A Myth Wiki - helpers needed

Talk about anything here.
The Elfoid

A Myth Wiki - helpers needed

Post by The Elfoid »

I may soon be setting one up with Vinylrake. So people don't get annoyed at biased opinions, and also since I don't happen to know everything I'd like some helpers.

It'll be covering development history, map-making history/teams/landmarks, MWC, general community history (creation process of things like playmyth/mariusnet and I'm sure the infamous fallings out they caused will get some reference), information on sites no longer in existence (most obviously The Mill and Townhall), key individuals in the community's history (I'm thinking guys like Ironduke, Clem, the most powerful players/orders e.g. Chohan, Civil Order). How much on each topic will vary hugely of course.

Extracts from noteworthy news postings on sites (e.g. playmyth goes live) will be used too. Generally all the information needed is around, it just needs puting there and confirming/checking.

First job is just gonna be moving all the pages from Myth's articles on Wikipedia which I can do then letting people go into them in detail as well as work out how best to divide them up once we have a Wiki to ourselves.

If anyone's interested, post here or PM me. I'll send a PM if anyone's 'application' is approved.
lank

Post by lank »

i can't guarantee that i'll have time to actively involve myself in the project, but i'd like to see this come through. i've been in the myth community to some degree since around the early part of '99 (holy crap! Se7en years already!) and can probably give you a little information on a few things, like Soonâ„¢, the vista mapmaking forums, one or two prominent mapmakers and groups and some technical details for mapmaking and some related hints and the like. feel free to pm me if you'd like to include anything i can offer, but like i said, i probably won't be able to take on a particularly active role.

hell, when you get thing up and running i can probably start an article on renaissance mapmaking and get khel to help me with the details and jog each others' memories. not that we actually got much out while we existed as such, but it's part of the history...

*sigh* now i'm all nostalgic. thanks, TE. :roll:

(but seriously, let me know when things are open for any such contributions like i said above and i'll see what i can do. :) )
*toot*
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Here's some points to include that I can recall from my times around here:

--MapMakers
- VR Vorracious Rabbits
- CP Clan Plaid
- Badlands
- Santa's Head
- Creation
- Vista Cartel

--History-making Releases
- WW2
- JINN
- The Seventh God
(many more here)

--Sites
- Myth Townhall
- Myth.Bungie.Org
- Rampancy.Net
- Myth Village
- Mythology aka MythNews.com

--Tools (* are major ones)
-Amber*
-Antero
-Apathy
-Ballistic*
-Bartok
-Brimstone
-Chaos
-Chisel
-CLUT Edit
-CLUT Utility
-CORE Edit
-DeadTags
-Despair
-Fear*
-Film Difficulty Level
-GeomExp
-GeomView
-Gor autottyper
-Gore
-Head Edit
-hedit
-Hex Edit
-Ichor
-Jade
-LazyScripter
-Loathing*
-Localfetch
-LPGREDIT
-MacsBug
-Malice
-MEEFEDIT
-Mesh Inspector Gold
-MONS Inventory
-MONS Morale
-MONSEDIT
-Myth Chat Extractor
-Myth Extractor*
-Myth Fixer
-Myth II Autotyper
-Myth II File Placer
-Myth Keyboard Localizer
-Myth Packer
-Myth View
-Mythed*
-MythTech
-Patchwork
-PC Header Editor
-Plugin Builder
-Plugin Patcher
-PlugOv
-PlugToText
-PROJEDIT
-ReDirector
-Resedit
-Sapphire
-Shade
-Singtonet
-SoundBlighter
-Spite
-Sprite Splicer
-Stamp
-stliEdit
-Tag Extractor*
-Tahoe
-Tartan
-TextToPlug
-Textura
-Texture Pro
-Topaz
-Ultra Edit
-Ultra Film Fixer
-unMacBinary
-UnTag*
-Vegas
-Vengeance
-Weather Edit
-Wrath
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

...So, basically you want the info from the old Mill in paragraphical form?

-Oro
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

VR and I are still discussing exactly what we'll do. I'd just quite like some people ready for if it goes ahead. And it won't be identical to The Mill, no
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Oroboros wrote:...So, basically you want the info from the old Mill in paragraphical form?

-Oro
The old mill wasn't a historical article based site, it was files - maps, plugins, tools. This project would be more like a "History of Myth" site. It might have a page about notable total conversions for Myth II but it's not going to have the readmes or direct links to sites where files can be downloaded from. The Myth Map atlas already provides that Myth file/map/plugin/mapmapingTool kind of information (with admittedly varying degrees of success).

Topics in the wiki (like the ones suggested above) would be subjects that would get a sentence or two describing them, or if someone knows a lot about a topic and is willing to write about it maybe it's own page.

ps. thanks for the suggestions for topics and/or help lank & godzfire. keep em coming.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

There's enough places with information on plugins (e.g. Myth Map Atlas) that anything people looked up might just get you a small page t aking you to where it already has information posted.

I'd agree a sentence or two would be enough on most map-making groups and tools and things. If you searched for it, it could just take you to the big list. That list would have a main article on the more important groups.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:Here's some points to include that I can recall from my times around here:...
That's a good list of tools - the only things missing are:

TagEdit (TFL Fear)
The Fallen Sounds
unMacBinary

The entire list is at Myth Toolbox page.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Mapmaking groups

- Clan Plaid
- Badlands
- Creation
- Vista Cartel
- Hexographica
- Idiot Collective
- TMBM
- Smiths of Muirthemne
- Project Magma
- Flying Flip
- Renaissance

--History-making Releases
- WW2 -> Recon, Urban Recon, Combat!!, AvA 1 and 2 and some other...
- JINN
- The Seventh God
- ADT
- Leggo 1,2,3
- Wild Wild West (i think it was the top ranked plugin of all time on the Mill)
- Bushido
- Green Berets
- Myth Chess
- Throne of the Lich King
- Clue : A knife in the dark ......... "sh-boom"
- All of the marathon TC, i dont know their title by heart.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Zeph wrote: - All of the marathon TC, i dont know their title by heart.
I believe there were 3:
-ISOYG (I'll S'pht On Your Grave) tagset and mappack
-Maramyth
-SiTH (Somewhere in The Heavens)
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Lugas wrote:
Zeph wrote: - All of the marathon TC, i dont know their title by heart.
I believe there were 3:
-ISOYG (I'll S'pht On Your Grave) tagset and mappack
-Maramyth
-SiTH (Somewhere in The Heavens)
There's also a "Blast Pack" that allegedly converts units to Myth units - but I don't know it's different or just one of the above renamed.

For other groundbreaking (e.g. very original) releases I would include:

Parking Wars
CAGES
1861 Civil War
Assassin!
Manistee Paintball Challenge
MythWarrior
Laura Craft - Tomb Robber
Polycon
The Battle For Terra
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

As opposed to choosing the major map making groups, why not just make a single article for every map maker/map making group? Isn't that what a wiki is for?

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:As opposed to choosing the major map making groups, why not just make a single article for every map maker/map making group? Isn't that what a wiki is for?

-TGP-
A wiki is for whatever one wants it to be.

I would think it would be good to have a list of all known mapmakers - individuals and groups, but that would be a pretty long article/page - so I would think some of the more prolific/notable might get their own brief page/entry.

It's not meant to be divisive, but objectively there is more to be written about a prolific group who churned out maps over a period of several years like (for example) Project Magma or Creation then there is about someone who created a single (now) obscure map.

ps. feel free to suggest mapmaking groups.

pps. To illustrate WHY a single page containing a list of ALL mapmakers might be a bit overwhelming; here's the list of map authors/groups i pulled from the myth map atlas - which is probably not even complete it's just the mapmakers I personally have heard of - eg people or groups who finished and released one or more maps. Look how long the list is - and remember this is WITHOUT any description of the mapmaker or mentioning any maps he/they created. [also - there are a few duplicates in the list where the capitalization is different or the persons name is spelled slightly differently - I am too lazy to edit them out]

Aaron Dandy ,Capital ,FoxLinked ,Hells A Comin' ,Jacob Stevenson (jacobstevens ,Joel Day ,Jon Hurst ,mormith? ,Poo ,Rabid_Deer ,temekv ,Thing What Kicks 1.2 Lite} ,(Battle) Nipple ,00Agent23 ,Sk8er4life ,A-Bomber #CP#Z ,Aaron ,Aaron Rock ,Aaron Ryck ,Abe Robinson ,Acrappa ,Aeneas ? ,Aginor ,Ailil ,Alatar ,Alex Smith ,Alpha ,Alric Storm(king) ,Amadeus ,Amos ,Angus ,Andrew Gerarde / iratus ,Andrew Lee ,Andrew Rai ,Andvari ,Anubis ,ape ,ape01 ,apollo ,aqaraza ,Ar-Isildur ,Ares ,Arrakis666 ,Ashman ,Astro the Space Duck ,Asyd Rayne ,Avelyn & Czar-Perenold ,AvenueM -MR- ,B.A.Barracus ,Baak'lor ,Bad Thrall ,badlands ,BadThrall ,Baldur's Gate ,Tarous Zars ,BAMBI ,Bloodluster ,BASS ,Bastards ,Battle Nipple ,beaver ,Beer Can (Aluminum Cylinder) ,Belgarath ,Bellendaine ,Plague ,Ben Johnson ,BifBalogna ,Black Sam & Cydonian ,blackfalconsquest ,BlackSun ,Blayne Scott ,Blizzard ,Kenny ,Bloodluster ,Bobby Beazley (AlphaNumeric) ,bobert ,Bongo ,Boogerman ,Brandon Crain ,Brandon Hex,Brent ,Brent McDonald ,Aaron Justi ,Bri Guy Evil Kyle ,Brian Dixon ,Brian PowerSlave.exec Dupuis ,bubba ,Bungie ,GodzFire ,Demosthenes ,KVLtv ,Ghost Mage ,Welly ,Buzzhead ,C e r e s ,Caleb Hutchins (aka Demosthenes) ,Cam DeGray ,Capital ,Captain Canada ,Captain Pringle ,carlinho ,Cartographers of Myth ,cassius white ,cenoxide ,cerb(?) ,Cerberus (Assassin03) ,Chais aka EvilRoot < menacein ,Charizard ,Checkmate ,Chocal ,Chocal (Brian Cornelius) & bee ,Chris ,Chris J. P ,Chrono ,Chuck Sievert ,Circumflex ,clan bear ,Clan McCoolness ,Clan of the Bear [cb](aka <fs>) ,Clarke ,Clem ,Ozone ,Soma ,Col. Malcom ,Cold Steel ,CoM ,Connor ,Corbeau ,Creation Games ,Crestfallen ,Crix Impyre ,Crows Bridge Cartographers ,Crunch ,Cuo Roi ,Curious George ,Cuzog ,cwayne ,Cydonian ,Czar-Perenold, czarguy,D()A (The Flames of Chaos) ,Da' Minion ,Dagett ,Dan Putman ,Daniel Currie ,Darby Crash ,Darth Bane (TMBM) ,Dash Ripcock ,Datax ,Dauntlessmac8,Dave Shere (Bloodthirster MIA) ,David ,David (sprite) ,David Shere ,David Wellington ,DeadMan (MIA) ,Deathblade ,Deathwhore ,Deathwind (Max D.) ,Debera ,Dementor ,Demosthenes ,deranger ,digitalcowboy ,doc ,Dozer ,Dracolich ,DragonTongue ,DrunkBob ,Duncan (aka exweerdo) ,Durandal ,Dwid ?AF? ,edski ,El B (aka El Bastard) ,Chrille ,electrofryer ,TABACman ,Elijah Horton ,Empyphil ,Rakzo ,Erik Ljundahl ,Evan Thompson (Badlands) ,Evocati: Warriors of Valor ,EyeSore [cb] ,Fallen Lords Mapmaking ,Fang-Grinder ,Ferrarinu ,Ferrex ,Ferris (?) ,fisj ,Fjolnir ,Floyd is Pink ,Flummox ,FlyingFlip.com ,foxlinked ,Franois Boisvert (beaver) ,FsU ,Fuel ,G.I. Joe ,Gabriel Many (KingDuct Bacon) ,Gadianton ,Murgen ,Galileo430 ,Galleon Making Corp ,Gandalf ,garrettgf ,Garrick ,Gastropod ,Geezers From Hell ,Gehennom ,Geoff, Jieve ,George v. Woodrow IV ,GHOST ,Deathwhore ,GIANT ,Alpha ,Ghost, ,Discordia ,Malek ,GimpMask ,Gizmo HB ,Gleep ,Godbody ,Wight Trash ,Godless Map Makers ,GodzFire ,Goft, lank, & Skarg ,goku ,Goliath ,Gorak ,Gothmog ,grass ,GrimReaper ,GuS ,Hapexamendios ,Haravikk ,Haravikk Kh'arr (Iain Simms) ,Heal w Steel ,Heal with Steel ,Hell Spawn ,Hexographica ,High Plains Cartography ,Hiro ,Hoder ,Homer / MgG ,Hpaco ,Billabob, ,GMJ3 ,Hunter aka Jeff Carlson ,HWED (He Who Eats Dung) ,I am the author ,i.weiss ,Iain Simms ,Ian Simms ,ichy ,Idiot Mapmaking Collective ,Iggy Popped ,igmo ,Ingo Weiss ,InnerDemon ,IonStorm ,Iron Duke ,Iron Lung ,Isildur ,jackal ,Jagman ,Jake Madison (Forgall) ,Janus Dor ,Jason Beach (aka Stinger) ,Jeffrey R Iverson (Alias) Grim ,Jenova ,jeremy ,Joel Day ,John King ,John Marchette ,John Whitney (aka Rohan MoR) ,johnny_polite ,Jon Armstrong ,Jon Bell (aka Gadianton) ,Jon Hurst ,Jonathan (dwarfman) ,Josh Eikenberry (aka lordfly) ,Joshstar ,Joshua DeBruhl ,Joshua Jones ,Josuiken Koromoya Gengoro Nobu ,Joyrok ,jsivils ,Julian Richards ,Jungle Pickle ,K, mardichi ,Kam Figy ,Kamphtor ,Kamsar ,Kamsar & Magellan ,Kano (Joar Knutsen) ,Kelstek ,Kenny ,Khaavren ,Khaavren / Bungie ,Khadrelt ,Khellek, GHOST and others ,Khral ,Kill ,killa j (CO) ,KillerK ,killswitch ,Kim,Ji-Hyun ,King Friday (Terra Incognita) ,KLtV ,Knightmare ,Kodi ,McAllistar ,Butcher ,Korgath ,Korgath ,Kraken ,Alatar ,Kremath ,KshaQ ,KVLtv ,lank ,Lars ,LeadFeather ,Lee Gholizit ,Legolas of Clan Plaid and Malk ,Lego_maniac ,leif ,Lone Dorf ,Lord Brocktree, tLP ,Lord Icuss ,Lord Psycho ,Lord-Icuss Tank ,Losk ,LoSt ,Lothar23 (Metroid Rage) ,Lt Traveller ,M0bitz (Fellowship of Stonehei ,M0bitz(Fellowship of Stoneheim ,Mad JMen + many others ,Mad Man ,mage ,Malcom Sanders ,malek ,Haravikk ,Malek the Ancient ,Malkavian ,malory ,Mandalorian ,mantra ,Mara Jade ,Mara Jade ,Lan ,Mark Meister (crestfallen) ,Matthew J Redding ,Matthew ,maudigan ,Mauglir ,McAllister(?) - Clan Bear ,McCoolness ,Mean Chicken (Brian Luff) ,Merlin*Kjata ,Michael Schapiro mushoo ,Michy of Harajuku Drinkers ,Midnight ,Mike Dunn ,MikeStyle ,Mingna ,Minions of Doom ,Mithrandir ,Mix (Micke) ,Enigman ,Modest of Hexographica ,Molok. ,monkeyboy4 ,Monte VI ,morbias ,Mormith ,Mormith (Ken Hodgman) ,MPM & TMBM ,Mr Fusion ,mr. boob ,mr.sexwax pdb ,Murgen ,Myshkin ,Myth3 Port Authority ,Nathan Kenton ,Neanderthal ,Nick Mason ,Ninja Warrior ,Nipple ,Olof N&auml;sslander ,Omac ,onus,oogabooga ,Ordeith ,Order Of The Red Knights ,Organ Donor ,Original G ,captaintrips ,Orion ,Orlando the Axe ,Anicolyte ,Owen Griffiths -Merlin- ,Owl Boy, ,Bloodthirster ,ozone ,P.Holloway ,Paidan Fain ,Paladin - Stuart Mayne ,Paul Schrier ,Peter Isotalo (The Crimson Kin ,Peterius ,Peterius aka Peter Alexander B ,Pezzah ,Phex ,Phish (Cartographers of Myth) ,Predator ,Project Magma ,PrplPplEater ,Pumilis ,Pyro ,Pythos ,Qui-Gon Gandalf ,tmbm ,rabid_wombat ,Rainlord ,Ral Weekly (aka Tiburon) ,Ralann ,rama ,rauko, ravin ,rcope ,REDDEK ,remedial ,remus ,Revorin ,RI ,RibFeast(aka Riblime) ,Rich Gander ,Ripp ,Connor ,Rivers Coumo ,Rnard Elder ,Road ,Robert Eddy ,Robert Zackrisson ,Rohan MoR ,ROoF (Regular Order of Fries) ,Ruiner ,Visigoth ,Ryan ,Ryan Laster(Big Assassor) and ,Sam Mason ,Sam Peterson (metzger) ,Sam the Butcher ,Sancho ,Sandman ,Santa's Head (Craig Goodman) ,Satan Claws ,Scanner ,Scarecrow ,Scentless ,Sciron ,Scorch (Army) ,scott laster ,Sea Capin-HA-L ,Senile Geeser ,Fangorn Tree ,Sephiroth ,serpent ,Seth Lipton (aka Herbert West) ,Setik / Badlamds ,Sgt Turnbull ,Shepard ,Shockwave (Cybertron) ,Shogun Rabbit ,Sibrax ,sillek ,Sinister Minister ,Sir Lister of Smeg ,Sirius ,Sk8er4life ,ska (remdent?) ,Skywalker ,Slayer ,Sliver ,SlugMan ,Smash ,Snakebellywagonrut ,Soma ,SoMM ,Soren ,Soulblaster,Soulsbane ,SpaceBar ,Spandro ,Spanky ,Speckled Jim ,splat ,Sporks ,squash ,Stephen ,Steve Smith ,Steven ,Stinger (Jason Beach) ,STONECOLD *FoG* ,strangelet ,Stratman ,Anubis ,Streamline ,Strider ,Strike ,Stuart Anderson ,sub ,SupahWankah/assgoblin ,SwiftDeath ,sycorax ,Sylvan Migdal ,Synapsed ,Synapsed (and friends) ,SYSTEM ,Sythe ,Talisman ,TalonSoft/Take Two ,Tarous Zars ,Teemu Hummer ,Teemu Koivunen ,Temekv ,terrapin ,Tetsuo ,Thalander ,the Bar 7 Group ,the Cadre ,The Chameleon ,The Engineer ,The Engineer,the great Pie Eater ,The Plumber ,The Pope ,The Raven ,The Wanderer ,The Wolf ,TheOgre ,third coil ,Thomas Holmes a.k.a. Aziraphel ,Thoran ,Tibb (Paul Tibbit) ,Titan & Sk8er4Life ,TJ,TMBM (They Might Be Mapmakers) ,toecutter ,Tonatiuh of TMBM ,tornberry ,Trioch ,Troll ,tru7h ,True Peril tychomax ,Tyr'Kahn aka TJ ,Tyson "Ferrex" Green ,Uddist ,uDogs ,Ugly Puppy ,Ultros, uWillDie ,Vamp ,various ,Verdugo, Vermillion and Crow ,Version ,vinylrake,ViperX ,VistaCartel ,Volund ,VonPaulus ,voracious rabbits ,W. R. Ripp Swindell /fs ,Walter Diethorn, Ajora ,Walter James Linsley (Zen-La C ,Warlock ,webscreamer ,WEZ ,Whiskey Jack ,White Knight ,White Rhino / udogs ,Wight Trash ,William Wallace ,William Wallet & Da Cid ,Windows Crusher ,wod`asini & Cold Steel ,Wraeththu (Brad Ewing) ,xenon ,Xzzy ,Yasushi Odaira ,YHMPY ,Ymir ,Z. Rupchich ,Zalf ,Zandervix ,Zeph ,zepp ,ZJT ,])eadMan ,Evil
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hehe. Sweet list vinyl, but I think what Cid meant is that you don't need a list at all. Each person can get their own article as provided. Rather than trying to put a "mapmakers article," you could Just do individual articles for as many as you can, then the community/other informed individuals can fill in the blank spots.

Or, you could combine the two concepts: Have an article that discusses prominent mapmaking groups, but still aim to someday have an article for all of them.

I mean, the general idea of a wiki is to have as much info possible. The method of the wiki is to get it from everyone.

-DA
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

oh look im in it! I rule!