How to Reinvent Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Leif

How to Reinvent Myth?

Post by Leif »

If Bungie or another studio were to make a spiritual successor to Myth the way that Halo is to Marathon, how could they expand and update the experience without losing what made it Myth to us?

I'm looking for your ideas on how to reinvent Myth with a new story, gameplay, and graphics that would appeal to gamers today. And how it could be marketed to gamers today.

I recently introduced Myth to five of my co-workers who are gamers and they had a blast playing multiplayer right away. Instead of one game to try it out, we ended up playing five or six. It just shows that Myth has a lasting appeal even though the style of gameplay has never been repeated.

First off, there's a lot we can learn from Myth 3. Fisj, Iggy, and the other devs did a lot to make it bigger and better, but it never felt like a true successor to the franchise. For me, the blocky characters, lack of responsiveness, and buggy online experience were the worst culprits. The dark, mucky-colored user interface and celtic vibe also felt too far removed from the originals.

Halo showed us how a game can be successfully re-imagined and appeal to a mass audience. Most of the best parts of Marathon and some of Myth live on through Halo. Unfortunately, part of its current success is due to the popularity of console gaming with controls that probably couldn't handle the micro-management of a Myth game (feel free to prove me wrong). I hope someday we'll see the Halo treatment given to Myth, if at a smaller scale.

This is purely hypothetical and has probably been discussed before, but I think it would be fun to get your fresh take. :D
Zeph

Re: How to Reinvent Myth?

Post by Zeph »

for one I think Halo could very well be played as a Real Time Tactical with myth's gameplay. The view could be zoomed out further, but i'mpretty sure it would be quite a blast to play.

If you want to keep the medieval look and setting of myth, I think something happening on another continent, could work well. We don't see the western side of the map during pregames, nor do we see accross the oceans, I'm pretty sure there are interesting stuff going on over there :P

They say fetch come from another plane/planet, I'd love to see that :P
king paris

Post by king paris »

new tournament ideas, going through with tournaments and not leaving them out to dry (aka being responsible), new plugins is alright, but even 3 or 4 dedicated ppl making plugins (or project magma in general) can produce some tight siht especially for a tournament or map contest (havbing at least 5 fufilled entries in a map contest is rare but awesome these days).all myth players living on campus should pass out the game at their campuses for free and no fee and spread the wealth.

the dl links on mwc09 forums
hey :D
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

myth would stay the same, it would get better graphics more maps and maybe even 3d units (the good kind)

-Sonix
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.