more than 2 special attacks - how can 1 unit have 2 special attacks

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

helou, oh fellow wise ones, 1 question:

how can 1 unit have 2 special attacks?
here's the not brief explanation of why I need this:

I have 1 unti that is a slinger(throws stones with a sling)
and I want to make it's range of attack longer than that of archers. So their basic function is to kill enemy archers without being hit.

this unit has 2 attacks:
-Sling attack= hurls stones at a range max 45 / min 10
-dagger attack in close range 0 / 1.5 (I made this a special) so basically the first reaction of the unit when it has enemy units close by (less than 10) is to run away to be in range of attack. But if you press the special it stands and fights.

what I want to do is to have another special, that when you press this it's a sling attack range 45/ 43, so when you are in the midst of the fight and the archers get in range to fire arrows at the slinger, instead of grabbing them and clicking far away from the archers and then click to attack them,
if you press this attack the slingers would automatically run to the range of the attack to do so and therefore getting out of the archers range of 30.

any clues how to do 2 specials? I Don't want to loose the special for dagger...
thanks!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Point

Post by Point »

just a quick reply but range is one way to do it... set the min max range to only work in close or far away only prob doing it this way sometimes the unit might try to move closer... another way is use inventory and switch to item ... though in large scale battle micro managing can be difficult. im sure some one on here knows exactly what you can do...
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Does it have to be a special attack? You can set the basic sling attack as a primary attack, and the alternate behaviour as a special. So one is just attacking in general, while the other is more like 'skirmish' (ie harass).
IMO a close-combat attack is best set-up so that it requires a double click, just select no attack type for it (ie deselect "Is primary attack" AND "Is secondary attack") and it will become an attack that activates only when you double click a target.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

damn it!
I was sure a really simple thing was to be used!
thanks hara, I didn't know about that double click thing!
Point

Post by Point »

hey carlinho... if you make your tagset b32 compliant it will work on my maps... (add them into tagset units and they will work on the maps) and i have a map thats based on the 300 spartans defence. check out my upload folder for b32 etc...
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

wazzzup point!
I was wondering what was going on with your amazing units of tanks and soldiers!
how's that plugin developing!
I saw your website like 2 years ago, your units are amazing!!!!!
Of course it was the first time I did world war II so it's kind of green, but check out Normandie 1944:

http://www.the-package.net/modules....d&cid=1

it has 2 fun world war II maps I did almost 3 years ago, the 3rd map kind of sucks but imagine normandy omaha map with real world war II units, and more different units and planes, etc
I would love to do an Afrika Korps conversion and also russian front and philipines, and......

totally, as soon as I finish this Greek tagset let's get together for a total world war II conversion.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Carlinho.... here's another method you could try: Have the unit use mana... using 1.4's features you could even make the mana invisible so it doesn't interfere. Make the attack 43-45 in range, and requires mana. have your mana recharge really fast so you can always shoot (besides reload time), and make it a special attack. It SHOULD be seperate from the dagger attack, since it uses the mana. Try it.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

that sounds pretty cool!
thanks graydon!
check my website i just finished 3 more new units for the greek tagset, it's advancing pretty fast.
Point

Post by Point »

couldnt it also just use the inventory? will the inventory bar work in the next version of myth? hit i then select attack by mouse or number