Is Apple's move to 64-bit the end of Myth on macOS?

Talk about anything here.
Clooney

Is Apple's move to 64-bit the end of Myth on macOS?

Post by Clooney »

What are the chances that Myth II will be updated to 64-bit? Slim to none? Better than slim?
Sealiondude

Re: Is Apple's move to 64-bit the end of Myth on macOS?

Post by Sealiondude »

Its the final death throes of the game as it is written in carbon and thus cannot be ported to 64 bit
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sealiondude wrote:Its the final death throes of the game as it is written in carbon and thus cannot be ported to 64 bit
Most Carbon parts have already been rewritten to use Cocoa or other APIs.

However, there's plenty of gameplay code that needs extensive changes to change all the datatypes and assumptions about pointer sizes.

I suspect we'll make it work, but it might take some time.
Sealiondude

Post by Sealiondude »

You are correct that the game is relatively easily done however the map making tools are another thing altogether
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sealiondude wrote:You are correct that the game is relatively easily done however the map making tools are another thing altogether
That's true - the mapmaking tools rely heavily on Carbon and I don't expect we'll put the effort to fully recode them. We may need to just recommend people use the Windows ones in Wine. Although, I guess Wine and Windows ones will still be 32 bit - so maybe that won't work either? I guess we'll have to see.
Sealiondude

Post by Sealiondude »

Wineskin would work because the wine application is 64 bit. However last I checked the windows map making tools weren’t on par with the Mac tools
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sealiondude wrote:Wineskin would work because the wine application is 64 bit. However last I checked the windows map making tools weren’t on par with the Mac tools
My understanding is Fear and Loathing actually have feature parity (and iirc some things might be a bit better like scripting in the Windows tools). But it's been a while. Certainly, if we decide to go this route, we can ensure that Windows tools get any reasonable functionality that's currently missing.

However, tools are always second priority to the game itself. So first would be making Myth II support 64-bit which is still a non-trivial task.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Porting to 64 bit will probably be one of the more difficult updates we've ever done, it requires a LOT of changes to the code and they are not localized at all. Myth's code is almost like a worst case scenario for 64 bit compatibility because of the way it stores pointers in files. Probably more than half the file formats need new loading/upconversion code.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Update: I'm pleased to say that 64 bit will not be the end of Myth on MacOS :D

We've completed most of the porting to 64 bit (for the game, not including the tools). It was a significant amount of work but in my previous post I overestimated the difficulty by about half.
Clooney

Post by Clooney »

Melekor wrote:Update: I'm pleased to say that 64 bit will not be the end of Myth on MacOS :D

We've completed most of the porting to 64 bit (for the game, not including the tools). It was a significant amount of work but in my previous post I overestimated the difficulty by about half.
That’s great news! Thanks for your hard work.
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

Melekor wrote:Update: I'm pleased to say that 64 bit will not be the end of Myth on MacOS :D

WOW that is awesome news!! this made my day! :)
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Glad to know I could be playing myth into my 80s.
Yankee
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

SO macOS Mojave is the last macOS to support 32bit apps.. so we have one more year but we should be fine for 64 bit -- meaning next years macOS update.. am I correct?? :)
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

So I have installed macOS Mojave beta 1 on my MacBook Pro -- seems to be working fine: https://vimeo.com/274537909
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Deceiver wrote:So I have installed macOS Mojave beta 1 on my MacBook Pro -- seems to be working fine: https://vimeo.com/274537909
We're now starting to test Myth II 1.8.3 with 64-bit support on Mac. It's on the private testers forum. If you'd like to help us test it, please message me and I can give you access.