myth news

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Though its worth noting that if someone really wanted to let others know about plugins in progress... they could simply make a thread about it.
sillek

Post by sillek »

How about just a news post that says "HI! We're still alive. And so is Myth. Moar activity in teh forums [link]"

And just edit the date once a month p;
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

thats pretty much what i was just gonna post sillek, heh.
Peach Out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Even simpler would be to have a script on the mainpage just grab the current date, or show the previous Monday's date, or whatever.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

well, absolutely, they could post a thread saying so
but i feel, instead lots of people jump into myth, saying I'm going to do this plug or that, get into it a few months and then nothing, while they could join a plug in process or at least make collective work which would make plugs get a bigger % of finish chance
I just thought we could implement a better more proactive way of blending people together
I'm not talking about greek or any other plug in particular, just in general

but of course it's just a point of view... :wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Our team has allways been willing to help others out, and we have managed to do just that in some cases.

the only real problem is, the only help people in the myth community seem to give each other's dev teams is advice. As in people telling somebody HOW to do something, but not helping them implement it.

Its a great start though.
Peach Out
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

I could post when I pull off successful Wightblasts!

Why, just the other day I had a game of bacon in which I had TWO WIGHTBLASTS! No, yeah!

It was a game of Bacon* (as it must be for the Wightblast) on Twister. I got four wights, sending two to one of the ponds that ring mid and sending the other two to a pond between mid and the map's SW corner.

I managed to get the ball first. I dumped it off of the cliff from mid (mid is elevated) with a Tro, and then used a soulles to push it into the mid pond containing two of my wights. I figured I'd let it sit there for a few min to get everyone used to the idea that the ball was stuck mid, then try to blast it to my other waiting wights in the other pond.

With a couple min left, I let loose with the first Wightblast. It sent the ball absolutely perfectly into the pond where my other two wights waited. Omg was I delighted! I planned to use the second set of wights to blast it to my remaining units as time ran out. Bidness as usual, there -- and it worked! With time running out, I set off the wights and popped the ball over to my waiting units. GG! Two Wightblasts in one game. Oh, man. I mean, man, oh, man.

That game had lank, Knight Hawk, Shadow Knight (Myrd), Miltiades and myself in it.

Oh! The very next game I had another successful Wightblast! What a night. Talk about good times.

That's all the news that's frumious enough to print.

Here's the feelm: wightblast_twister-BoD_11-08-08.zip

To view the film, you'll need to get vr's Balls-of-Death_v1b (a mere 2.4MB), and Twister v 1.3 (4.5Mb) -- both available from the OoH BattlePlan at orderofhpak.com ( http://www.orderofhpak.com/BattlePlan.php ). Both are well-worth having, too.

Here's a Wightblast Filmpack of 41 games featuring the Frumious Wightblast!

*We happened to be using the CloudKill Ball o' Det (created by vinylrake) which, when the ball is jiggered, can emit a red cloud that fairly rapidly reduces the health of living units who inhale it. You've seen that cloud in some other 3rd party units (I think a fetch throws it out on that ffa map based on Creep... maybe). The Trow I used to push the ball over the cliff inhaled too much of the cloud and got totally stoned; damn near died. Heh, it's true! Had to use a Heron to pull him out of it. The soulless didn't get hurt by the cloudkill cloud as it pushed the ball.
Last edited by Frumius on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Frumius wrote:... The soulless didn't get hurt by the cloudkill cloud as it pushed the ball.
The _reason_ the soulless didn't get hurt is because the gas is toxic when inhaled, (it's not a contact poison), and since dead things don't breathe, dead things won't be harmed by exposure to the gas.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

vinylrake wrote:since dead things don't breathe, dead things won't be harmed by exposure to the gas.
Preciceley.
Of course, since dead things don't move, either, I figured the soulless would be useless units. But they've got their uses.

Hey, vr... I had an idea for a new BoD. Let's pretend that the "gas" were actually "smoke"... you could make a BoD of confusion (you know what kinda smoke I'm talking about). I s'pose it wouldn't technically be a Ball o' Death, but it could accompany them in the set o' balls. And it would still get the Trow stoned!

Waitaminit! Could a Ball o' Death alternately/randomly emit the red cloud of gas that damages, and a different color cloud o' smoke that confuses?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

carlinho wrote:it would be interesting though to see what mapmakers are doing actively and if any known mapmaker is free or open to working on new projects...sort of a working forum
so new groups can be assembled, new projects could find talent there...etc

sometimes if not you have 10 people individually tackle individual projects when maybe they could have joined and do 1 or 2 altogether ...
from my understanding, people make maps for fun, not to make the best map everyone will play. What happens when multiple people join together is that everyone of them wants to create their own plugin and will try to personalise that big project on their own, leading to a lot of arguments and stuff. The best way to start a group project is to be 2-3 people with the same view on the final product and then if you need more people, just grab them for small work .
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Frumius wrote:Hey, vr... I had an idea for a new BoD. Let's pretend that the "gas" were actually "smoke"... you could make a BoD of confusion (you know what kinda smoke I'm talking about). I s'pose it wouldn't technically be a Ball o' Death, but it could accompany them in the set o' balls. And it would still get the Trow stoned!
I actually had a Ball o' Confusion in my list of new balls to make, I poked around with it a couple of years ago (along with several others like the Ball of stoning, and others I can't remember at the moment) for a while then got distracted by something shiny or forgot about it.

I think I put that stuff on hold when I noticed that some of the balls didn't seem to work quite the same with 1.6 as they did in 1.5 and at the time I thought that 1.7 was going to be out 'soon' so I didn't want to spend time extensively tweaking things only to have to redo them in the next version.

Frumius wrote:Waitaminit! Could a Ball o' Death alternately/randomly emit the red cloud of gas that damages, and a different color cloud o' smoke that confuses?
Well, Baak seems to be the master of randomness in Myth plugs - and he's introduced random effects in netgame balls (the size-changing wacky balls) so it could probably be done.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Let's get back to the thread. There's a news on a main page. It's sweet :wink:
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Oh, crikey -- double post. SOrry! That's not news.
Last edited by Frumius on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

News about Balls o' Det and wightblasts is news. So is the news about someone going to a Mall, which is what's on the news page.
Last edited by Frumius on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Wth? A triple post?

Please believe me, this was an accident. This is one of the rare times when I'm actually serious.
Last edited by Frumius on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.