Looking for unit models for 3d printing

Talk about anything here.
Buck Mild

Looking for unit models for 3d printing

Post by Buck Mild »

Hey all,

I'm looking into 3d printing some stuff, and I was wondering if there are any resources here for unit models. I'm mostly interested in Soulblighter, Trow, Berserk and Duff models, but any would be appreciated.

Also, I remember awhile back someone had commissioned a Soulblighter cane for a fellow Myther - is that mold available somewhere as a digital file?

Cheers,
Buck
Jon God

Re: Looking for unit models for 3d printing

Post by Jon God »

I'd ask Souly, he probably has the best quality models to do such a thing with.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

Oh i want a Balor, Alric and Deceiver and Soul 3d printed :) let me know if u get this thing going!
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
Renwoodpeaches2018

Post by Renwoodpeaches2018 »

Hi you might be in luck! I set these guys up for printing and produced them in july of 2010

Well photobucket is being lame and not showing the pic of the 3d printed myth guys, so here is a link to my Deviant art profile with the pic and more.

http://fav.me/dc5qmv6

I have set up more for 3D printing as the actual models have lots of gaps and stuff in them that needs to be polished before the print run.

What 3D printer do you have? What software are you using to set them up and get your G-code?

You are in luck I have everybody BUT SoulBlighter, because he is secreted away in some arcane temple studying the dark arts.
Buck Mild

Post by Buck Mild »

@Ren! These are sweet. It'd be fun to add some details in zBrush then print + color them...

I don't own a printer (and actually don't know much about them), but my colleagues have access to some heavy duty printers.
Renwoodpeaches2018

Sup Buck! Can you find out what make and models of 3D printers your friends have access to? Depending on the different technology they have available to print these myth guys I could set them up in different ways. Also what software they use for a slicer and setting up their G-code. Like is it Autodest Fusion, or Solidworks or fusion 360.

For instance if they are using FDM (The most common 3D printing of layers of plastic melted together), an SLA printer using Lasers to make the parts out of resin using the accuracy of Laser technology or :::CROSSES FINGERS::: SLS additive manufacturing.

This is where they can make actual solid metal parts out of layers of melted metal powder with a Laser or electron beam. Each type of printing tech gives you different capabilities when dealing with how big or how SMALL details on a model can be.

For example I produced these 3d printed myth guys in 2010 on a FDM 3D printer that costs $250,000 so it was capable of tiny details like the FANGS on a Myrkdridia even with a model standing only 6 inches tall.

If we tried to print that same model with a consumer grade FDM printer it would lose all those tiny details like fangs and claws. In which case you must print it at a larger scale, but this will DRASTICALLY INCREASE the amount of time it takes to print and cost in materials as well.

Hopefully you have access to one of these newer multi color FDM printers. That can print the models with different colors of plastic anywhere from 8-16 colors all the way up to millions of colors.

The thing is the more advanced the tech the more likely the cost in materials and amount of production TIME that the printer is tied up creating myth guys. Like if they can make SLS steel or titanium parts i doubt it would be for free and might be cost prohibitive.

I have found guys in this industry like to try to print new types of things and could be interested to help because its more fun than printing the normal prototype cell phone case or laptop case and would be willing to help out just for shits and giggles. At least maybe on the weekends when there are no print jobs running or late as night after everybody leaves and the printers are available.

If you can get back to me with the different makes and models that you can choose from or at least the types they have (like FDM, SLA, OR SLS) It would really help me to set up these models to take advantage of the different strengths and avoid the weaknesses of the different techs.

Like it wouldn't matter if we had to print the myth guys at like 12 inches tall instead of 6 to get the smaller details to come out right if they have an awesome color capable printer. But keep in mind the vastly increased actual printing time and amount of materials involved the larger the print job/models

you can also reach me at digitalpeaches@yahoo.com

Now im going to go dream of steel or iron or even BRONZE myth guys to be used as Trophies in the next MWC!!!!

-Ren
Renwoodpeaches2018

In regard to Zbrush "Polishing" these models. You have to keep in mind they were modeled in 1996-97 with NURBS alone and as such they have a quaint look to them. A far less time consuming idea than using Zbrush to edit them would be to pick the models that look the most advanced or detailed. Like the Myrks and Mauls look great as is, but guys like the Warriors are more simple/plain.

In 2012 I worked with Road to create the Zbrush guys for a pitch of what a newer myth game with modern tech could look like. We made thrall and wight and styg a souless and even a trow. The way we got them to look very Mythy and look and feel like the actual myth characters was based on a few different techniques that I came up with while working with Road.

It is kind of like working with a Ford Pinto, if you wanna change them a bunch with Zbrush. You can make a lot of changes and upgrades to a Pinto, but its still a Pinto. Unless you want to spend enough time that you are just creating the models nearly from scratch. I tend to like to use the models as Bungie made them in 96-97. Just like I dont mind playing an 8 bit game from the 1980s or late 90s era Myth sprites, even though we have games that look photo-realistic now
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I think it's impossible to beat the charm of the original units. The high-res promo images are just the dogs bollocks as far as I'm concerned - it made my day the first time I saw how big everyone's eyebrows were in the world of Myth.

That being said I've always been too retarded to do anything with the models or get the textures working (I've been told I'm not meant to have them anyway so I've shied away from trying anymore). :facepalm: whoops.

Tell you what though, if anyone gets around to printing some, give me a buzz - I'd love a lil Warrior and Thrall on my desk, for old time's sake.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Renwoodpeaches2018

Well William if you buy yourself a 3D printer and learn how to use it, I will send you all the Myth Characters all set up (They can not be 3D printed as-is) and ready to be 3D printed ! I just want 1 of each guy printed for myself as well! Deal?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Well, there's 'a' 3D printer (technically my brother's), and I couldn't vouch for the quality of the thing. I printed my skull a while back and it was a bit ratty, probably because of a 'noisy' model.

But if you wanna sling me a warrior and I try a test print 'n' let you know how it turns out, I'm up for that!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em