Installing original Myth II from CD does nothing

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
bribri

Installing original Myth II from CD does nothing

Post by bribri »

I've searched for an answer to this and I keep reading about "Manual" installations, but I've no clue what I'm doing. I've tried to run Setup.exe in compatability mode, but whatever I click, it asks for permission to run the file and then just stops.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 64.

Any help? I miss playing this game and playing the Demo got me really interested in doing so again. Thanks!
juliocpaes

Re: Installing original Myth II from CD does nothing

Post by juliocpaes »

bribri,

before, you do up date for Myth 2 ?

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... -8-windows

Julio
bribri

Post by bribri »

I was under the impression that I needed an installed version of Myth 2 before the 1.8 patch would do anything?

The installer seemed to want a pathway to Myth 2 before I could do much with it. After perusing all the possible fixes, I had deleted every "Myth 2" program I had from the Control Panel and from my Program Files to make for a clean install.

As of right now I can click "Install" from the pop-up launch menu or the "setup.exe" from the disk-drive explorer, but both result in no action.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

bribri wrote:I was under the impression that I needed an installed version of Myth 2 before the 1.8 patch would do anything?

The installer seemed to want a pathway to Myth 2 before I could do much with it. After perusing all the possible fixes, I had deleted every "Myth 2" program I had from the Control Panel and from my Program Files to make for a clean install.

As of right now I can click "Install" from the pop-up launch menu or the "setup.exe" from the disk-drive explorer, but both result in no action.
Bribri,

you do install "the myth 2" + "update" ...
bribri

Post by bribri »

I can't install Myth 2 by itself, so the update does nothing if there are no files for it to update?

Or is there a way to install the two at the same time that I'm not understanding?

The Stickied note says that it should install and then you run the update. My computer does nothing with the original Myth 2 installer, so I'm stuck at step 1: Install Myth 2 with your preferred installation.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Bribri,

Ok, wait, Pyro he go answer for you ... he know more. :)
bribri

Post by bribri »

I appreciate you trying to help anyways. I'm at a loss. I'm thinking if I can run the Demo I should be able to get this to work... somehow.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

That's curious, I'm also running Win7 x64 SP1, and the installer works fine for me. Yours just fails with no error message at all?

Assuming your CD isn't scratched, installing the game manually is very simple:

1) Create a folder where you want to install the game. I install mine at D:/myth2

2) Copy the "tags" folder from the CD into your new folder.

3) Download and install our update. When it asks for a directory, use the folder you created in step 1.

4) (Optional). Do a data integrity check as described here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=6618

Now launch the game by running "Myth II.exe". Since it's a manual install there will be no start menu folder. You can create a shortcut to it on your desktop, pin it to your start menu, or manually create a start menu folder for it.
bribri

Post by bribri »

That worked! Thank you very much!

I just re-bought the CD (from a projectMagma link) so it is a clean disk, so I don't know what the issue is, but it isn't the first time I've had a problem running an "older" game on this computer that supposedly works fine on others.

But for those who find this at a possible later date:

1: Copy the file folder "Tags" to a new folder on your desktop named Myth 2 or something like it
2: Download the newest patch
3: Install newest patch with the file from the first step as the directory.
4: Launch and enjoy!

Edit: To answer your question: Yeah, it just did nothing once I tried to set it up. It's not unusual for older games (HoMM3, Myth I, Age of Wonders, etc. All 1999/2003 games).
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Great, glad to hear you were able to get it working! Enjoy. :)
bribri

Post by bribri »

I'm sorry for being such a goober and needing more help, but I can't get my TFL and TFL III files to work with the Myth II program? I still actually have both disks, so no big there, but the only campaign I can bring up is the Myth 2 missions?

My heart is now set on going from Willow Bridge (or whatever it's name is) to the Forge with some Myth III city siege action to break the monotony.

Any help is appreciated.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

You can play TFL in the Myth II engine with The Fallen Levels plugin. When you start your campaign, you can enable TFL gameplay if you want the TFL style dwarf bottles and such. It's just as fun in Myth II mode though (IMO).

As for Myth III, it can't be used with Myth II. If you want to play that you'll have to figure out how to run Myth III itself. You can find the latest patch on the tain, though unfortunately it's quite old.
bribri

Post by bribri »

I see that option, the "TFL", so I'm assuming that is it? Y'all are awesome.

Thanks again!
Viral Anomaly

Post by Viral Anomaly »

I was digging through some old games of mine and stumbled across my Myth CDs. First thought, "OMG! I can't believe I still have these. I need to pop them in right now!" Needless to say, there were some compatibility issues. After a brief search I came across this information. I had the exact same problem as the original post mentioned. Thank you so much for giving me the information necessary to get these things up and running again. THANK YOU!
Lucoid

Post by Lucoid »

I know I may now be cluttering this thread but made an account and all just to say I CONCUR WITH VIRAL THANKYOU VERY MUCH! :D