TouchMyth - (only a wee bit of a necro)

Talk about anything here.
cimota

TouchMyth - (only a wee bit of a necro)

Post by cimota »

Hi folks,

Since my last posts her I've been lurking and reading. I'm not sure there is enough interest in a myth-a-like on iPad to justify it. I'm not a developer or a designer so working on something like this was always going to involve raising capital and so far I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I can stay in my comfy job doing marketing work for the digital content (inc games) creators of the north of Ireland or I can take a couple of weeks and head over to the west coast of the USA and meet with some investors who've expressed some interest in the project. Big risk for me :/

I know some of you offered to help design maps and levels but I'm nowhere near needing that. I'm also avoiding the main Myth IP like it was a swarm of bees. I've even steered away from the fantasy genre in our low-fi mockups and initial story development.

The biggest issue is realistic costs. One studio in Spain I contacted said they could "throw together a demo for about £2K and a level for £10k" and that's when alarm bells rang loudly. I presume they meant in Unity or their own engine?

If anyone (especially the devs on here) can give me a realistic estimate for time to develop a game like this (broken down as much as possible) then I'd be really grateful. Post it here is fine. Not looking to do anything in secret. Just like everyone else - this isn't my day job so it's moving slower than anticipated.

(also I got a weird PM from GodzFire and my reply went unanswered)
GodzFire

Re: TouchMyth - (only a wee bit of a necro)

Post by GodzFire »

Sorry, been a heck of a time these past two weeks at work doing overtime. Kinda burnt out and fell behind on contacting people.
cimota

Post by cimota »

GodzFire wrote:Sorry, been a heck of a time these past two weeks at work doing overtime. Kinda burnt out and fell behind on contacting people.
You are a bad person.
(my mailbox is always open - when you get the time)

Does surprise me I've had a few views but no comments. I have an ex Rockstar Vienna developer working on giving me some estimates.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Well, if you got a myth clone going in unity or another engine, I am sure people would jump to help it, on their own time, too.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

I can only compare this to the cost of building a web app. (ie not a home page, but a proper service like Twitter or Basecamp or such). They range from 40,000€ to 400,000€ if it's complex and you want quality UI and a solid backend foundation with admin. So 10k pounds (12,000€) sounds like nothing. Certainly an amount of cash easily raised. There are investors who'll drop 100,000€ just out of curiosity. Heck, if a demo is just 2,300€, that would be covered if 200 Myth players would each chip in 11€. Not impossible at all. Again, check out Kickstarter, see what amounts people have gotten over there.

Specifically: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games
cimota

Post by cimota »

Wee update.

Two programmers on board. One is an experienced web dev/designer and the other is a low level C++ programmer. We're taking on a few contract jobs to support the raising of funds trip to the west coast. Weeks away from commissioning some of the first game art.

So - it's not Myth. But it'll play like Myth.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

cimota wrote:Wee update.

Two programmers on board. One is an experienced web dev/designer and the other is a low level C++ programmer. We're taking on a few contract jobs to support the raising of funds trip to the west coast. Weeks away from commissioning some of the first game art.

Sounds good to me, a myth clone is what I've always said would be the way to go.

If it's a myth clone, it will be easier to open source, or keep updated down the line.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Jard

Post by Jard »

God luck with this, seems to be coming together.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

cimota wrote:Wee update.

Don't rule out Myth completely yet. Let me see what I can do.
cimota

Post by cimota »

Aaaand eight months later, with only one programmer on team, we released the first taster of our first real-time tactics game on iPad: Eagle Lake

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/eagle-l ... 57413?mt=8

It's free so have a go.

Now - it's not Myth. It's not even close. But then it was the work of one game designer and one programmer. And neither of them able to do it full time, both with jobs and families.

Thing is: we'd love help.

For me, the dream is to build an engine that can accept plugins and maps. This is tricky on IOS because of the way the store works. But I have ideas on how to deal with that. We just can't do it alone.

But, the long and the short of it is that we're not giving up.
£N

Post by £N »

Awesome! But is there a video for those of us who lack ipads?
cimota

Post by cimota »

Here's a wee mov I cooked up.

http://conquestdynamics.com/Eagle%20Lake%20480.mov

As I said, it's not Myth. But it's a first to build on.