Float stb oos films

Talk about anything here.
igmo

Post by igmo »

in the oPoP QR there was a game of float stb. most brackets had an oos in
their game, and some had a crash (or two.)

i put a call out for ppl to send in their films, hoping to get sets from the
same match. i only have two sets of two films of the same game - but do have
all the others for your pleasure.

they are named x-y-a, where x is the match, y is the problem. for matches 9 and 16,
there is an a and b version, which are different computers. a is no
oos, b is from the oos player.

for match 5, which had multiple crashes - danger sent in a screen capture of the error dialogue generated by XP.

every oos was late in the game, and in or near water - mb an objects or
unhidden water objects issue.

hit has a theory that its about dwarf dud's:

"I think I isolated the cause. Near the ball, a dorf threw a bottle onto a
zerk's head. In my non-OOS film it was a dud, and I'm guessing it exploded
to make them go OOS. Most of the new OOS films I've seen and experienced
revolve around dorf duds/explosions not registering the same way for
everyone. I made a post on this in the forums too"

who knows, mb there is something.

personally, i experience more oos and crashes with 1.5. my paranoid theory
is that one of the downloads (mac vs pc or manual vs auto) is a tiny bit
different build. course that would probably lead to oos even more often,
and not related to water - i don't know

.zip of all files is available at: http://www.traininghall.net/myth2/tourney/oPoP4/float-oos.zip

Edited By igmo on 1088818479
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

So will I. Many thanks igmo, I know how hard it is to get people to send films in.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

When I watched the films, on either Mac or Windows, I don't go OOS. If the cause were a difference between the app on one platform rather than another, or a coding error such as use of uninitialized variables, then watching the film would make me go OOS.

So either something has gone AWOL in people's setups or its a networking issue not captured in the film. I had this happen as well with some Dead of Winter films that I received, and I'm drawing blanks as to where to go from here.

Igmo, can you check to see if the films go OOS on your end? In fact, can everyone who reads this spend a few minutes going through Igmo's films and let me know if it OOSes for you? We really need help here if we're going to have a chance of fixing this.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

I was one of the people that crashed out on float stb. Its not caused by any single incident, someone crashed out before me and I could still play normally for about 30 secs and then I got sent to desktop too.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

The OOS and the crashing are separate issues. Unfortunately I don't know of any occasion when films have helped in replicating a crash, however thats usually not the case with OOS, which is what I'm concerned about resolving first.

If these films don't go OOS on the replay for anyone then we need to explore what other possible causes there may be. A process of elimination if you will, for which we'll need help from people/hosts who seem to go OOS a lot. The first step is finding out whether the films go OOS for the people who had the OOS in-game.
igmo

Post by igmo »

i watched all the float stb games submitted, 2 films go oos for me (brackets 6 and 11). you already have those films, but here is a .zip of just them - in case others want to test. (i think the #6 film might be labled 7)

http://www.traininghall.net/myth2/tourney/oPoP4/float-oos-in-film.zip

i'm viewing on XP with 1.5 using a nVidia card
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Ah, this is progress then :D

Igmo, can you try moving out your preferences folder, then watch those films and see if they still OOS for you? Process of elimination etc :) If the OOS goes away, you could then try moving your old prefs back one by one and see which causes the OOS to happen again.
igmo

Post by igmo »

i recently deleted all my prefs - the oos persists.

i am away from my puter now - but can try moving the prefs when i get back (this afternoon.) not sure what that will do.

stepping back, what issues would cause more than half of the float games to have a drop or oos? is there something that is related to the water rendering lag? can it be a difference in builds? why would it be so prevalent on float? can pmnet drop data be checked before and after 1.5? is the drop % higher now?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Unfortunately I don't know of any occasion when films have helped in replicating a crash,

Actually, I've fixed several crashes with the help of films. However, for that to be possible, the film must also crash the game when viewed again, which is often not the case (and not the case in these films I think). However, if any of the people who've crashed are on OS X, would it be possible for them to submit their Crash Reports - as those are pretty helpful.

PS: Also make sure everyone is using the official 1.5 final builds. Some FPS testing builds Iron has made are not compatible with the 1.5 final, and do cause OOS, if some people were using those while playing, that may very likely be the cause.

Edited By Myrd on 1089036746
Grignard

Post by Grignard »

igmo wrote:i watched all the float stb games submitted, 2 films go oos for me (brackets 6 and 11). you already have those films, but here is a .zip of just them - in case others want to test. (i think the #6 film might be labled 7)

http://www.traininghall.net/myth2/tourney/oPoP4/float-oos-in-film.zip

i'm viewing on XP with 1.5 using a nVidia card

I watched these two films and neither went OOS for me.
I'm on Win98 using a Radeon 9800.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

And both of you are using the 1.5 final build?

EDIT: this is most peculiar.. on the 1.5 final build on m OS X system, one of those two films goes OOS, the other doesn't.

Edited By Myrd on 1089058109
Grignard

Post by Grignard »

Myrd wrote:And both of you are using the 1.5 final build?

EDIT: this is most peculiar.. on the 1.5 final build on m OS X system, one of those two films goes OOS, the other doesn't.

If you're asking me, yes. When I load up M2, it simply says "v1.5"
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

... And none of the films go OOS for me on either my OSX or Win2k system :\

The reason I suggested removing the prefs was that the structure of several prefs files was altered during development. When our private testers had their old prefs in, it somehow caused OOS, fixed after they removed them.

The automated installers removed preferences, however many people could have used manual installers or run the auto one into a dummy folder and copied files across, in which case they could still have old prefs.

All of which is moot though if you guys are having OOS issues _after_ having removed the preferences. I don't know why this is prevalent on Float yet, and won't know until we find what's causing it.

Myrd, I'll look for you on hotline & talk to you about what we can do to narrow this down.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

it may be the combination of float and StB. Apparently Winter is another problemativ map.