Uninstall Worries...

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
jackalwi

Uninstall Worries...

Post by jackalwi »

OK so I decided to install Myth II cuz I remembered all the great times I had with it, my copy of the Myth II disc was preordered way way way way back in the day (I've even got the promotional shirt tucked away in a drawer somewhere to prove it!)

Now, I know I've heard there was a fatal bug involving the Uninstaller for Myth II, that being if launched, it would proceed to erase your ENTIRE C: drive.

All I want to know is if the current Project Magma versions fix this (was it fixed in a much older previous Bungie patch 1.x?), and if I should have any precautions about how to remove the program in the future (if it should ever come to that)?

Post by Avatara »

The current patch (1.6) fixs this bug.
Actually, most retail copies didn't have the bug as far as I know, because they were patched to version 1.1.
Site Admin

Re: Uninstall Worries...

Post by Death's Avatar »

Actually I think it only happened if you installed it right to your C drive. Don't hold me to that...
king paris

Post by king paris »

the current patch? not precisely.

this was fixed at the time of myth 2's launch, bungie representatives literally flew to the manufacturing company, tore open boxes with the infected copies and replaced them.

and this happened almost 10 years ago, mind you.
hey :D
jackalwi

Post by jackalwi »

Well, I did some reading around the intarweb...
And apparently the bugged disc preorder receipients (spelling sucks) received non-bugged replacement discs for free, which I never got (so maybe my preorder copy isn't bugged after all?)

On a brighter note, it's nice to know it was fixed in 1.1, it may have happened many years ago but it's still something to keep in mind. Thanks for the responses!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

king paris wrote:the current patch? not precisely.

this was fixed at the time of myth 2's launch, bungie representatives literally flew to the manufacturing company, tore open boxes with the infected copies and replaced them.
It's hard to fault Bungie for the uninstall bug, I mean who at Bungie after playing the awesomeness that was Myth could even IMAGINE that ANYONE would want to uninstall if from their computer?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

If you want to be absolutely sure you can just manually delete the Myth 2 folder to remove it if the time comes.