Myth II 1.7.2 Released for Linux!

Talk about anything here.
Myrd
Site Admin

Myth II 1.7.2 Released for Linux!

Post by Myrd »

Project Magma is proud to announce the release of Myth II 1.7.2 for Linux.

No longer will Linux players have to resort to using Wine or booting into Windows to take advantage of the latest improvements to Myth II or to play online with other players. Instead, they can now enjoy the same native Myth II experience alongside existing Windows and Mac players of the game.

The Linux release of Myth II 1.7.2 is fully compatible with Myth II 1.7.2 on other platforms, allowing it to run the latest plugins available on The Tain and to play online on Mariusnet.

Download the Myth II 1.7.2 Linux Installer or the Linux Demo today. The Myth II 1.7.2 Linux installer can be used to upgrade an existing Myth II installation or to install the updated version directly using an original Myth II CD.

Going forward, we expect future updates to the game to be released on all three platforms simultaneously.
myth_is_pleasure

Re: Myth II 1.7.2 Released for Linux!

Post by myth_is_pleasure »

Thanks Project Magma! This is great news!
ki86m

Post by ki86m »

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you very much from the Russian Linux users!!!
Will there ever ported to the first and third parts?
It would be great.
qwarqwa

Post by qwarqwa »

Put it on my netbook and the installer looks really polished. Thanks for the hard work!
Mythikos

Post by Mythikos »

Thanks a lot for the work and the hours you are putting in Myth and specially for this Linux version boys! :D
Nod

Post by Nod »

As an owner and player of the Loki port I want to say thank you very much! I have been waiting for this for a long time. I have been playing again for the last three weeks and having a blast. Some people really appreciate the work you guys put in. I am just sorry I didn't notice it sooner.

I agree that the installer is pretty well done too, good job!
jpeart

Post by jpeart »

I've been playing Myth II for years using Wine. Thank you so much to all those who put in the required effort to make the native Linux version available. This is just fantastic!
qednet

Post by qednet »

Sweet :) Nice work people.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Hi there, is there any way of making the game write its configuration and save games on ~/.something? I'd like to pack the demo as an auto-executable package, but that involves a read-only data directory. It'd also help people creating distribution-specific packages, which are installed on /usr/something or /opt/something.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Raziel wrote:Hi there, is there any way of making the game write its configuration and save games on ~/.something? I'd like to pack the demo as an auto-executable package, but that involves a read-only data directory. It'd also help people creating distribution-specific packages, which are installed on /usr/something or /opt/something.
Have you tried making 'preferences' a symlink to a different location?
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Yep, doesn't work, Myth2 tries to write myth_log.txt in the very root directory of the game, and besides the actual error I get when trying to run the game from an AppImage is
Cannot set exclusive mode.
Myth II is already running, or the Myth directory is marked read-only.
So it looks like the game actually checks for writable permissions
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Unstickying since Linux support is now mainstream with 1.8.