The Battle for Urbarahz v1.0

Talk about anything here.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Created by members of Project Magma and the Onyx Warlords.

The Goblins’ seemingly endless host has penetrated the borders and has overrun the lowlands on their march toward the mountain of Urbarahz. Join in the defense of the Dwarven homeland; fighting before, on the slopes and inside the mountain. Will you manage to keep the Goblins at bay?

The Battle for Urbarahz is an excellent ale drinking, axe swinging, highly explosive (sometimes majikal too ;-) ), and carnage filled map pack with 8 levels you won't find anywhere else. TBU features new units, scenery, models, and, of course, colourmaps.

Myth II 1.7 is recommended. Be sure to play with detail textures on!
Baak

Re: The Battle for Urbarahz v1.0

Post by Baak »

Wow! This is like Christmas or something! :D

:: downloading now ::
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Is it already done? :D That's great, I'm downloading it right now, thanks !! :D
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

wowzers, new SOLOS! w00t! xmas DID come early this year. Curse this pesky job that keeps me from trying it out for another 9 hours.....
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

There's a Christmas tree somewhere in that campaign :D
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

It's quite fun, seems a bit rough around the edges though? I noticed obvious mesh-edges, and some patches of terrain with no detail-texture on them (in amongst ones that do it looks a bit weird).

The colour-maps are really nice, and the game-play is okay, though the unit mix and frequent attacks from all sides make it very heavy-going even on lower difficulties, especially with the goblin units being long-ranged compared with the dwarves.

Also, the prologues could use some sound, not necessarily narration but music at least, for me they also came up as black-text on a dark background, was that intentional? Because it's kind of hard to read :)

If anyone gets a group together though for some co-op then I'd be interested, as I think it'd be a lot more fun to play with more people (to more easily divide attention in several directions).
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Colormaps, units, spells, scripting, artwork, etc. etc, are really great! Although as Haravikk said, it's very hard. I had to pause the game over and over in the 3rd level, but at the end they've been always killing me anyway :wink: And I haven't tried the next ones yet. Maybe I should play it on Timid.

Anyway, that's a great plug, but a bit hard, though playing it with more people would be much more fun for sure :)

All in all, great job! Thanks :D
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

Its a good plugin well made... really kool fog :)

-Saint †
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
killerking

Post by killerking »

Just downloaded it and I must say it looks really nice, but some of the map edges appear rather odd and very high - maybe that could use an update? I'd also like some narration for the pre-game! Gameplay rocks though, and that's also very important! Also good thing is has so much new levels, I hope to finish some of them this summer vacation!

Killerking
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

This is a really fun campaign, I've been playing it on and off since you released it (some of those levels are impossible for my feeble skills to win alone, need to start a BfU coop night) and the playability is really good. I was never a big fan of the 7th god units (lots else I like about the campaign but hte units always felt a bit 'off' to me) but they seem to work 'better' here, or at least I like them here.

Kudos to everyone who worked on this, and thanks for all the hard work that went into this project!
killerking

Post by killerking »

Hey fellas,

I'm playing the 3rd level of tbu now, and in I think 50% of the cases the Thane doesn't go to the teleport for reinforcements (that die, and well, you know). I'll provide a save game file to show you what happens, since he also seems to teleport for some reason.
Attachments
urb bug_ no teleport.zip
(53.16 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Are you saying he goes uncontrollable but doesn't start walking toward the teleport, or something else? He does go invisible and reappear to cover the distance faster--it's such a huge, long level as it is. I'll check out the save, though it'll probably be a week or two before I can address it. Thanks for catching it.
killerking

Post by killerking »

A-Red wrote:Are you saying he goes uncontrollable but doesn't start walking toward the teleport, or something else? He does go invisible and reappear to cover the distance faster--it's such a huge, long level as it is. I'll check out the save, though it'll probably be a week or two before I can address it. Thanks for catching it.
I'm saying that he walks PAST the teleporter (while being uncontrollable), and after some time he dissappears and appears again at the teleporter. But in 50% of the cases he appears again, he doesn't do anything and the units never use the teleporter and thus you're stuck.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

It's a brilliant production, despite it's many rough edges, though I can't help but wonder...

Was it really necessary to make it so hard on the lower difficulties? Things happen very quickly, and there's very little breathing room. Almost like I'm not really focusing on a spontaneous defense, but a practiced routine. It's like I'm being punished for something.

I mean, I get it, you're making maps for yourselves, not some imaginary mass of individuals.... it's just strange that so few plugins capture the nice difficulty curve of the original series.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I believe that some maps are hard even in lower difficulties because the people making them want the maps to be a challenge. After testing their own creations and changes, they likely know how and when to use their units. So when others play them, it seems harder to them because they don't have the mapmaker's map design in their minds. Maybe they are over doing it and not know it. Or the players aren't playing the maps enough to get used to them the way the default maps were to some degree back in the day. Or the mapmakers did not do enough testing to balance out the differences from different difficulties.