Need help installing Myth II Soulblighter on lLinux 17

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
donandrews

Need help installing Myth II Soulblighter on lLinux 17

Post by donandrews »

First off, I am not computer savy at all. Before, in Windows, I would insert CD and play the game. I have moved from Win XP to Linux Mint 17 and now don't know what I am doing. I bought CD Myth II Soulblighter For Linux. and can not load, nor run the game.

When I load the CD I get the icon on the screen - auto run prompt comes on, then when urged to run it a message says not found. I punch this and that and fuss and cuss and guess I don't do it in proper order because nothing works.

Can anyone out there help this poor soul? Appreciation would be great.

donandrews
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Need help installing Myth II Soulblighter on lLinux 17

Post by Pyro »

Have you tried downloading and running the latest update like I suggested to you in the Linux Mint Forums (that you ignored)?
donandrews

Post by donandrews »

I tried everything including your suggestions (for which I hope I thanked you) but still have had nothing work. I gave up for a few weeks but hate to be such a quiter. That is why I am back asking dumb questions and fumbling around with the problem -
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I wasn't the original guy trying to help you in that forum. I posted after you said you quit trying to make Myth work. You did not reply back and I sent you a private message which you have not read yet.

So can you explain what you did then? You downloaded the update from where and then did what? In the Linux Mint forums you never mentioned the update which would explain why you could not get the original Linux version to work.
donandrews

Post by donandrews »

Sorry Pyro I tried your advice when given but still nothing. I did not receive a private message then either. Then I gave up again.

So, today I again lownload from Project Magma version 1.8 Linux installer. With CD in pc I click on installer and get Open File - with blank application windows. Pretty much where I was back then.

I really think this is all beyond me. I am very sorry I did not get back to posting a special thank you for your help - I was, and am again, just plain frustrated. However, I really do admire your helping folks do all the computer stuff and sincerely appologize for my inaction in thanking you.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Ok but you still have not really explained much and it does not really sound like you ran the update. So you downloaded the update and ran it, what next? Forget the CD, run the update (it has an option to install the game). What does it show you and what part do you get stuck on?

Also, I did private message you over on those forums and right now I can still see you have not opened it. It doesn't matter anyways since my message was telling you about this place.

No need to post a special thank you. I just wanted to know that the message was received. Doesn't matter now though, focus on the specifics of what you did to try to run an updated Myth on Linux.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

donandrews wrote:With CD in pc I click on installer and get Open File - with blank application windows.
Can you show me a screenshot of the blank window?
donandrews

Post by donandrews »

OK, I took a picture with ipad but didn't know how to get it here - pretty bad, huh? Starting over: I go to Project Magma and download Linux (x86) Installer (12MB). I get Opening Myth2 _180_Linux.tar.gz
You have chosen to open:
?Myth2_180_Linux.tar.gz
which is Gzip archive(11.6MB)
WHAT SHOULD FIREFOX DO WITH THIS FILE?
O Open with {Archive Manager (default){
o Save file
oDo this automatically for files like this from now on.
cancel or OK

I click OK
Download
Screen shows
Myth2_180_Linux.tar-1 12.2 MB Type unknown 22 Feb 2015,O...

I right click and open:

Now I havefiles 11.2 MB Folder
Installer 965.9kB unknown

I open Installer and get:

Open File
Available application
(blank window)
Recent applications
(blank window)
Remove

Application (blank space)
cancel open

And that is where I am. Any suggestions?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

The file 'installer' should be an application. I'm not sure why your Linux distro doesn't recognize it as such.

If you can open a Terminal app, I suggest doing the following:

type in the following (without quotes - but with the space at the end) "chmod +x "

then drag the file "installer" from into the terminal window (this should print its path after the above command you typed. Then hit enter.

Then, try opening "installer again"?