Guard command not working? - My guards ain't guarding very well ;)

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Post by Baak »

We played a ton of practice games for the DE2 round of MWC and I noticed something:

Using the [G]uard command didn't work at all for Locks and Fetch in at least one situation.

I had them posted on top of the castle in Shuffle, defending a flag. I had them [G]uarded so they wouldn't go off shooting at the wrong time.

An enemy group approached the castle from one side - pretty far away - far enough away that I would have never fired upon them with my Locks or Fetch. Lo and behold these units turned and immediately fired!

I quickly selected them again and [G]uarded - and my Locks proceeded to shoot their second fireball - one from WAY behind my other units, killing my Fetch. I was doing nothing with all these units but [G]uarding them - frantically - and they completely ignored me.

The way it used to work was that Guarded units would stay put and not attack unless attacked.

I think this may be part of what I've been experiencing as units feeling "out of control" - they're like a bunch of puppies that I'm constantly corraling. An ordermate commented to me that his melee units felt extra aggressive, but I didn't ask him if he was Guarding them and they attacked.

Luckily it was a practice game and I noticed that the only way to keep them guarded was to spacebar them (the Stop Command as opposed to the Guard Command). But this is not consistent since with the G command you could select units at any time and Guard them, not just Stop them as they are attacking/moving.

Is this something that anyone else is experiencing?

I'll keep an eye on it in future games to see what happens as well.

Thanks in advance,
~Baak
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

guard just makes them not chase an enemy space bar (stop) makes them not move or attack unless attacked.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Yeah, the guard command makes them stand ground and attack whatever enemies come in range, but never chase. Stop makes them stand in place and not attack at all.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Dang - glad I got that clarified before the next battle! DOH! :0

Thanks guys. :D
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Also, Guard with Melee troops makes them stay put, fixed to the ground. Ideal for surrounding a flag with thrall or the like, as they can't be triggered to walk away.

With missile units though it doesn't have this affect.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Baak

Post by Baak »

With missile units though it doesn't have this affect.

But the missile units won't move unless attacked, right?
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

correct. When they do move its because an enemy is in range & they're blocked from shooting due to a friendly unit being in the way.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Baak

Post by Baak »

Thanks!

Now I've got some Puppy Chow to feed those Puppies! ;)