ideas for graphical improvements

A forum for dicussing all matters related to the tain.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

yeah, on the colour scheme, this has already been debated to death, and I was one in favour of a more "mythy" flavour, but in the end, i've been totally won over by the final result.

I still think the game banners are too much, but I do like the thumbnail for maps.

At present, users can add markup (actually, markdown) to their descriptions which allows for banners and screenshots etc (check out some of the magma entries!), BUT that assumes you have a host for your images, and it doesn't allow for them to be displayed in the short descriptions. At some point i'd like to see the option for people to upload an image which would be resized to an appropriate height and width for inclusion in the description and in the short list.

Anyway, give it time, it will likely get sexier as time goes on. Right now the focus is on content, stability, and functionality.

One big upcoming features is user controlled theme. Specifically for the front page, but maybe more. allowing you to determine what you want displayed, in what order, and perhaps more. This could tie in nicely with VR's suggestion of a graphics lite option.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I've just implemented the first part of user preferences on how things are displayed. You can now go to 'profile' and select the number of items you want shown for each game on the front page. Enjoy!
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Even cooler, great work guys!

It'll be fun to see what the end result will be, if there ever is one :wink:
I bet you'll never run out of small improvements and special effects stuff 8) :shock:
Point

colors

Post by Point »

"yeah, on the colour scheme, this has already been debated to death, and I was one in favour of a more "mythy" flavour, but in the end, i've been totally won over by the final result. "

Doob ya but your a code crunching tech guy :)/ your susceptible to such smooth graphical ploys. And it does look clean and concise its apples iMyth evolving.... though it is surely far departed from the game and thats what my posts are pointing to that any site myth game related should clearly and with spice, creativity and maybe even goulish art relate to the games ... that's what my feable attempts are trying to push.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i dont find the tain confusing at all and i like it very much, however i love the thumbnail idea and it'd be nice to see it done. I think it should also be very encouraged for users to put up screenshots of their plugins, just because it just makes it SO much better. id wanna see some sneakpeaks of what im about to download.
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

You can put screenshots. You just put them in your Map Description, not the lists.

-DA
ozone

Post by ozone »

like >THIS<
do it.
madshackle

Post by madshackle »

ozone wrote:like >THIS<

I get a 404 error when i click on the Blue & Grey Manual link.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

madshackle wrote:
ozone wrote:like >THIS<

I get a 404 error when i click on the Blue & Grey Manual link.
works fine for me.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I know it isn't terribly constructive, but can I say I love what you guys are doing and you all rock?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I fixed the link for the Blue & Grey Manual.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Back on the Mill I wouldn't dl a single file that didn't have an overhead or screenshot or thumbnail or something attached to it.. well, maybe if it was recommended by someone I trusted.. but otherwise I'd just stay away.

I'm just worried people will feel it'd be to much trouble adding screenshots and what not and you'll get a bunch of junk stuff floating around that no one knows anything about..
vinylrake

Re: ..

Post by vinylrake »

TheHelmet wrote:Back on the Mill I wouldn't dl a single file that didn't have an overhead or screenshot or thumbnail or something attached to it.. well, maybe if it was recommended by someone I trusted.. but otherwise I'd just stay away.

I'm just worried people will feel it'd be to much trouble adding screenshots and what not and you'll get a bunch of junk stuff floating around that no one knows anything about..
well you could always ask me, I'll tell you whatever you want to know.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

VR, in hindsight I should probably have stressed the 'someone I trust' part :D :wink:
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I think it's kind of silly how some iconic graphics (for M2 at least) are those from the 1.5 series of icons, while others are still from the archaic 1.3 series of icons. All the icons should be the same genre. Don't you guys agree?