update to the modern build.The windows updater has two options one will say "classic" the other one is the modern build. Classic is for Windows 95/98/ME or if you have issues with the Modern build.

If you are on a Mac there are two options. The 1.7 Mac OSX update is for as the name implies Mac OSX. The 1.7 Mac PPC update is for PowerPC Macs running Mac OS 8.6 to 10.3.

Each type of update comes with instructions on how to install. Make sure you download the correct one for you system. Don't download the one at Mnet's site because it is outdated.
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

I just tried again, it just blinked when I tried to open the updated version. Now Myth II does not open after I ran the 1.7 update. It worker previously. I have Windows Vista. I did the large install off the disc. Went to your link above and downloaded the Windows 1.7 and clicked run. I then tried to open Myth II with no success. The Myth II folder on my C: now shows the new Myth II file and an "Myth II old" file which was the download from the disc. After I ran the download on the last propmt it asked if I wanted to start Myth II. I said yes. The game didn't come up but the "Readme" .pdf opened. Any ideas. Thanks for your help.
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

One other thing, I noticed a "Myth log" in the Myth folder. It says:

Myth II Build 329 running under Modern Windows 6.000000

Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
ChangeDisplaySettings() failed! Result code = -1. Details = (mode=640x480, fullscreen=1)
Error#1337: Myrd's hypothetical resolution switching failure.

Does that help.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Yes. We believe that bug is fixed in 1.7.1 - please try the 1.7.1 beta here:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... lic-beta-2

Let us know if that fixes the issue. Thanks!
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

Thanks so much for the quick response. Reading the page for your link I notice that it says that the file is not an installer. Do I need to download it directly to the main Myth II folder, i.e. not one of the subfiles. Also it appears that it is a zip file file. Will it need tro be unzipped?
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

Just tried it. I downloaded it and extracted the file. There was just a single Application file. I moved it into the main Myth II file. When I tried to open the game the older version (vl3) still comes up. I tried deleting the old file but then it doesn't open at all. Hope that helps.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Move the .exe file to your Myth II folder and then double click it.
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

It doesn't open and I get the message "Could not find all the required patch files. Please reinstall the 1.7.1 Public Beta 2 Update". When I extracted I only got a single .exe file is that correct.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Update to 1.7, it sounds like you might be missing a patch plugin. Maybe you don't have the "Patch 1.5 Unity" plugin. Reinstall the 1.7 update, then run the 1.7.1 beta. Yes, it is just one file that belongs in the Myth II folder.
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

OK, I uninstalled to get a clean start. I dowloaded Myth II from thye disc. I then downloaded and ran the 1.7 update linked above. I then downloaded the Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta 2 Modern file and inserted into the MythII file. Same result. The screen blinks then nothing. I also did try using Myth II 1.7.1 Public Beta 2 Classic and put in the Myth II file, clicked on it and it ran, correctly updated. So, unless you have another suggestion I am tempted to go with the classic version.

I can see the Civil War and WWII plugins now, although I can only get one to work, and it keeps defaulting to "The Willow" scenario with WWII troops. I am not sure on the plugin selection screen if I should be typing anything in the space for "Filter". I certainly appreciate the help.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Can you post the myth_log.txt file from the Myth II Public Beta 2 modern?