1.7 beta issues (mb?)

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
foxlinked

1.7 beta issues (mb?)

Post by foxlinked »

I was playing mazz tonight and 30 minutes into it, myth started to trip out on me

options are opengl / window / 512mb texture
using latest cat 9.4 drivers on my crossfired 4850's

screen shot gallery

direct links to pictures since imageshack is being odd with that gallery link
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1880/m2errars1.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6180/m2errars2.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3356/m2errars3.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9339/m2errars4.jpg

idk if this is an issue with 1.7 or what but it only happened in the mazz game I played tonight.

any idea what might be causing this?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Hi Foxlinked, Thanks for reporting this.

It looks like a bug in the OpenGL texture cache system. I would guess that this is in 1.6 as well since that system has not been changed in 1.7, but we should try to fix it anyways.

Do you know if anyone else in the game saw the problem too, or was it just you? If you saved a film of this game, please email it to melekor@projectmagma.net. I also need to know what OS you are on and what your texture cache size is set to in the prefs.

If you find more bugs in the future, please post in the Official Bug Reporting Thread.
foxlinked

Post by foxlinked »

I'll try sending the film when I get home later - at work right now.
I was running on Vista x64. I don't think anyone else had the problem because they seemed to be doing fine. It became unplayable for me because I couldnt tell who to attack haha.

I had the texture cache set to 512 since both my cards have 512 (is that how you set it or...?)

Weird thing is I watched the film last night in D3D and OGL fast forwarding to around 30 minutes in - in the film and there was no texture corruption.

So I guess it only happens when I'm actually playing... maybe...
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I was afraid that the film might not show anything. I would still like to have a copy of it though, because mazz is a good testing ground.

I think the intent of the texture cache is to set it to something less than the max, like 70-80%. If the vram gets full then the driver will have to start swapping stuff through its own cache system, which is theoretically less efficient than our own because we store the non resident sprites in a compressed format. In reality it probably doesn't make a bit of difference on such a fast machine like yours.
GodzFire

Re: 1.7 beta issues (mb?)

Post by GodzFire »

Spa confirmed this is the exact same type of stuff he is getting. He will be looking to take screenshots when it happens.

Would saving the film, mythlog, or turning debug on help at all?

Maybe get him to post his system specs?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Films would be useful. Also would be good to know whether re-watching the film for him shows the issue again.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Almost certainly the film will not help. The texture cache behavior changes every run depending on where you move the camera etc. The issue is so rare that it's been reported just twice in 2 years. I just don't think we are going to be able to reproduce it at all, similar to the sound delay bug (but worse). My feeling is if we are to fix it, it will either be by carefully analyzing the code line by line, or by just rewriting the whole thing. (I'm actually rewriting it for 1.8 anyways)
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

What video cards/drivers/OS are you guys using? I used to see this in GL on my ATI card in Windows (7) the odd time as well, but haven't seen it lately.