Fear - sounds (and amber - icons) - Questions

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Trioch

Post by Trioch »

I'm a pain in the ass, but I've been trying all day with this here... I have some sounds I want to import, they are fairly long. Whenever I attempt to, Fear just quits without any explanation (I'm using OS X, so it's a pain to open the classic emulator every time) what am I doing wrong? The files are in the proper format (some of them work)...

Also: Once a collection is created with Amber, how do you set it up to appear as an ammunition icon? I can't seem to locate it after setting up it's collection references.

Thanks for replies.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I have no idea of how to do sounds on a mac, but for your second questions, if you are asking how to set it up in the moster tag as an ammunition tag, first you have to set in amber your collection info as monter and projectile, and then create a projectile in fear with the collection sequence you want to make appear, and once you did that projectile you can go to the monster tag and select it from the ammunition tag.
I never did one though..hehe I always left it blank but that's how I think you can do it.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Trioch wrote:Fear just quits without any explanation (I'm using OS X, so it's a pain to open the classic emulator every time) what am I doing wrong?

Trioch, you aren't really doing anything wrong: the reason Fear crashes is because it uses Mac 9.x; because it is using an older operating system it has trouble importing anything made with OSX. This is a very troublesome problem that I have run into, and there isn't really anything you can do about it. You could switch to using an older Macintosh to import files (I use an iMac with 8.6 to import sound and collections), switch to a PC, or just wait for someone to make a version of Fear that runs on OSX.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful… :cry:

As for making an ammunition icon: you have to import the icon into a sequence using Amber. Then, using Fear, go into that unit's monster tag and click on sequences. Then choose the correct sequence for ammunition icon.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well, I had that problem meself and just found the solution:

I have a mac running on os x 10.3.4 so I guess it should work for you too.

1)I downloaded a program freeware for 14 days named sound studio. Guess you can get it here
http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

2)open your sounds on that program, edit as you wish, then
3)export using quicktime and set rate to 22.050 khz as .wav file
4)try that your sounds aren't longer than 2 minutes more or less.
5)open fear on mac classic 9.
6)go to sounds in the local folder on fear
7)make a new tag and import your wav file...
there ya go...
the only thing I don't know how to solve is how to crack this program to make it go beyond the 14 day trial....hehehe
good luck!
carlinho
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Road

Post by Road »

SoundConverter.app works really well and is free with no time limit for Mac.
As stated by Carlinho it must be in Aiff 22.050 and SoundConverter will do it instantly..and more than one sound at a time :D If you cant find it look on Udogs Hotline server for it in Uploads>Usefull Tools>mac stuff

As far as far as the ammo icon the collection MUST be in the units collection unless its an artifact then it can be in any collection thats marked in Amber as "projectile".

If you want to give a dwarf the ammo icon of..say an egg..youd have to open dwarf in Amber and export the color table...make an egg with the duffs coloer table in your art program and then import it into the dwarf collection..not only is it a bit of work to do but itll add alot of MB to your plugin due to the dwarf being added in as a new collection..just for an egg.

If its for a certian item just make the projectile an artifact..lable it to dwarf and mark its collection as your new egg collection...but you must still mark your new egg collection as a projectile i think in collection information.

EDIT------

Actually on Mac the collection of the monster and the collection of the Artifact have to be the same...on PC they dont but if set it differently on PC it may crash all Mac users durring game.

Edited By Road on 1093636826