Myth 1&2 AI Upscale Future Attemt

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Akven

Re: Myth 1&2 AI Upscale Future Attemt

Post by Akven »

This is an issue of alignment, not scale. When you replace the bitmaps, they still keep the old alignment and bounding box, which makes no sense if the resolution has changed. You would have to use the sequence editor to manually adjust this.
Do you have any kind of instruction/manual for exactly this part. I understood everything else except the alignment and bounding box and how to change it in sequences

I even found that I can pull the yellow rectangle, but I don't know what it all means and what I need to achieve. And also only the height is fully resizable.
Width is cannot be pulled by either right of left side - it just change its size from the center of the rectangle. I cannot move it to fully fill my new upscaled sprite
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Akven wrote:
This is an issue of alignment, not scale. When you replace the bitmaps, they still keep the old alignment and bounding box, which makes no sense if the resolution has changed. You would have to use the sequence editor to manually adjust this.
Do you have any kind of instruction/manual for exactly this part. I understood everything else except the alignment and bounding box and how to change it in sequences

I even found that I can pull the yellow rectangle, but I don't know what it all means and what I need to achieve. And also only the height is fully resizable.
Width is cannot be pulled by either right of left side - it just change its size from the center of the rectangle. I cannot move it to fully fill my new upscaled sprite
The yellow rectangle is the hitbox/selection box.
The red dot is the key point (where attack projectiles are spawned).
The green dot is the registration point, or origin. This is the "position" of the object in game, and is typically placed between a unit's feet. Compare other collections to see where this goes.

You can't move the yellow box, only change its size. To properly center the sprite inside, you need to move the sprite bitmap itself.

To move the bitmap, first make sure the sequence is open in the editor (the one that shows the yellow box). Click the background so that the view area is highlighted (has a light blue border around it).

Then hold f5, f4 or f3 depending on what you want to do, and click/drag the bitmap. As you are holding down an f key, text will appear in the upper left corner indicating the action to be performed.

BTW I don't recommend trying to do this for unit sprites as it will be pretty much impossible to get good results, as I am sure you will quickly discover.. This is is why we are using a smart tool to perform the alignment. I'm only suggesting this for scenery to create a proof of concept for ESRGAN.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I'd be curious to see if you could make the Forest Giant, TFL Villager or Soulblighter look at all decent with upscaling.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Akven

Post by Akven »

Could it be automated through Oak (maybe in some future)?
I mean, it's just simple coordinates change.
ESRGAN or any AI network are working on fixed scale (4x, 6x, 8x), so all of the sprites change is arithmetic process: objects scale factors divided by 4. Sequences coordinates multiplied by 4.
Maybe add some magic button to collection actions like (4x multiply) and by pressing it recalculate coordinates for all the sequences and divide scale factors for all the objects tied to this collection?

And what tool you are using?
I'd be curious to see if you could make the Forest Giant, TFL Villager or Soulblighter look at all decent with upscaling.
I'll try it today
Akven

Post by Akven »

Choose your fighter :lol:
Original
4x_cartoonpainted_400000
4x_deviantPixelHD_250000
4x_DigiPaint35000
4x_DigitalFrames_2.1_Final

Ok, I wanted to upload 12 different variants from different models, but there is something with imgur
Akven

Post by Akven »

Comparisons for the most good lookings models for this sprite
Original vs Different models
https://imgsli.com/MjU0NTM
https://imgsli.com/MjU0NTM/0/2
https://imgsli.com/MjU0NTM/0/3
https://imgsli.com/MjU0NTM/0/4

You can switch pictures to comparise models between each other on imgsli
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Akven wrote:Could it be automated through Oak (maybe in some future)?
I mean, it's just simple coordinates change.
ESRGAN or any AI network are working on fixed scale (4x, 6x, 8x), so all of the sprites change is arithmetic process: objects scale factors divided by 4. Sequences coordinates multiplied by 4.
Maybe add some magic button to collection actions like (4x multiply) and by pressing it recalculate coordinates for all the sequences and divide scale factors for all the objects tied to this collection?

And what tool you are using?
It is already automated through Oak. This is the unreleased stuff I spoke about much earlier in the thread.
Akven wrote:Choose your fighter :lol:
Original
4x_cartoonpainted_400000
4x_deviantPixelHD_250000
4x_DigiPaint35000
4x_DigitalFrames_2.1_Final

Ok, I wanted to upload 12 different variants from different models, but there is something with imgur
4x_cartoonpainted_400000 clear winner IMO. From memory, the leaves look remarkably similar to the real highres version.
Akven

Post by Akven »

So I then will stick to surface textures for now (houses, barns etc) for TFL and Myth 2.
I will upscale scenery, but will wait for dev release of Oak.

And I think I'll upscale TFL monsters just for myself to play through first campaign until proper HD pack will be released. But of course need dev release of Oak for this.

What I completed so far (content of my local folder):
ba1 textures
baker_textures
bb1 textures
butcher textures
granary textures
inn textures
ruin1 textures
01 stable textures
01 tavern textures
barn
farmhouse

This two need coordinates fix
01 scenery
pig

Should I separate TFL and Myth 2 files? It is comfortably to see that I've already done and what is left in Oak with its orange highlight.
hmp

Post by hmp »

It would be very cool to have this done on some of the common 3rd party units like TSG since I don't believe anyone has the original models.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

hmp wrote:It would be very cool to have this done on some of the common 3rd party units like TSG since I don't believe anyone has the original models.
Afaik, Reanimator who did the majority of third party units seems to have all the files backed up, but doesn't like sharing his personality created assets. (He worked on Green Berets, The Seventh God, Nor Ash, Bushido, etc.)
Akven

Post by Akven »

If anyone wants to test anything
https://yadi.sk/d/7EmrsY7zcCaoqA

This is my local folder with 49 collections upscaled. Mostly from TFL mod.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Very neat. I'd love to see some more of Myth 2, as well. :)

I was planning to try this out eventually, but since you have more experience with it, it's great to see the results.
Akven

Post by Akven »

Completed TFL (only textures, not scenery sprites or monsters), 76 collections upscaled so far.
Akven

Post by Akven »

Same link, new test.

Now 97 upscaled collections. All TFL textures plus all of the Myth 2 textures except 01-89 map specific textures

To upscale scenery I need automatic sequence editing tool)
Akven

Post by Akven »

All textures for Myth 1 & Myth 2 completed
176 collectibles total

Also, someone on reddit already upscaled all cinematics. I asked him for separate original files instead of one youtube compressed movie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameUpscale/co ... _upscaled/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyBoqGEzCQ

Only things left are sprites, but it's is impossible to made them without automatic parameters rescaling tool for Oak