Loathing Woes Pt 2 - It's gotten worse!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

A while back I posted, saying that the map actions in Loathing were acting funny. To wit - they were still there, but just with no name, so I had to guess my way through them to get the right ones.

NOW... it seems there are missing actions from the list. Unit Control is no longer there, the list ends at Wander or something stupid that I'm not even going to use.

I'd really appreciate any help (if anyone knows what the hell is going on here). This is the 3rd time I've started this mesh from scratch, all the other maps behave normally. Just this one mesh seems to go nuts - and it's the last level of Freedom 2, so my impetus to finish the entire plugin is waning every time this thing fouls up on me. (and I'd hate to have wasted a year and a bit on it).
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Udogs Hotline. Now. :D

You on mac or PC wallet? If mac, you might want to check out myrd's latest build of Carbonized Loathing... it's pretty solid now.. no scripting problems at least :o

You could be having some wack ass header problems... with string lists overwriting those strings that lable map action names and parameters in scripting... maybe. Unlikely.. but.. maybe. Something to check perhaps :)
Industry

Post by Industry »

This still seems like a memory issue to me, but what do I know.

I'm guessing Loathing reads the map actions (the ones its gonna show you not your existing script) from the "template" tags, so maybe there is so much stuff in local that Loathing isn't able to load it all before it runs out of memory.

More wild speculation brought to you by:
Industry
When tame speculation just isn't good enough
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I dont think that would be the case.. but i dont know how big their local is.. I've not run into any problems on The Fallen's Vengeance local yet... and I'm 200 megs in.. Best bet is to talk to myrd on magma.net :)
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hey William, my guess is you are using too many custom string list tags, and like Graydon suggests, they are bumping the string lists for map actions in Loathing. No worries, here's what you do:

1. Remove a bunch of your custom String List tags from your local folder and put them somewhere safe.

2. Open Loathing and you should now see and be able to use the missing actions.

3. When you are ready to make a plugin, drop the string list tags back in your local first. You can have them in any time you are working in Fear, actually, just not Loathing.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hey all - thanks for the advice, will try it as soon as my mac starts working again :(

(things go from bad to worse for me. I tell ya, if this thing dies, Freedom 2 is out the window along with my movies and everything).

And incidentally - yep. HUGE amount of string lists. In fact this campaign is turning out to be one fatass of a plugin (I think it's the multiplayer levels. Including them when there's no one on Mariusnet might seem erroneous, but what the hell I like 'em).
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

There are always tons of players on Playmyth Wallet. Its the new place to be. :)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Heck, if I ever get Myth back on this stupid PC (Mac is dead at the moment, it's just broken!) maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and visit PlayMyth. Was always too lazy to do so beforehand.

*sniff* how I miss those Saturday mornings with the Sloths.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em