Okay it's time to get serious about Myth's future

Talk about anything here.
GodzFire

Okay it's time to get serious about Myth's future

Post by GodzFire »

I'm on a roll here, so before I get all lazy and not wanna write up this post, here it goes:

Let's get some cold, hard facts about Myth, the units, and who owns what. Here's what I know:

What has been the ownership history of Myth 1, 2, and 3?

- Myth and Myth II were developed by Bungie. As a result of Bungie's sale to Microsoft in 2000 the company lost the franchise rights to Take 2.

- Take2 created Myth 3 in 2001, which was developed by Mumbo Jumbo. Take2 laid off most of the Mumbo Jumbo development team during the final phase of development. A group of members created MythDev to continue work on Myth 3 voluntarily. They disbanded December 2003, with the rights of the game going to Contraband Entertainment.

- Currently Take2 owns all three Myth games, but has done nothing for it

Who has the original Myth 1/2/3 source material?

- Most likely for M1/2, some select members of the Bungie team at the time, still have the game resources.

- For M3, Michael R. Bagnall (Blades) and Rick Stufflebean (Clem), have the working material.

Where are the models for the Myth units?

- From what I know, pieces of the models for each of the Myth games have been given to different people in the community. Some original source code apparently has been lost to hard drive failure.

--------------------------------

So that's what I have. Post what you know about each of the sections, and let's get some hard evidence here. Let's see what we all have available to us, and also who we could potentially contact. Come on guys, Myth doesn't need to die like this!
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I'm hoping this is a joke, there's nowhere to take this from here at all.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Why do you think it's a joke? I'm very serious.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

USe the search function
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

Well you can always contact take 2 and ASK how much the rights to the game is...I think if the entire community pitches in we can buy the rights back to the game we love

-Saint †
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
lank

Post by lank »

i think the number that's been estimated before has been no less than US$10,000. and if we all pitch in, who, exactly, owns the rights and gets to decide what happens with any of the content? i wish it could be a simple matter, but i suspect that's out of the question...
*toot*
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

im sure a few select could punch in the money :P
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I'd really like to know how much the rights for the Myth series was, just for the heck of it.

If it wasn't something exorbitant, I'd definitely put in a couple hundred.

Anyway, let's switch over to the Myth material we supposedly do have. I heard Iron, at one time, had some of the Myth source code, but it was lost forever in a hard drive crash, and he made no backups.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Backups? Who needs backups?
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

lank wrote:and if we all pitch in, who, exactly, owns the rights and gets to decide what happens with any of the content?
Me of course.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

TarousZars wrote:
lank wrote:and if we all pitch in, who, exactly, owns the rights and gets to decide what happens with any of the content?
Me of course.
I'd go with TZ owning myth.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

lank wrote:i think the number that's been estimated before has been no less than US$10,000. and if we all pitch in, who, exactly, owns the rights and gets to decide what happens with any of the content? i wish it could be a simple matter, but i suspect that's out of the question...
At the end of the day the Myth community is gonna say Project Magma lank. If it had to happen the community largely (in terms of number of people, not necessarily those that play actively) would push for that I think. And frankly, I don't think Magma would want the responsibility or bother.

And I'm fairly sure $10k is the figure that was quoted when Lothar asked them.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Bungie has NOTHING. Our IT guy at work has a personal friend who works at Bungie. He checked around and said everything was given to take 2. All backups everything. Not to mention Take 2 moved their office and destroyed it or there was a fire... something like that check the Unit Models post. So Take 2 has it all. Not Bungie/Microshaft.