Dream Duel at Tyr

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Deqlyn

Dream Duel at Tyr

Post by Deqlyn »

FIring up testing again when I can. SHould be B19DDAT

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... 20DDAT.zip

Last crash was due to OOS which may be fixed. I am kind of in and out with living at 2 places and fixing the other up but I'd like to get some testing going. Anyone in?
Deqlyn

Re: Dream Duel at Tyr

Post by Deqlyn »

So ran it last night with mixed results. Some guys with slower connections OOS. I and host did not. Need more testers.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Ok we did some testing.

1. The Heal Mage apparently can't be stoned, but he should not be able to be paralyzed either. He is too important to be constantly stalled like that, seeing as how there is a plethora of puss on the map.

2. The Heal Mage is the only unit that can unstone.

3. The Soulless do not attack a single target like normal artillery, they attack groups.

4. The only heals available for the undead units are from the Shade, as such if his "reanimation" special could be longer lasting it would help.

5. A game of three went OOS for both the joiners at the same time, 34 minutes.

6. Increase the flinch for the mage units, the Stone Mage flinched when casting a very powerful spell and killed a team mate.

Does the Deceiver's binding dream not work on greater mauls? I used it on them twice and it did not work.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Coin

Post by Coin »

Played on timid with Fury and Omnicron.

General observations:

1. Overall, I like it. Lots of action, fairly good pacing.
2. Occasional scripting bug where enemy will just stop and stand there.
3. Different colors for each mage would help a lot, or slightly diff models. Mistaking heal mage for stone mage is fatal in a rush. In general, it can be hard to distinguish enemy units from friendlies in a big melee rush.
4. Deceiver unit conversion seems spotty. Is this a bug?
5. Heal mage and shade just arn't enough in the way of healers. Heal mage is very slow moving.
6. Can't tell if unit inventories are funky or I just suck. (both?) Stone mage has a tendency to trigger landslide on self. (Needs a forced landscape click to trigger?)
7. I woud love to see the soulless have a bigger role. They are just too weak and slow to protect, and have a tendency to wander off. Can soulless level up? That would be awesome.
9. Initial thrall and myrks player units are fun, but not worth protecting. Disposable.
10. Trow monster-hit only works on big monsters. Why?

I think this has a lot of potential, keep up the good work!
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I have not been able to play it much (oos, hordes). I also have really only played elec and Malpher. I could write pages of what I personally would have tried differently, but I doubt my vrs would be as good as yours in the end. I will try and stick to bugs (if I see any).

I like the spells and effects, and the pace is great, making it much more enjoyable for me then mazz (which im not a huge fan). The controls are pretty terrible though, and some of the monster selections seem odd to me. Once I get the hang of who you can kill with what, I will have a better idea of how to help make it easier to play (if thats what your after). I hate having to switch inventory every click, and remember which artifact im holding.

So my thoughts on Malp and electro:
Malph (the summoner) is a straight kill hoor (awesome). I think all hero units should be equally bad ass, and should add tons more monsters :p. His grenade radius
might get out of hand when vet though, compared to his other spells. His lance spell is awesome, great gameplay there. It seems to get worse as you vet though. Having to switch inventory between these spells sucks. I didnt really have a good use for his other spells, I couldnt figure out how to use decimate, and I think you should mb give the stun wall to the shade or someone. Ive some ideas for new spells that might better fit him if your interested.
Electro starts with no inventory, not like malph. It seems his strings are wrong, at least I could not figure them out. His spells are cool, but his specials dont seem to do much dmg. I think his spells interupt too, which can be bad. One shot from the pyro mazz fireball kills electro from full green :(

I think the biggest problem lies in the inventory controls. As a non-mazzer and DDAT newb, I found the units to be unintuitive and it really took away from the gameplay experience. Imagine 10 or so ruriks are immediately blessed with explosive deadly powers, and having no idea how to use their powers, are left to defend against an army. That was my first 15 games, lasting about 5 mins each. The projectiles and spells all look really good, amazingly you dont seem to be coming anywhere near hitting limits and so it seems to run smooth.

Fixing the inventory (i'll be glad to help) to make it easier to kill enemy, and reducing (balancing) player health would go along way to make this plug great for me personally, but im probably the worst to judge this type of map.

The healing seems a bit of an issue, perhaps shade can use less mana per heals or something. And wish souls could poison more stuff (did that not work?).
Only real bug ive seen so far: OOS everytime at 34 mins. And dec doesnt have shiver death explosion.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Anyone have films of the OOS?
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

I have a film, the one of Fury, Coin, and I.

I will upload to my udogs.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Next time, make sure no one is on the 1st 1.7.1 public beta. Either be on the 2nd beta or have some be on 1.7 to test the compatibility.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Ok Myrd I have a film of an OOS on DDaT. The OOS is at about 36 minutes, there were two joiners and only one went OOS.

I am uploading it to my udogs as OOS build 352.zip

Have fun with it.

Edit: never mind, it turns out grenadierman was on 345, not 352 like he said.
Last edited by Omicron on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I watched the film in build 352 (1.7.1 public beta #2) and build 345 (1.7.1 public beta #1). It does not go OOS in 352, but it does go OOS in 345 at the 35:55 mark. Also, judging from the questions in the in-game chat with gman. He does not seem to know there is a newer 1.7.1 beta and thinks he is on the latest when he is not. Get him to update and he won't go OOS next time.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Thank you Pyro for using your superior myth knowledge to find this out. Also I have another bug for Deqlyn.

1. The Heal Mage needs to have his melee attack set so he does not try to use it unless a unit is very close to him, as is, he like to shoot, move closer, shoot, move closer. Also, if he is pussed, when he recovers he likes to start running and not stop. Is there something that controls this? And he still paralyzes for way too long.