Vets Not Being Recognized

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
GodzFire

Vets Not Being Recognized

Post by GodzFire »

I noticed this while I was working on my Reversal Reborn plugin. It seems that M2 forgets your vets after it reaches a certain map.

Steps to re-produce this are easy. First play levels 17: Redemption (wait till u get reinforcements here) through 23: Shiver. You can just use the instant win technique. Now when 24: Twice Born loads, you should have various vet units of all kinds, but instead they are all 'new' units. No Vets were used from previous battles. This kinda sucks because this level and the next one are where you need them the most. Also, insta win on 24: Twice Born. You will see that when 25: The Forge loads, it will start using vets again, but only the Vets you had from last level.

The only reason I can think why this is happening is that M2 is possibly putting all the Vetted units from previous maps into the two Light Forces that are computer controlled.
ozone

Re: Vets Not Being Recognized

Post by ozone »

GodzFire wrote:The only reason I can think why this is happening is that M2 is possibly putting all the Vetted units from previous maps into the two Light Forces that are computer controlled.
Looked into this a bit and you may be right on your assumption because the computer controlled unit are set to vet in loathing and even tho they are in a different unit group the computer controlled ones are in the list first. meaning the carried over vets would go to them first. I think to fix this you just uncheck vetting for the AI units and it would then work...but to add this is an update might not be so easy.
do it.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I think it could be done. Is there a flag you can set in Loathing like "does not use vets"? If so, that could be set for the 2 other armies. Otherwise, would it be possible to convert the 2 other armies into Team 2 and 3? If that is possible, then we could simply set them not to use vets.

It appears other meshes, including single player ones, have been updated in previous patches; 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5. I don't see why we couldn't do the same here as a Patch 1.7. Plus it would give us the ability to fix some other items that was needing to be done but only with a patch, plus including the official Bungie maps Phoenix Rising, Boil and Bubble, Leagues From Nowhere, Fosgarach Ruillick, Creep On The Borderlands, and Going to Town. According to Edda, Cyrptic Wightings still has some issues that need to be straightened out and would make for a good 1.8 release. I'd be glad to help take charge of the maps.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Requiring a patch isn't as easy as you think. The last patch required is the Patch 1.5, which is before the whole backwards compatibility was added. For example, if you make your own patch file, all games will appear red to you. Your game would appear red to people that don't have it.

It has been known for sometime that vets don't get carried all the way through. For all we know this was intended behavior. Even if making a patch is an option, making those units team 2 and 3 will not help. They would prevent the vets from being taken by them, but they would be enemies to your units if they were ever near you. Team 3 does not appear in solo/coop maps.

Perhaps the more feasible option would be if controllable units take priority over uncontrollable units when taking on vets. This might be something the devs might consider doing.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Pyro wrote:Your game would appear red to people that don't have it.
Guess people would have to update then......don't see a downside to that.
Perhaps the more feasible option would be if controllable units take priority over uncontrollable units when taking on vets. This might be something the devs might consider doing.
I wonder if this would require a new Loathing script type.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

GodzFire wrote:Guess people would have to update then......don't see a downside to that.
You never learn.
GodzFire wrote:I wonder if this would require a new Loathing script type.
No, it wouldn't make sense.

I was looking at the map again. What I suggested would not work since the units do not start uncontrollable. The default version of Twice Born before the magma version, had them as uncontrollable. It would have worked for that version, but this newer version has them all controllable and made uncontrollable via script.

As for why vets don't care over, only vets from the map right before it are kept. Since Shiver does not have any units that were on The Wall, it has no vets. So when you get to Twice Born, there are no units from Shiver to keep.

This means it should either stay the way it is, or allow vets to be saved and carried over even if not used in the map before it. It is worth mentioning that the Shiver mesh tag supports veterans. However, the only unit set to use vets is the myrkridia for team 0. Since the map before Shiver is the The Wall, there is no way to keep myrk for vets currently. This leads me to think that Bungie intended for vets to carry over even if not used in the map right before it.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I thought there was a fix in a recent update which did just that, make sure Myth would use available vets even if there's a group of maps where a particular unit type isn't on them. I swore I saw it in a changelog.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well, no, that was never a fix. There was a fix that allowed vets to be carried to the next level for coop even if someone new joined the game. There was a fix to prevent a crash that could occur if there were more than 102 vets.