Performance issues with Myth 2

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Orti

Performance issues with Myth 2

Post by Orti »

Hi guys,

I am having troubles running Myth 2 on my computer. It starts freezing a lot when there is a lot of water on the map, too many units, or when I fast forward the game.

My computer should be able to run it since I used to run it on a much older computer just fine. I am guessing that my settings are not correct (either Myth's or my computers). I am really not that good with computers so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please tell me if I should run any diagnostics and what not, and I will.

Some details of my setup:
Windows XP
Latest Myth beta released
Pentium D 3.4Ghz
2Gb Ram
ATI Radeon 512Mb

Many thanks in advance.
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: Performance issues with Myth 2

Post by Myrd »

Have you upgraded your graphics drivers?

I am assuming you are using OpenGL? Does it run better if you switch to software mode or Direct3D?

Does it happen with both 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 public beta 2?

(By the way, you can bring up the Frames Per Second count using the Delete key - which should make comparing between the above easier.)
Orti

Post by Orti »

Hey Myrd, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I have upgraded my graphics driver. It actually runs worse if I switch to either software mode or direct3d.

The performance under 1.7.2 public beta 2 (the latest; downloaded yesterday) is actually better than 1.7.1. I used to have trouble with normal Myth levels but now I dont.

However, I still cant run Mazz. I start the game with about 300 fps and it drops to 5 fps when i fast forward, when there is a lot of action etc.

When I switched to either Direct3d or sofware, the game started with about 60fps and I had trouble running the game entirely (couldn't click on the start button etc).

I have this problem (freezing) on other games as well, but those require so much more computer power compared to Myth.

Any suggestions are very welcome, thanks.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Do you have other programs running in the background? Do you leave your computer on 24/7? (If so try restarting and retrying.) Are you low on hard drive space? Has your computer been running slower than it used to?

Go to your Myth II folder, inside you will find a "myth_log" text file. Now open it and copy/paste whats in there and post it in here. Might have some info that could help figure out the cause of your troubles.
Orti

Post by Orti »

No other programs running in the background (memory usage is ok). Hard disk space is ok. The computer does run slow at times and thats another thing I need to figure out (i.e.when playing a game of AoE III).

Heres the copy of myth log:

Code: Select all

2011-04-03 21:35:40  
Myth II Build 371b running under Win98 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
	Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
	Found 1 to use
	ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series | ATI Technologies Inc. | OpenGL 3.3
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
  Patch 1.2
  Patch MariusNet
  Patch 1.3
  Patch 1.4
  Patch 1.4 Interface
  Patch 1.5
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for collection definition '##s#'.
Running OpenGL at 1280 x 1024 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Mazzarin's Demise" with 1 plugin...
  Mazzarin's Demise
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Quitting single player game...
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for collection definition '##s#'.
Starting mesh "Mazzarin's Demise" with 1 plugin...
  Mazzarin's Demise
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Quitting single player game...
Starting mesh "Mazzarin's Demise -  Secret Level" with 1 plugin...
  Magma - Mazz VI (v.2)
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Closing Myth.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Here's my two cents:

- Definitely continue to keep using 1.7.2 Public Beta 2 vs the older 1.7.1. There's a crapload of updates and fixes in it

- I am working a guide for setting up M2, I'd check out the performance tips section HERE

- Just a note that if you go from 1.7.2 PB2 back to 1.7.1, it defaults all the graphic checkboxes back to default (which are all off). Might want to check that as well

- Devs, this line confuses me: "Myth II Build 371b running under Win98 ". Does this mean he could be using the 'classic' setup instead of modern?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Can you uncheck the compatibility mode settings under Myth II's properties - it looks like it's set to Windows 98. (Myth II does not need this setting.)

It sounds like your computer might have issues unrelated to Myth II that cause it to occasionally slow down - such an antivirus program kicking in and slowing everything down - or possibly spyware or a virus.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

And don't listen to those "performance tips" godzfire mentioned. If your comp is slow on some myth settings, those tips will for the most part make it slower.
Orti

Post by Orti »

I removed the compatibility option.

Basically the only real 'issue' now is that my computer cant handle a Mazz game at full speed (32x or 64x) and only has very minor freezes at normal speed. I am going to upgrade my memory and see if that settles things.

But you are probably right that these issues are unrelated to Myth.

Thanks a lot guys.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

32x-64x speed? Damn, most computers aren't able to handle that easy regardless.

Out of curiosity, what does M2 do when u hit those speeds? Just freeze, crash, or ?
Orti

Post by Orti »

Fps drops to 4-5fps and there are complete freezes.

A combination of upgrading to the latest beta, updating my graphics drivers, and unchecking the compatibility box has solved my main issue which was the very frequent freezes I was getting in normal games/ maps. So I am fine with that :)

But really, I remember being able to run games at 32x just fine..I guess Mazz is so much more demanding.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well Myth2 only had up to 16x speed, but got 32x and 64x during the 1.7.1 update. Maybe you are misremembering and thinking you were able to use the max speed before when the fact is you can still use that speed just not the new max speed for maps like mazz.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Yeah FPS dropping is not unexpected at 32x/64x. Even on my modern machine I get frame rate drops at these rates... there's just a fair amount of work that needs to be done at these rates. Not only does the game have to be simulated faster (i.e. more CPU), but onscreen graphical things change much more quickly so many more frames of animations and such have to be sent to the GPU in a short period.

So I'm not surprised by your report... in fact it's good to hear that it's running as well as it is on your machine (after updates, etc). Unless you see permanent hangs or anything I wouldn't worry about it.