any multiplayer map tutorial?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
carlinho

any multiplayer map tutorial?

Post by carlinho »

I need to set up some multiplayer maps and I suck at it, any tutorial out there to learn basics?

thanks!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Jon God

Re: any multiplayer map tutorial?

Post by Jon God »

carlinho wrote:I need to set up some multiplayer maps and I suck at it, any tutorial out there to learn basics?

thanks!
Not sure what you are trying to do, but my best advice is to ask people. :)
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Well, what are you trying to do?

Normally you can just place units for both teams, make them tradeable or untradeable, and you're pretty much done. All this is done through Loathing, I would suggest opening up loathing and look at some of the multiplayer maps that come standard with myth. Should give you a good starting point. Unless your trying to do something alot fancier what myth already has. Then I'd need to know what your up to : )
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... =mapmaking

several of the tutorials in this list have sections on setting up maps. if you are creating a map from scratch you'll want one of the complete guides, like the mapmaking for n00bs (by heal with steel) or Cydonian's mapmaking guide.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

thanks vinyl
cheers
Point

Post by Point »

I have a base setup i use for multiplayer maps.... pre placed flags balls and starts... I just import the new colormap over the top of it...

that way the starts are already set and the flags and such are already placed for the various game types with balanced spacing..

I might be in LA next weekend... if not I can try to explain it in chat...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

besides the obvious, like making sure you have the right netgame objects for the different gametypes you want to have on your map, the relative proximity of player/team starting locations to balls and flags can be important in a lot of the game types. if one team or the other has a few second advantage that can change the outcome of a really close game. of course it gets a little more complicated to figure out if the terrain is mixed or there is impassable terrain one team or another has to go around to get to flag/ball.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

true,
of course that will need testing in the carentan map to see what's better

I asked for this because in this carentan map I might have misplaced flags, but in capture the flag, as soon as I start a game as 1 team, it looses immediately
and I'm multi-faking it, hosting "faked" not in marius net but in limbo, just on my computer (where I could see only 1 team playing...)
so how am I going to loose if it's just me....

something weird is happening there

on the other hand, which flag you need to place to make your units spawn?
is there a specific flag I should use?
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

actually I found what happened.
I placed the capture the flag, flags, only on 1 team side, team 0
so computer thinks because team 1 doesn't have a flag captured, that they lost theirs=
they lost the game...

now, what I want to create is

1)a game where you need to capture all flags, and the team that at the moment of game end (due to time expiration) has more flags...wins...

2)a game where you win if you capture certain territory (like certain areas of the map)

how do you set up that?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

carlinho wrote:1)a game where you need to capture all flags, and the team that at the moment of game end (due to time expiration) has more flags...wins...
Flag Rally or Territories. You just described an existing gametype. Perhaps read up on the rest.
carlinho wrote:2)a game where you win if you capture certain territory (like certain areas of the map)
Capture the Flag?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:
carlinho wrote:1)a game where you need to capture all flags, and the team that at the moment of game end (due to time expiration) has more flags...wins...
Flag Rally or Territories. You just described an existing gametype. Perhaps read up on the rest.
The only additional bit is that the game will also end if any team captures/contorls all the targets before the time runs out.
Pyro wrote:
carlinho wrote:2)a game where you win if you capture certain territory (like certain areas of the map)
Capture the Flag?
If you want a larger area a team has to control you could set up a game of territories with multiple flags defining the area('territory') you want one team to control. If you don't want to have the area be defined by a bunch of visible flags, you could either set the starting elevation of the flags to far enough below the ground that they wouldn't be visible, change the flag bitmap to something not as noticeable (a rock, or a plant, etc), or maybe make the flag invisible? (not sure if the last is possible in fear)
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

interesting, still if I don't place a flag where one of the team stands at start, they'll automatically loose somehow...
is there a way around that,
I want one team to start controlling a town (carentan), and the other to take control from them, so if they do take control they win....
is that possible?
I don't want to place a flag for team 1 where they start because that would be in a road on the extreme outside of the town, and it's a hassle to once battle sets up in the town to need to go outside town to get that flag....
how can you go around placing that 1 x flag for team?
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Something is mixed up then. All the SB Multiplayer maps you dont start on a flag for Flag Run or Terries.

Up load the map and I'll take a crack at it. Might be better of going with a custom scenario. PM me the link and exact instructions on what you want the multi to look like.
Isolder

Post by Isolder »

carlinho wrote:interesting, still if I don't place a flag where one of the team stands at start, they'll automatically loose somehow...
I want one team to start controlling a town (carentan), and the other to take control from them, so if they do take control they win....
is that possible?
I don't want to place a flag for team 1 where they start because that would be in a road on the extreme outside of the town, and it's a hassle to once battle sets up in the town to need to go outside town to get that flag....

Why not just make it Last Man on the Hill?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

carlinho wrote:interesting, still if I don't place a flag where one of the team stands at start, they'll automatically loose somehow...
is that possible?
if it's capture the flag each team has to have control of the flag assigned to their player/team# or the game will end.

I've heard a way around this - customized for the way you describe what you want, would be to place the defending team at the flag they have to defend, and for the other team, place a flag somewhere out of the way (off screen in a corner of the map) and put one unit at the flag and make it uncontrollable, or a statue or invisible and a statue - so that the attacking team always has control of their flag no matter what happens, and the defenders have to defend their flag. The only problem is that in this scenario the defenders could never win because they can never get possession of the attackers flag. Unless you script some endgame logic that would check for # of attacking units remaining and if the number is 1 kill the last attacking unit (the one defending the attackers flag) so the defending team wins... you are stuck with something simple - like Isolder's practical and simple suggestion to make the game "Last Man on the Hill".

If you want a larger area that the defenders can move around in without losing possession of the flag, you could make multiple LMotH flags - the game would only end when all the flags belonged to one or the other team. But I don't know what would happen with scoring if neither team controlled all the LMotH flags.