HD Label Misuse

Talk about anything here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

HD Label Misuse

Post by Pyro »

I was wondering when someone would notice or care to mention this. I've seen some people claim they are making "HD" things. However, this is not correct or am I wrong? Isn't the minimum resolution for high definition something like 1280x720 which is known as 720p? And as far as I can tell, no one has made units 720 pixels tall. For the most part these "HD" creations of people don't surpass the maximum vertical pixels of standard definition. Even if there were units, scenery, or anything in Myth that could be considered HD, the rest of the game still would not be. Therefore, there is no HD in Myth. You can't have part of your screen as HD and the rest as standard definition. That isn't how it works.
Doobie
Site Admin

Re: HD Label Misuse

Post by Doobie »

you're being too literal, HD means high definition which is purely subjective. All it implies is that the resolution is higher some other lower resolution creation. In the case of myth units, I think it applies, even if it doesn't meet the new industry standard of 720p or 1080 i/p
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I suppose so. However, what is wrong with using the term "high resolution" like in the days before "high definition" was around? Industry standards aside, who decides the meaning of high def? Or was the term around long before it was pegged for HD display? I suppose new meanings have to start somewhere, but when does a new meaning become accepted or considered correct by definition?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I will start immediately referring to these plugins as 'Hi Res" or HiRez in order to be more accurate.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Perhaps the idea is that with these units, you can play myth at 720p or 1080p without excessive blurriness due to the fact that things are being interpolated up. Or it could just be referring to the fact that they are higher resolution than what we are used to. I agree "High Res" would probably a more technically accurate description. It also sounds slightly less buzzwordish than "HD", which may or may not be the desired effect ;)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i don't want to be too much of a buzzkill cause I think the new high res units look awesome, but i've been playing standard-res myth units at 1920 x 1080 rez (on a 1080p HD monitor) and they look really good. it may be that i've gotten used to pixellated images over years of playing myth but they don't look fuzzy to me. if i compare the high-res units to the normal-res units obviously the high-res units look much sharper/crisper but reg rez still looks good (doesn't hurt to have the nice new detailed texture landscapes of course).

then again i still watch VHS movies on a CRT television so i might be a bit of a luddite.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I play myth at 1920x1200 therefore myth is high definition (?)

HD is more of a TV thing than a computer thing because most, if not all new monitors are at least 700p
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

yeah, as Doobie said, I think we are being too literal

HD or High Res, it's only a name.

I think what I meant by HD (term I saw Ren call the wind age and i thought it sounded cool) is that Santa's head units are amazing, and if I'm doing WWII units it's just because I think with 1.7 and Oak the resolution can be improved.
But I don't think i can improve playability...hehehe so there you go...HD

but if High res sounds more like it, then High Res it is.
But as High Res doesn't sound as cool as HD, and it's all about advertising (I work in advertising...hehe)
I'll call it WWII Carentan (although somebody will say it doesn't look like Carentan, and I feel a bit of an ass for calling a game out of a place where tons of people died)
...so there you go...someone won't always like the name you picked..hahaha

then what about WWII -french town? sounds dull
whatever
I'll let Ozone and Zeph pick a name
:mrgreen:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

All HD means is high-definition, it's a purely subjective thing as it's up to you what you consider low-definition, and by comparison high-definition. IMO a movie isn't high-definition unless it's at least 800,000,000 pixels x 450,000,000 pixels :)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Our units were indeed rendered in High-Def 1920X1035

You can watch a football game on an HD TV, and even though the players on the screen might only be 1/20th the height of the screen, they are still HD. even if they are only 200 pixels tall out of a total maximum of 1080.
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

No, your units do not end up in that size once you remove the excess background.

As for the football analogy, it does not apply to what you are trying to compare it with. A football player will only be a certain part of the screen, of course. The rest of the scene like the ground, all the people, and other objects you see on the screen together still make it HD. While on Myth, even if you could have true HD units, the rest of the map would still be standard definition and therefore it would not be HD. You can't have part HD and part SD on the screen.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

I played pitfall on atari today in HD WOrd.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

No, your units do not end up in that size once you remove the excess background.
And considering that we still had to shrink them with object tags, they are HIGHER definition than 1.0 scale on a screen running 1920x resolution.

So yes, they are HD, if you want to compare it to the screen resolution analogy used earlier. They in fact exceed it.
While on Myth, even if you could have true HD units, the rest of the map would still be standard definition and therefore it would not be HD.

You can't have part HD and part SD on the screen.
You must not be running detail textures. The only things that aren't HD are a few scenery items and model textures.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

oogaBooga wrote:And considering that we still had to shrink them with object tags, they are HIGHER definition than 1.0 scale on a screen running 1920x resolution.

So yes, they are HD, if you want to compare it to the screen resolution analogy used earlier. They in fact exceed it.
If the units were not scaled down, they don't exceed 720p. If you shrink them down then sure that part of the screen could be technically be HD pixel-wise. However you can't have part HD and part SD, it is an all or nothing. And myth collections are still limited to 256 colors. I have never heard of HD being limited in color so I don't know if 8-bit can ever be actual HD. The screen resolution people run it on would also matter.
oogaBooga wrote:You must not be running detail textures. The only things that aren't HD are a few scenery items and model textures.
You must not know the dimensions of detail textures. Dtex do add more detail and color but doesn't make the map HD.

For example, if you get an HDTV and play a DVD on that screen, it won't make the movie HD. Same thing with Myth.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Quit being a pedant...