New Amber - for PC, Linux or OS X

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I did NOT do UnTags. That master work was by Killswitch. As you can see in this post. I have released nothing, so unfortunately no-one nows whether or not I can make incredible stuff. In fact, I'm pretty sure its gonna look awful (ie. buttons aren't gonna line up) but be functional. That and I'm a horrible programmer: "Why use a loop and a well designed data structure when brute force works?!"

I never went past the demo with Myth 3 cause I think pre-rendered high definition sprites was a better technology than chunky low polygon count models, but once I have a working release candidate I'd be happy to extend its functionality. I have some other ideas of my own that I'd like to add also. Plus its in perl, so if you want to add something to it, feel free to do it yourself.

I found the file format from some old posts by Loshadh and using vi on the warrior and dwarf collections that I extracted with Topaz. That and Killswitch took some screen shots of what the current Amber looks like so I have some better ideas what random bits I'm not sure of do. And some help from Haravik, and others here at Magma.
DanielRomero

Post by DanielRomero »

I thought it was long forgotten, when vistacartel went down. Anyway I will search around. I remember the sprites are rle encoded, and it is centered, the cut the unused parts.:blush:
DanielRomero

Post by DanielRomero »

Oh, I remember that I have asked the collection format from amber´s author (or tahoe, I don´t remember), but he refused. He had the sequence part, where I stuck :(
Industry

Post by Industry »

Okay. So, I finally got my hands on an old Mac and bought a System 9.1 disc and installed Amber and Myth. Now I can finally mess around with the original and finish this. Except for the fact that I go on a 2 week work trip tomorrow.
Soulytfs_1

Post by Soulytfs_1 »

Just if you make amper work on windows 2 its ok! :lol:
Injoi the trip
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Industry I would give you my first-born, if I have one, if you are able to somehow have the new Amber work with Myth 3 to get out the textures, models, or animations.

Seriously.......I would become your life servant.
Point

Post by Point »

can u try opening that collection with the new amber your working on... cwr ...06

http://hl.udogs.net/files....lpcheck

thanks
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

What are you going to call the finished program Industry? New Amber IMO isn't a good one, especially if Vista hasn't helped you with it, you need your own name for it to make it yours =)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Well since Myth tools have had a fair amount of history using gemstone names (Jade, Topaz, Amber), maybe another would make a good name, possibly even something in relation to amber.

Alexandrite
Amber
Amethyst
Ametrine
Ammolite
Andalusite
Apatite
Aquamarine
Beryl
Bixbite
Cats-Eye
Chalcedony
Chrome Chalcedony
Chrysoberyl
Citrine
Cubic Zirconia
Danburite
Diamond
Diopside
Drusy Quartz
Emerald
Fire Agate
Fluorite
Garnet
Glass
Goldenite Jade
Goldenite Quartz
Goshenite
Heliodor
Hiddenite
Indicolite
Iolite
Kunzite
Kyanite
Labradorite
Lapis Lazuli
Lemon Quartz
Mabe Pearl
Madeira Citrine
Malachite
Mandarin Ice
Moldavite
Moonstone
Morganite
Multi-Gemstone
Murano Glass
Mystic Topaz
Onyx
Opal
Oro Verde Quartz
Paraiba Ice
Pearl
Peridot
Petalite
Pezzottaite
Pink Opal
Prasiolite
Prehnite
Quartz
Rhodochrosite
Rock Crystal
Rubellite
Ruby
Rutile
Sapphire
Shell
Sillimanite
Sphene
Spinel
Strontium Titanate
Sunstone
Tanzanite
Topaz
Tourmaline
Turquoise
Vesuvianite
Yag
Zandrite
Zircon

--------

Personally, I think Ruby would make a great name. My runners up would be: Sunstone, Diamond, Quartz, and Emerald.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

But Myth tools only have a history of such names because that's what Vista chose to use for their tools :P

Myth tools themselves have a history of using names of negative emotion/desire; Fear, Loathing, Vengeance :)

iirc there was a 3rd party tool (may have been VIsta as well) called Spite and Malice.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Well if its multi-platform... the only one that might seem suitable in the 'multi' aspect could be Multi-Gemstone. But then again there are other good ones in there. Or go the other way like Haravikk mentioned.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Unity? Sounds a bit cheesy maybe but it's the same idea as multi...
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

i like it, but it kind of conflicts with the plugin series by the same name, not to mention it sounds positively positive compared to fear, loathing, and vengeance.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Point

Post by Point »

Prozaic :)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Other ones I don't think we've seen are Despair and Anguish