Plugin to quiet Announcer in Multilayer

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
bridgestone-tired

Plugin to quiet Announcer in Multilayer

Post by bridgestone-tired »

So I got the sounds like "Hey" ; "Flag Captured" ; and "Casualties" to play at the same level or softer than the sound effects. It is very nice and makes playing at all volumes easier to listen to.

I built a plugin to share this with others but thats where I'm running into problems.
When I deleted my local folder and tried to rely on the plugin to make the changes, it stopped working. (http://www.dropbox.com/home/bridgestone-tired)

I just edited the sounds tags for the <<internal netgame sounds>> turning down the volume from .673 to .101.
Exactly the way I've done with formations and I've seen plugins work with formations.

Any Ideas what I am doing wrong? This seems like it is straight forward and that I am doing it correct. I am happy I can get it working for me but making a plugin would be ideal, but maybe there is a reason it hasn't been done before.

P.S. I also anticipate a potential problem with the <<Default sounds addon>> as I know it trumps other plugs like the <<TFL Netgame Sounds>> and <<ffaleaguev6>>
hmp

Re: Plugin to quiet Announcer in Multilayer

Post by hmp »

This should be made as an add on plugin rather than a tagset plugin. To do so you will need to either use oak, or male it as a regular plugin in fear and then hex edit the plugin header. Add on plugins are always active when they are placed in your plugins folder, and do not affect gameplay and thus not all players in a multiplayer game need to have the plugin. If it is a regular plugin, it would have to be manually activated as a tagset and all players would need to have it.
bridgestone-tired

Post by bridgestone-tired »

Thanks! I knew there was a simple a solution. Should have taken a clue from the name of the <<Default sound *addon*>> Now it works.

Can finally crank the volume to enjoy the sounds of battle and not the Announcements too! Nice to hear the quieter sounds like body parts bouncing around etc

Going to get the volume just right so that you can always hear important announcements like Casualties and Flag Lost during the sounds of battle. In a few weeks I'll submit the file to the Tain and see if anyone likes it.

I added in a minuscule [0.981 - 1.000] frequency randomization for the chat sound HEY and the character voices, subtle enough not to notice, but enough variation in pitch to keep it sounding fresh and more organic.

I find it strange that the archers bow shots are one of the only sounds modulated this way as it breaths life into the sounds of the game with just an ounce of variety. What a wonderful engine.

So nice to finally get a hands on experience (however minor it may be) on the game I've held in such high regards all these years.

Thank you showing me oak! I will use it to make add ons if I can ever get my friends online to play I can set them up with custom formations, the camera speed and whatever we need for that LAN party I keep thinking about planning someday
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Slightly off topic, but anyone remember the wannabe Samuel L. Jackson plugin "BlueMythII"...? Wasn't really Sam, of course, but most of the announcer cues were replaced by a semi-sound-alike chap. Really great stuff, most especially in multiplayer. Definitely R-Rated.

Some remembered cues:

"Thirty Seconds, Motherfucker!"
"Flag Con-TESTed!"
"Ain't Got the Flag, Do Ya?!"
"Flag's Lost! Told Y'all!"
"Shit. Game Ovah."
"One Motherfuckin' Minute Left."
"Ya Whole Fuckin' Team Eliminated!"
"Sudden Death, Motherfucker!"
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Sword Ring wrote: "Thirty Seconds, Motherfucker!"
"Flag Con-TESTed!"
"Ain't Got the Flag, Do Ya?!"
"Flag's Lost! Told Y'all!"
"Shit. Game Ovah."
"One Motherfuckin' Minute Left."
"Ya Whole Fuckin' Team Eliminated!"
"Sudden Death, Motherfucker!"
Ha, that's Hilarious. Never used that plugin but I can imagine it pretty well in my head the way you wrote it.
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but I'll just go ahead and post this Samuel L. Jackson goodness to the archives. Look for it Soonâ„¢.