Tested and working current Linux distros?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Kevo

Tested and working current Linux distros?

Post by Kevo »

I am trying to get Myth II running on a linux machine that currently has Elementary OS installed on it. It is a machine my son will use for his school work and some limited gaming. I currently have a few freebie linux games on it and one windows game that runs under wine just fine.

Myth II however seems to have a problem with the startup interface running in a tiny window. At first the window was all black, but after manually editing one of the preference files, interface plugin maybe, with a screen resolution that is actually supported on this machine I can now see the interface in the tiny box and start the game which seems to work.

I suspect the tiny window issue is related to hidpi on this machine or something with elementary os which is a bit different than most linux distros I think.

I was curious which linux distros people are running myth on successfully. I'd like to run something that works well with the hidpi display on this machine but also will work with myth so I can play it with my son, in no blood mode of course. :-)
akula65

Re: Tested and working current Linux distros?

Post by akula65 »

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7463 for openSUSE 15.3 Leap x64 success (not hiDPI, by the way.

This thread may also be helpful, although I don't know if Myrd's comment is still accurate in the latest release:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7091
Kevo

Post by Kevo »

I got it working on Elementary and Manjaro. The only particularly annoying thing is the small screen when the game starts up. On this machine the lowest res is 1920x1080 so whatever I pick for interface I have to go into the preference file and set the resolution to 1920x1080 or whatever the computer is actually set to. Then the interface shows up correctly it's just a tiny window and not full screen. At least there is a manual work around. The game itself plays full screen no problem and seems to run fine.

Thanks for the pointers.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Success in Linux Mint Xfce 21.1, but had the same problem of being unable to get the menu displayed in fullscreen.

One workaround for the menu is to set the display (xfce's screen settings) to the same resolution as the menu, 640x480 in my case. The menu will then be displayed fullscreen, and the game itself will still run at the resolution one has set in the preferences.

One can automate this by creating a script which sets the resolution identical to the menu's (in mint this can be done with xrandr), then runs the game, then sets the resolution back to your default resolution after one exits.

Downsides are that the monitor may treat the old aspect ratio incorrectly and that there is a short blackout when changing resolutions.

For me, the only problem left is that screen tearing is inconsistent with the vsync setting, i.e. sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, regardless of whether or not vsync is enabled in the game's settings.