Question about the history of Myth

Talk about anything here.
kevrochucky

Question about the history of Myth

Post by kevrochucky »

I've been trying to figure this out from all the narrations and it doesn't make sense yet. At the very end of Myth 2 the narrator says that the world will go through cycles of 1000 years where dark will rule, then the light where a commit will display signifying the changing of the guard. Does that mean that during 1000 years prior to Myth 1 the Dark have ruled? Because they obviously don't rule after the fall of Balor. What confuses me is that it seems the Great War has only been going on for like 15 years when you catch up to the story. Sorry if this is confusing, but I've just been trying to figure it out. It wouldn't make sense if there were 2 consecutive light periods right?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

"One hundred ten years ago, during the Wolf Age, Muirthemne was sacked, burned and all but buried under a mountain of rock and sand by Balor and the Fallen Lords. As I stood before the ruins of the Mausoleum of the Cath Bruig I could not help but wonder what we hoped to gain by owning it."
-Myth II, Level 16, "The Ibis Crown"

Before Myth TFL, the light were in control, but Balor showed up towards the end of the era and destroyed Muirthemne. It happened 50 years before TFL. Myth II took place 60 years after Myth TFL. TFL takes place between the late 16th year and early 17th year of the Great War. The dark should have won according to the cycle, which is what the series is about. Breaking the cycle. Or at least we hope we broke it.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I'm not sure you're correct, Pyro. Because some of the narration says SB broke the cycle (in M2).. and will suffer at the hands of those who set the cycle in motion. Implying that the events in TFL were in-line with the cycle.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

You guys are kinda all correct, 1000 years before TFL takes place was when Connatch defeted Moagim reborn and ended the Dark's last ruling the world cycle, that had lasted for 1000 years during allmost the entire wind age. So it was darks "turn" to rule the blasted world in TFL.

I think the logic of them saying in the naration that maybe SB broke the cycle, only would make sense if they also thought Balor wasnt really the leveler to begin with.

Balor must have been the leveler though because he defeated Moagim reborn.

-Renwood
Peach Out
Gholsbane

Post by Gholsbane »

I've tried to figure this out several times and actually several sources in the game contradict each other on the details. So it's kinda confusing.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

The whole point of throwing the head in the Devoid was so that the Leveler was destroyed--in theory, that should be what broke the Cycle. Of course, you're completely right to point out the quote from the M2 epilogue--maybe Bungie just wanted to be really, really sure.

Of course, if some mapmaker wanted to bring back the Leveler entity, I'm sure they could find a way.
Last edited by A-Red on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

A-Red wrote:The whole point of throwing the head in the Devoid was so that the Leveler was destroyed--in theory, that should be what broke the Cycle.
This simple point is the one everyone misses!
kevrochucky

Post by kevrochucky »

okay yeah that all makes sense. So defeating Balor is what broke the cycle. killing soulblighter was kinda like the frosting on the cake I guess? Anyways I am trying to figure it out cause I am writing my on story which takes place a thousand years later, and I was just making sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks guys.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

The Leveler has overcome worse then having his head cut off and thrown in a super deep pit, and still come back a thousand years later.

the first Leveler was beheaded and burnt at the stake,

Moagim (the second leveler) was drawn and quartered, the tireless horses dragging the body parts to teh 4 corners of the world.

Moagim reborn (teh 3rd Leveler) was burnt to ashes then mixed with salt and burried under the mountains of Korr.

The fate of the leveler's body will not also mean the end of the entity that is the leveler.

to really know for sure if he will return after Balor, you would have to live in the lands of myth another thousand years and see if the Leveler returns with the comet.

-Renwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yE_Mg_Gk
Peach Out
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood TWA wrote:The Leveler has overcome worse then having his head cut off and thrown in a super deep pit, and still come back a thousand years later.
yeah, but everyone knows that the 'super deep pit' is really a black hole. Throwing part of the body into the pit that SHOULD have made it pretty hard for the leveler to reassemble. SYou ever see a headless corpse walking around looking for it's head? Pretty comical. It should have taken WAY more than 60 years just for the headless leveler to find his head.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Renwood TWA wrote:the first Leveler was beheaded and burnt at the stake,

Moagim (the second leveler) was drawn and quartered, the tireless horses dragging the body parts to teh 4 corners of the world.

Moagim reborn (teh 3rd Leveler) was burnt to ashes then mixed with salt and burried under the mountains of Korr.
Dang, that's got to hurt. :shock:

I'm thinking if I were the leveler entity I'd come back as the world's nastiest virus. But then I guess directing the troops would be tricky.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Renwood TWA wrote:Moagim reborn (teh 3rd Leveler) was burnt to ashes then mixed with salt and burried under the mountains of Korr.
I can only speak from my own experience, but when that happened to me I was up and running again in just a few days.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ditto for me that time I got drunk and was talked into being the leveller. No wonder the leveller keeps "coming back", he's a sneaky bastard - he seems to always manage to buy enough drinks to talk someone into taking his place leading his army just before he's about to be dismembered/burned/vaporized/whatever by the forces of light.

But man that salt sure stung like heck.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

vinylrake wrote:he seems to always manage to buy enough drinks to talk someone into taking his place leading his army just before he's about to be dismembered/burned/vaporized/whatever by the forces of light.
Yeah, he's a ratios h00r.
Fortified Hooligan

Post by Fortified Hooligan »

True.

The leveler is not a certain person bringing their destroyed body back together. It is some entity that is connected with the commet in some way.

So no matter how thouroughly you destroy the current body of the leveler, he will possess someone else when the time comes.

Like an agent from the matrix, in a way.