People still on 1.7.2

Talk about anything here.
Melekor
Site Admin

People still on 1.7.2

Post by Melekor »

I've seen some people say they are sticking to 1.7.2. If that's you, could you take a minute to explain what's holding you back from upgrading?

I'd like to get a sense of what and how frequent these issues are. For performance issues we may be able to help you resolve them by tweaking certain settings.

Thanks
Last edited by Melekor on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unstickied
Point

Re: People still on 1.7.2

Post by Point »

for me the biggest reason to stick to 1.7.2 is that 1920x1080 resolution works in 1.7.2 and not in 1.8 add to that I get a higher and more stable frame rate on the mac at 1920x1080 than I do at the lower resolutions I'm forced to use in 1.8
whether hard coded resolutions are better performers or not no idea 1.7.2 has just seemed not to stall out the same way 1.8 has seemed to.
out of all the great new stuff in 1.8 so far the only thing I miss by using 1.7.2 is the fixed guard functions.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Point wrote:out of all the great new stuff in 1.8 so far the only thing I miss by using 1.7.2 is the fixed guard functions.
Yeah guard is nice :) I also miss extended zoom and restart/rehost when I go back to 1.7.2 but I watch a fair number of films.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I know why Ghost is still using 1.7.2, if he's still playing at all now.......
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Point wrote:for me the biggest reason to stick to 1.7.2 is that 1920x1080 resolution works in 1.7.2 and not in 1.8 add to that I get a higher and more stable frame rate on the mac at 1920x1080 than I do at the lower resolutions I'm forced to use in 1.8
whether hard coded resolutions are better performers or not no idea 1.7.2 has just seemed not to stall out the same way 1.8 has seemed to.
out of all the great new stuff in 1.8 so far the only thing I miss by using 1.7.2 is the fixed guard functions.
Point, there is almost no way that if you had the resolution previously it would have been removed in 1.8. It has to be something with your software configuration.

Post your machine specs and what your monitor is.
Point

Post by Point »

GodzFire wrote:
Point, there is almost no way that if you had the resolution previously it would have been removed in 1.8. It has to be something with your software configuration.

Post your machine specs and what your monitor is.
Godz not true I'm one of a half a dozen people mentioning unsupported resolutions in 1.8 that were supported in in 1.7.2 and this was brought up many betas ago in the forums ... I believe it had to do with some hard coded resolutions being removed.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Point wrote:Godz not true I'm one of a half a dozen people mentioning unsupported resolutions in 1.8 that were supported in in 1.7.2 and this was brought up many betas ago in the forums ... I believe it had to do with some hard coded resolutions being removed.
1920x1080 works fine for me in both windowed and non-windowed mode in 1.8. Mac OS X 10.6.x So obviously that resolution hasn't been taken out of 1.8. Is the issue that 1.8 only shows recommended resolutions and that's not the native res of your monitor? (just grasping at straws here)
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

1.8 only lists resolutions reported by the OS as being valid for the monitor. 1920x1080 isn't one of those on Point's machine.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Seems like whatever OS they are on is really stupid and not working properly, or maybe they are missing graphics drivers or their monitor is a weird native resolution.

Oh well, since you can't fix the OS, looks like that change is gonna have to be reverted back in 1.8.1 if you want people to update in the future, since that gives them a valid reason not to.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

GodzFire wrote:Seems like whatever OS they are on is really stupid and not working properly, or maybe they are missing graphics drivers or their monitor is a weird native resolution.
No the issue is that Point runs in windowed mode, where arbitrary "resolutions"/resizing should be available. 1920x1080 may very well not be supported by his monitor in full screen mode.

On Windows this is not an issue because you can resize the window arbitrarily. This isn't yet supported on Mac, and that is the proper long term "fix".
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

punkUser wrote:
GodzFire wrote:Seems like whatever OS they are on is really stupid and not working properly, or maybe they are missing graphics drivers or their monitor is a weird native resolution.
No the issue is that Point runs in windowed mode, where arbitrary "resolutions"/resizing should be available. 1920x1080 may very well not be supported by his monitor in full screen mode.

On Windows this is not an issue because you can resize the window arbitrarily. This isn't yet supported on Mac, and that is the proper long term "fix".
Does the Windows build persist the re-sized resolution in preferences?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

No, the "out of game" interface remains 640x480 and cannot be resized the way Myth can during a game. The same resolution selected in preferences is used again next time you load a game.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Pyro wrote:The same resolution selected in preferences is used again next time you load a game.
Right, although obviously this bit would be easy to change.
killerking

Post by killerking »

I've heard a lot of complaints about the new unit trading 'box' in 1.8 which blocks a part of the playing screen. I don't really care, but 1.7.2 UT was better, and I don't understand why this change was made.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

killerking wrote:I've heard a lot of complaints about the new unit trading 'box' in 1.8 which blocks a part of the playing screen. I don't really care, but 1.7.2 UT was better, and I don't understand why this change was made.
To reiterate yet again, the UT dialog box had to be detached from the status bar when the change was made so that Myth can support arbitrary resolutions (i.e. rescalable status bar). Given how it ended up directly below the status bar, just press "F6" to hide the status bar during PT if you like the old way better, and you get something very similar, just centered.