Networking genius needed

Talk about anything here.
Dio

Post by Dio »

This may be a simple question for some. I have never tried it.
I will be buying some new computers this Christmas..for the kids and myself.
How to network 2 PC's..I think I know..buy 2 networking cards and plug them in together. Play Myth and have fun.

But what about the 3rd PC or 4th? Don't want to go online with them (I need a router for this).

Any of you guys ever hook up a bunch of PC's together and play Games? I think they call this a LAN party.
A little help please. Thanks.
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
lank

Post by lank »

what you need is called an ethernet switch. it's a little box with rj-45 ports on the back (assuming that's the type of network you're using). you can get switches with almost any number of ports, and shouldn't be overly expensive for those with lower numbers.
*toot*
Dio

Post by Dio »

That and network cards for all the computers. ok. Thanks alot.
I will assume that playing Myth will be the easy part to figure out.
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
lank

Post by lank »

just make sure all the computers have ip addresses in with 192.168.x.y

where x is any number from 0 to 255 and is the same across all your machines and y is any number from 0 to 255 and is unique for each machine.

then you can start playing myth games over TCP/IP and the host should show up automatically in the list. :)
*toot*
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

to get addresses like 192.168.x.y you will need an NAT router AND a switch (although almost all NAT routers come with switches built in these days).
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
lank

Post by lank »

in my experience you set the ip yourself if you're just playing on a LAN. router for net access for all the other computers, though, is a great big bonus. :)
*toot*
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Fair enough lank, you could deffinately do it that way, except that no computer would have internet access anymore, and with the price of NAT routers being what it is, why not spend the extra $30-50 and get a 4 port NAT router instead of a switch?
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Archer

Post by Archer »

lank wrote:what you need is called an ethernet switch. it's a little box with rj-45 ports on the back (assuming that's the type of network you're using). you can get switches with almost any number of ports, and shouldn't be overly expensive for those with lower numbers.
At the scale he's talking about, a hub would be cheaper and as effective in terms of actual use.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

actually I recently needed to buy a switch/hub and went looking. Most places didnt sell hubs at all and those that did where 20$-30$ more expensive than a switch
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Archer

Post by Archer »

Then whoever it is selling them is drunk. Hubs are markedly less advanced and capable than switches. I don't even know what it would compare to. Maybe a car without antilock brakes and a good sound system costing more than an identical one with them.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.