Broke my Game!

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Twelve Motion

Broke my Game!

Post by Twelve Motion »

I just hopped on after a few months of not playing, saw that everyone is on 1.6.0 and asked where to get it. Went to thetain.net and dl the 1.6.0 update for mac. I follow the instructions to install:

"1. Locate your Myth II folder on your hard drive.
2. Copy all files and folders in the install directory, except for the "put in plugins" to your Myth II folder.
Answer Yes to the prompt to overwrite any files.
3. Open the "put in plugins folder" in the install directory and copy the contents of it to your plugins folder
inside your Myth II folder. Answer Yes to the prompt to overwrite any files.
4. Delete your old Myth II application and OpenPlay stuff from your Myth II folder.
5. Open your preferences folder and delete any files named bungienet or PlayMyth.
6. Play Myth & Have Fun!!!"

and now the app wont open and I have no back ups. I looked all over for the CD to re-install, but found nothing. I am going to be pissed if it's broken.

The only strange thing is I had no playmyth or bungie stuff in my preference folder. I will go look harder though.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

When you say 'won't open' do you mean it just sits there and doesn't move at all (icon shows up in the Dock but then just disappears), or does is start to open and then crash (screen goes black but then reverts to the Finder)? Which Myth application are you using? What's your machine's configuration? Have you checked your Myth log or your computer's crash log?
The cake is a lie.
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

Yeah, the icon shows up, then dissapears right away.

What version of myth... Good question I am not even sure where to look. I was playing 1.5.1 back when I played on playmyth several months ago. When I found out they made Myth online happen again, I ordered the total codex from ebay and installed it. About 2 years ago.

I didn't check the crash log. I need to get used to doing that. I will check it now.

Ok well correction. The icon doesn't even appear in the dock. The dock twitches just slightly as if the icon is about to appear, but then it doesn't. I can't find any log, I don't think this event creates a log. If anything is happening at all.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

What version of Mac OS are you using?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Twelve Motion wrote:Yeah, the icon shows up, then dissapears right away.

What version of myth... Good question I am not even sure where to look. I was playing 1.5.1 back when I played on playmyth several months ago. When I found out they made Myth online happen again, I ordered the total codex from ebay and installed it. About 2 years ago.

I didn't check the crash log. I need to get used to doing that. I will check it now.

Ok well correction. The icon doesn't even appear in the dock. The dock twitches just slightly as if the icon is about to appear, but then it doesn't. I can't find any log, I don't think this event creates a log. If anything is happening at all.
The log should be in your Myth II application folder.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

2006-11-14 20:57:45
Myth II Build 286 running under MacOS 1048 ----------------------------------------------
Could not find all the foundation files. Insert your CD or do a full install.

Is what is says in the log, OS 10.4.8 is my system.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You don't have it in the right folder. The Myth II application should be in the same folder as a "tags" folder that measures about 500MB, and a plugins folder containing stuff like Patch 1.2, Patch 1.3, Patch 1.4, Patch 1.4 Interface, Patch 1.5, etc, as well as other directories like the local folder.
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

It is in the correct folder. But the tags folder is empty, and the total Myth II folder is only 150mb. Looks like when I "clicked overwrite" files like the instructions said, it ruined some folders that had some stuff in them.

The plugins folder has 1.2 - 1.5 unity in it. There is an empty folder called local, and one called tags, Metaserver is full of stuff.

Looks like I lost all the tags T_T. Can I get them back from somewhere?
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

You should be able to just copy them over from the Myth II CD of the Total Codex. It's on the root level of the CD, down at the bottom; just copy over the 'tags' folder into your Myth II folder.
The cake is a lie.
Site Admin

Re: Broke my Game!

Post by Death's Avatar »

Twelve Motion wrote: I looked all over for the CD to re-install, but found nothing.
He can't.

I've never the installer delete anything like that for me. When you played before, did it require you to have the disc in? Like, did you ever have a full install in the first place?

-DA
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I bet what happened is he double clicked Myth II once before it was installed in the correct location, which made Myth II create all of its folders (prefs, local, tags, etc) since those didn't exist there. Then he dragged them all to the Myth II folder, and they replaced his existing ones (on Windows, they would be merged, since that's the default behaviour, but on Mac a folder dragged over another one will completely replace the other one).
Twelve Motion

Post by Twelve Motion »

I can't recall the exact order of events. But I went on playmyth saw 1.6, asked what the deal was. Someone told me where to update, and I tried and apparently failed in the worst possible way.

Can I download this stuff somewhere? WHERE ARE MY STUPID CDs!?