Myth 2 1.5 (Win)Crashes after every other game - Very frustrating...

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Seoulstriker

Post by Seoulstriker »

Hi,

First, I'd love to say that your work is simply incredible! I'm so happy to be able to play myth again after so many years. :)

Second, I have a bit of a problem with Myth 2 1.5 for windows. At one point i was able to serve a game and then play several levels without crashing. Now, I can't even start a multiplayer game without crashing. To get around this, I have to start a "test" level in multiplayer without anyone joining. Then I start another multiplayer game with another person joining. I can play for one level like that, but if I try to start another level, it just crashes to the desktop. So basically if I want to play a level over or do the next level, I have to quit, restart the game, start a multiplayer game by myself, and then start another multi game with the other person joined.

It's a very strange problem. It's only in multiplayer with someone else connected. It might help that the other person is running a mac while I'm running a PC. I didn't have this problem before and it started all of a sudden. I don't know what's going on.

Please help! :)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Try deleting your preferences. If that doesn't help - can you post the contents of your mythlog.txt file (in the Myth II directory) after a crash occurs?
Seoulstriker

Post by Seoulstriker »

I deleted all of my preferences, but I get the same problem.

Here is the myth.log:

2004-10-31 17:20:31
Myth II Build 234 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Using GDI for Input
Mouse appears to have 5 buttons and 3 axes.
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Error: Data Missing in .\Myth2Code\cutscenes\cutscenes.c, line #369: Unable to find the following cutscene - prologue.smk

Running Direct3D (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900) at 1280 x 1024, 16 bit
Starting mesh "The Great Library"...

What's going wrong with this?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I can't see anything wrong with your mythlog... so let's look elsewhere.

When you say multiplayer, do you mean using PlayMyth? If so, try to see if the same happens if you use TCP/IP. If you used TCP/IP in the first place, make sure all players' local folders are empty. Also, try different maps to see if some sort of pattern can be found.
Seoulstriker

Post by Seoulstriker »

My problem occurs when on TCP/IP. It doesn't matter what level it is on. It's strange how the rule is so definite: you MUST load up a level before allowing someone to join your game. When you are finished with that, you MUST quit or it'll just crash when restarting the level.

Do you think the client machine could be crashing my Myth 2?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Hmm, I'll look into this on my end - it may be a bug in Myth. I'll see if I can reproduce it, if I am successful, it will be fixed for 1.5.1.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Ok, I can't reproduce this on my setup, so more questions for you. Are you sure the Mac client is using the same version of Myth II as your PC host? If you delete prefs, and don't set them (ie keeping the defaults), does this still occur?
Seoulstriker

Post by Seoulstriker »

ok, I deleted the prefs on my machine and my friends machine, and the problem disappears.

Now, I don't know if the prefs problem was on his side or not because this was the first test we did where he deleted the prefs. I'll do further testing to see what the problem turns out to be.

Thanks for the help! :D
Industry

Post by Industry »

So,

I see deleting prefs a solution for alot of multiplayer blues. What is in there that causes such a big problem? Or is it still a black art?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Not sure, otherwise we could just fix it. But since it's been proven to fix many issues, it's a worthwhile solution to suggest to people experiencing problems.
Seoulstriker

Post by Seoulstriker »

The problem is that I checked the box for "3d Sound"!!! Strange, as I have an SB Audigy 2 ZS. What do you think about that?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sounds like either you have a bad driver, or maybe Myth's 3D sound is simply incompatible with your sound card. :\
CIK

Post by CIK »

Myth's 3d sound code is very ancient and was pretty cursty to start with so it is unlikely to work well with most modern cards & drivers.
Thunderok

Post by Thunderok »

We just started playing Myth 2 again and are using 1.5. We are on a local LAN.

We have got the same error message as Seoul Striker.
Error: Data Missing in .\Myth2Code\cutscenes\cutscenes.c, line #369: Unable to find the following cutscene - prologue.smk

Sometimes it is a bit different but always looking to ..\Myth2Code\cutscenes\

I am always the server and the joining party gets booted to desktop when I start the map. We have found no connection to what may be causing it.

We will try deleting the preferences folder next time it happens but until now the only fix has been reinstalling the clients game.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

The cutscene message can be ignored. It does not cause crashes or do anything other than preventing myth from playing the cutscenes that are not found.

Are you all using the same version of Myth 2? Are you playing regular maps or plugins? If it's plugins, does everyone have the proper plugin? Are all local folder contents the same for all players? Direct3D rendering can also be causing problems, try using Software Mode.