LIMITS PROJECTILES

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Point

LIMITS PROJECTILES

Post by Point »

yeah 1.7 is here... so time to make some time and finish up some projects....

whats the best way around this problem... projectiles limit being reached... theres no bigger bummer than loading a canister shot firing at a horde of enemies and only having 5 projectiles come out....

what do i need to do in fear to make sure that some projectile spots are freed up...

Thanks...

if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
gugusm

Re: LIMITS PROJECTILES

Post by gugusm »

Did you try making some projectiles biodegradable? If not, choose some projectiles which are causing that you hit the limit (those which are on the map in the biggest number and are not so necessary, like lying parts of bodies, weapons etc.) and set their lifespan in projectiles tags in Fear to some time. It will make them disappear after this time (it's measured in seconds). I think that's the best way to solve your problem.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Also, check if any of your projectiles that are meant to die off after impact are actually staying on the map. Sometimes while making new attacks you end up creating projectiles that just won't die eventhough they hit the ground and you can no longer see them. Just load the map and do this attack and check the proj numbers. If it never goes back down when it should, look into those tags.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

Body parts and debris don't count toward the proj limit once they settle. 'Remains after detonation' checked in Fear makes them scenery basically. I'd say cut back on contrail projectiles first. Then maybe cut down on debris projectiles. Attack projectiles should be the last thing you cut back on.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Oh, I'm not sure what 'Remains after detonation' causes, but if you're right Gleep, then there's no problem with body parts for example. However, body parts haven't got 'Remains after detonation' checked as a default, so you have to do this on your own.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I think Gleep meant "Becomes Dormant at Rest", because "Remains after Detonation" makes it stay even after detonation as the name implies. For example, make a sat have "Remains after Detonation" and it will be there even after you try to blow it up. I think.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Heh, ok, I've never messed with those flags, I've only used lifespan to do this. Anyway I'd suggest expirementing with those three things :wink:

EDIT: Well, I looked into Fear documentation and yes, it looks that 'Becomes dormant at rest' it is. So check it wherever you need it, also try using lifespan and you'll be fine Point :wink:
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

Thanks for correcting me Pyro, I knew it was something like that. heh
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

yes my poison thrall had this problem. Check all flying projectiles something is staying on the map whether bullets or w/e. And when they continue to fire they just build up. Easiest way to check this is to have each unit fire at the ground. See if the number resets to 0 or 10 or whatever it starts at with no units firing etc...
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Pyro wrote:I think Gleep meant "Becomes Dormant at Rest", because "Remains after Detonation" makes it stay even after detonation as the name implies. For example, make a sat have "Remains after Detonation" and it will be there even after you try to blow it up. I think.
Remains after detonation only affects the projectile when it impacts something, it's used for things like sharp debris so it can injure units it hits, but still remain afterwards. If you hit it with an explosion it can still be destroyed provided it's vulnerable to that type of damage.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I think the problem is the biodegrader you have, you may have to reduce the lifespans or get rid of it altogether.

As I understand it, all particles (scenery, body parts, bullets, etc) are classified as objects, with a limit of 8491 (at least)

and moving objects are classified as Projectiles (but are objects too)

When you set projectiles to become dormant at rest, they basically stay around as scenery and no longer count as projectiles. This is how normal body parts work, unfortunatly they cannot biodegrade unless exploded. All body parts should have this flag (but only body parts).

If you remove becomes dormant at rest, have a lifespan, and promote to nothing, the projectile will remain a projectile until lifespan is up, and then biodegrade. If the lifespans are to long, this will really hog up the 1024 proj limits and cause the exact problem your having. Either that or a messed up attack that doesn't become dormant or biodegrade.

I do not like biodegraders on body parts, they make for weak battlefields. So in my opinion for large battles, all attacks and spells should be realistic and have a quick biodegrade (seriously, no more then 5 or 10 seconds), and so they wont count toward the objects limit. Unless you have 400 soldiers all shooting mirv bombs at the exact same time, there should not be any problems with the proj limits. Body parts should always become dormant at rest, except mb for thrall type parts. The 8000+ object limit seems pretty tough to reach, unless you have tons of exploding scenery (like sand bag walls). Some fairly simple scripts can help if obj limit is reached.
Point

Post by Point »

well as far as i can tell I must have a problem with the biodegrades i have set... im thinking its the gabions (sanbag) like debri that is the main culprit.... thanks for all the suggestions hopefully I can adjust a few things and get the bullets flying again.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I think that a better way to bio-degrade would be to have a damaging effect that periodically activates with a large radius (you'd likely need several to cover the map), they would have a fixed amount of damage, and a slow expansion rate.

This would deduct damage from a dormant projectile, and, at worst, only make it become a projectile again very briefly before it returns to rest. In this way, the projectile's health becomes a new life-span counter, and once it runs out the item will be destroyed.

Such a system however would require very careful construction of the tags, so it will not destroy projectiles in flight or cause similar weirdness.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I once made a group of spiders run around and "eat" body part artifacts that had a timed charge to disappear in inventory. They were awesome and worked pretty well.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Fury IX wrote:I once made a group of spiders run around and "eat" body part artifacts that had a timed charge to disappear in inventory. They were awesome and worked pretty well.
lol! Did it ever make it into a map? That's a pretty novel and interesting approach =D