Dirigible Unit - Request

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Dirigible Unit - Request

Post by Baak »

I'm thinking of making a portable plugin along the lines of Trebuchets for the awesome Dirigible unit from Phantom Hounds.

I know this unit precedes Phantom Hounds, but I am not 100% sure how to contact Welly (or if Welly is actually someone else...), so I am posting this here.

I'd like permission to pluginize the unit along the lines of Trebuchets, giving full credit to the original creator (I'm assuming Welly).

Thanks. :)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The collection itself is actually a Bungie unit. Welly just made the sequences and attached some effects to it. He's the guy to credit, I'm not sure if Ared tweaked them in PH, but the original credit goes to Welly and Bungie.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Graydon wrote:The collection itself is actually a Bungie unit. Welly just made the sequences and attached some effects to it. He's the guy to credit, I'm not sure if Ared tweaked them in PH, but the original credit goes to Welly and Bungie.
Gotcha.

A-Red PM'ed me within minutes of my post (seriously), gave me the scoop and Welly's email contact as of 18 months ago.

A-Red did indeed do additional tweakage and he's kindly given me permission to pluginize the unit ala OoH style. Very cool.
Welly

knock yourself out :D

Post by Welly »

Boy, word gets around quickly these days. Pyro told me about this post on PM.net before I even read your email. If you're asking for permission, go nuts. All I request is a link to your finished product, sounds good?

I'm not sure what A-Red changed, but the most useful creative license I recall using to that unit is a high-velocity spray of red and black (spider) blood, so when he's been hit, it looks like he's under vast amounts of pressure. Like any respectable bloated undead freak. The spider blood should fall sooner so it seems heavier.

I also added a sound tag so he would gurgle in response to move orders. And the part that took the longest, I used an editor and Amber to add red splotches to his pus packets, so they wouldn't just be larger but would have more disgusting colors as well. Hope it works out Baak!
Baak

Post by Baak »

Thanks, Welly! :D

Wow - everyone was very quick to get back to me on this subject - excellent. Think it will be fun to have as a plugin along the lines of Soma's Trebuchet unit.

In fact, I'm looking at putting together two sets of plugins specifically to mix and match: Artillery (Trebuchets, Sak's Cannon, a couple of others if they look good), and Flying/Floating (Leggo Airships, the Dwarven Airship from Taliesin Downs, the Dirigible unit, and any others I can track down).

The way I do the plugins allows you to substitute your unit of choice for a category of units (e.g. Archers, Dwarfs, Giants, etc.) and does so for a huge selection of third-party units, allowing you to play them on lots of maps.

Mixing and matching means you could have Trebuchets for Dwarf-types, Dwarf-Airships for Warlocks, and Dirigibles for Wights - as an example.

I give full credit to the original unit creator(s) and only tweak where absolutely necessary (and always in the spirit/intent of the original unit).

The end result - I hope - is something we all enjoy playing. :)

Expect a release of something in the coming weeks as I get my scripts back in order and get organized.

Thanks again, Welly.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Far out, I'm looking forward to this!

Wow, we can have a glorious, full-on, all-out, blazing, star-spangled bannered aerial dogfight battle of det with all those aerial units at once... Think of it!
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

this does sound pretty cool, agreed
Point

umm cool

Post by Point »

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... _AoMUnits/

well my 2 cents...

as i did with the cwr (civil war canons) i did with warmachines as well.... only problem was monster (operator) has to be the same unit in a sense so both teams can pick up dropped items.. just different collection reference

this way theres a unit actually working the weapon in the renders
catapult, tribuchet, ballista, oil cauldron

note: none of the fear work was completed.... yet:)

if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Sweet lookin stuff point.
Look forward to seeing the units working/loading the weapons as part of 1 collection, ive never seen that done before in myth and ive wondered if it would work well.
Peach Out
Point

its done

Post by Point »

Renwood TWA wrote:Sweet lookin stuff point.
Look forward to seeing the units working/loading the weapons as part of 1 collection, ive never seen that done before in myth and ive wondered if it would work well.
i did the same in cwr the units operate the weapons in one collection... ie the canons
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

Welly is the welly from back in the day i can get in touch with him for you.

-Saint †
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Sonixboom wrote:Welly is the welly from back in the day i can get in touch with him for you.

-Saint †
Scroll up, Welly already replied.
Baak

Post by Baak »

So I've got some units lined up for the "Artillery Pak" and want to get a little feedback on them.

Point: I'm assuming the units you pictured are only in the very early development stages, correct? Sounds like none of the Fear work is done, right?
  • What I've got right now are:

Units currently in the set:
    * Sak Cannon (previous tagset only subbed for Warlocks)
    * Dirigible (Welly's unit modded by A-Red)

Existing units I'm simply rebuilding in the new set:
    * Trebuchets
    * Leggo Airships
    * Baron Baums

Candidate units:
    * Catapult (Hexotagset 2 - not sure if this one is as fun as Trebs)
    * Griffin (Hexotagset 2 - looks pretty sweet and fits in)
    * Dragon (Hexotagset 2 - also looks sweet and fits in)
    * Ballista (Hexotagset 2 - stationary unit (for CtF, FR, etc.))
    * Castle Catapult (Siege 2 - also a stationary unit)
    * Dwarven Airship (from Giant's Taliesin Downs)
I'm going to do some testing on the candidate units over the coming weeks and will request permission for using the ones that make the grade (assuming anyone can be contacted anymore - will at least attempt as always).

I didn't want to get too far away from the original Myth units - the Leggo Airships being the notable exception to the rule - so have not included anything WWII or Sci-Fi.

To recap what the heck these plugins are, they are rebuilding of original unit/tagsets into plugins that substitute almost 700 units on multiplayer maps (these could also be used on Solo games too but are primarily meant for multiplayer).

Each unit will have 9 (!) different plugins, to substitute said unit for the category shown. An example for the new Sak Cannon plugin is:
  • ~~ Sak Cannon (archers) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (barons) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (dwarves) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (fetch) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (ghols) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (giants) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (healers) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (warlocks) ap02
    ~~ Sak Cannon (wights) ap02

(where ap02 stands for "Artillery Pak v0.2" - the "~~" puts the plugins in alphabetical order to override maps and even mix with other OoH plugins)
Thus, if you want the unit for Barons (for Assassin targets - these include Barons and some other designated assassin targets on third-party maps) you pick "(barons)", if you want it for Dwarves you do "(dwarves)".

The beauty of the whole setup is that you can do things like we did Saturday night where you have a Trebuchet for the Baron and Sak Cannons for Dwarves on Venice Assassin. Was VERY fun.

Adding in the various airship/floating units as options will take it even further. Dirigibles for (wights)? Muhahahahaaa...

Let me know if there are other known units you can think of - we may have the perfect set above, but I want to hear back if anyone knows of others.