Myth II: Soulblighter just some fyi and food for thought

Talk about anything here.
Point

Myth II: Soulblighter just some fyi and food for thought

Post by Point »

from answers " Brian Rubin, All Game Guide"
just some fyi and food for thought for anyone thinking of new myths...

Myth II: Soulblighter

* Platform: Hybrid Windows/Mac
* Release Date: May 15, 1998

Game Description
Myth II: Soulblighter is the follow-up to Bungie's real-time combat game, Myth. Like its predecessor, Myth II is a fully-rendered 3D world in which you pit your forces of light against the forces of evil, this time led by Soulblighter, one of the all-powerful bad guys from the original game.

Myth II: Soulblighter strives for realism. Dwarves can crumble the walls of a castle with their mortars, archers can shoot lit arrows into dry grass to spark a great blaze, and drawbridges lower. The action is controlled from a top-down angled view which is rotatable, and players can preset groups and assign them tasks.

Realistic 3D presentation is the cornerstone of a riveting strategy-gaming experience. Imagine yourself looking down on a medieval battlefield. You can fly up for a high overview, rotate 360 degrees to look from any angle, slide left or right and even zoom in so close you can see the facial expressions of your fully-rendered soldiers.

Myth II consists of more than twenty individual scenarios in which you control assorted forces and fight to achieve varied goals, all of which involve combat. While the scenarios are part of the single-player game, Myth II supports networking against other players as well.

You can quickly play anywhere from two to 15 players over a local network or over Bungie's free Internet gaming site (www.Bungie.net). At any time, day or night, you can go online and jump head-first into real-time strategy battles against up to four other armies.

In multi-player mode, you can create an army and then give control of units to other people. Goals of these games range from pure military strategy such as "King of the Hill" (you take the high ground and hold it against all opposition) to the playground -reminiscent and aptly-titled "Kill The Guy With The Ball." Combine a variety of scenarios, each with different terrain, with the always-unpredictable human foe and you've got a gaming experience that remains fresh.

You can mix-and-match the various units, creating a force that fits you perfectly whether you believe in slow formation advances or Blitzkrieg tactics. The game keeps running statistics of your battles, allowing you to compare your "kill ratio" and military skill with that of thousands of other players. Blood flies as units clash, corpses and body parts litter the ground and scorch marks from Dwarven Molotov cocktails blacken the field of battle. By the end of any encounter, the carnage of war covers the field of honor

Myth II: Soulblighter is about combat -- not escaping mazes, marshalling resources or developing a character. The hand-to-hand strategy reflects military theory as the high ground gives you a distinct advantage, units react to distractions and feints and the pincer maneuver remains the ultimate weapon for those who leave units exposed.

New units in Myth II: Soulblighter include the Warlock, who casts fireballs and confusion; Heron Knights, who are basically hardy journeymen; Stygian Knights, which are magically animated suits of armor; the Myrkridia, fast goat-like creatures; Greater Myrkridia, who are capable of throwing many explosive projectiles at once; Maul, pig-like creatures; and the Bre'Unor, who hold the ability to control wolves.

Noteworthy is the fact that version 1.01 was recalled immediately after it was discovered that if users attempted to install anywhere but the default directory, their entire hard drive would be wiped clean (ouch). ~ Chris Couper, All Game Guide
Roots & Influences
Myth II is the sequel to the hugely popular Myth, and brings more units, missions, as well as unit and map editors to the table. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Enjoyment
If this sounds like it interests you, it probably will enthrall you once you play it. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Production Credits
Project Leader: Tuncer Deniz

Programming: Jason Regier, Konrad Sherinian, Jonathan Haas

Artwork: Mark Mernal, Paul Clift, Frank Pusateri, Juan Ramirez

Level Design: David Bowman, Bob Settles, Tuncer Deniz, Mark Bernal, Paul Clift, Frank Pusateri, Juan Ramirez, Nathan Bitner

Story: Robt McLees, Tuncer Deniz, Bob Settles, Jason Jones

Interface Design: Max Hoberman, Chris McVeigh

Win/Loss Artwork: Gary McCluskey, Juan Ramirez

Sound & Music Design, by Total Audio Inc.: Marty O'Donnell, Mike Salvatori, Paul Heitsch

Additional Net Levels: Christopher BArrett, Jamie Griesemer, James Trevett, Tyson Green, John W. Scott, Chris Dressen, Charles Gough, Max Hoberman

Testers: Charles Gough, Jaime Griesemer, Peter Marks

Documentation: Matthew Soell, Doug Zartman, Max Hoberman

Manual Artwork: Juan Ramirez

Packaging: Max Hoberman, 13th Floor

Box Cover Artwork: John Bolton

Box Background: Corey Barba

Strike Team: Tuncer Deniz, Alexander Seropian, Robt McLees, Allen Turner, Brent Pease

Damage & Spin: Max Hoberman, Doug Zartman, David Joost, Diane Donohue, Jenny Trisko, Matthew Soell, Allen Turner, Ryan Hylland, Jim Ruiz, Tyson Green

Cutscenes: Anime International Company (AIC), (Tokyo, Japan)

Director: Nakazawa Kazuto

Chief Producer: Hassegawa Yasuo, Yuji Morioka

Storyboards: Juan Ramirez, Robt McLees

Key Animation: Ohasi Yosimitu, Kubo Masahiko, Sai Fumihide, Mizuhata Kenji, Yamaguchi Kenichi, Isihara Koichi, Abe Misao, Watanabe Yosihiro, Hasimoto Takasi, Simokawa Hisasi

Inbetweening Check: Takai Ayako

Inbetweening: Akiba Namie, Kurosaki Akihiro, Takei Tsutomu, Sakata Osamu, Asano Yoji, Takahasi Go

Appointee of Colors: Sekiguchi Tomoko

Examination of Colors: Sato Naoko, Abe Noriko, Kimura Emiko, Suzuki Yuka, Ouchi Aya, Suzuki Eri

PaintingL Onishi Mineyo, Ito Terumi, Ito Sakiko, Hibi Chieko, Minowa Ayami, Matuoka Tamae

Photography: Sato Hitosi, Yasuhara Toshiyuki, Tanigaki Hiroshi, Yamauchi Syota, Yamamoto Takeshi, Abe Yasuhiko

Editing: Jay Film, Otake Yayoi

Art Designer: Narita Hideyasu

Background: Arai Ken, Mto Kenichi, Hori Sotaro, Sue Nobuhito

Line Producer: Katano Shinichi

Assistant Producer: Kawabata Masaaki

Translation: Yota Wada ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Overall
Making a sequel to a game that's a huge hit is probably one of the most grueling, stressful tasks ever to face a game developer, and one that is usually not met with success. This is easily evident, as for every Civilization II, SimCity 3000, or System Shock 2, there are twenty Uprising II's or Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun's. A sequel can be a risky proposition...do you make it a revolutionary or evolutionary sequel, either going in an all new direction or sticking with a tried and true formula, simply adding more of what made it great in the first place. Well, one can only imagine how the folks at Bungie felt when they undertook the task of making a sequel to their mega-hit, Myth: The Fallen Lords. The original Myth was a revolutionary breath of fresh air, because while the market at the time was saturated with lots of "me-too" real-time strategy titles, Myth did something totally different, such as totally throwing resource management out the window, and bringing the genre into full 3D acceleration. Myth also did something different from most strategy games...it had an integral story that was actually good. Can a developer build on this success and make the game better than the original? In the case of Myth II: Soulblighter, the answer is a resounding yes.

The beginning of Myth II grabs you right by the throat and won't let go to the very end. Like the original Myth, the story in Myth II is very important to every mission you'll play. The story begins with stories of people being abducted and taken to graveyards, and then later returning as the undead to ravage the people. It's from here that an intricate plot is spun for you through the use of gorgeous cut-scenes and through the missions themselves. I won't talk about the plot anymore, lest I spoil all the delicious surprises and twists contained within. The missions in which much of the story is presented are varied, challenging, and interesting. These aren't your typical hack and slash missions, as many will involve intricate objectives that will require some real tactical finesse. The designers really went all out in the mission and level design, both of which show an incredible amount of innovation and imagination.

While the story may be wonderful in Myth II, it's the gameplay that really shines, both in single and multi player, a claim that many games can't make. The game takes place on a fully 3D battlefield, and one needs to take this into account when putting their tactics into effect. Line of sight, gravity, and even weather will come into play as you vanquish your foes. The game gives you full camera and unit control through both the keyboard and the mouse, and the interface is easy to use and efficient. There's a tutorial scenario that explains the usage of both the camera and the use of the mouse in selecting and manipulating units. This is a great place to get started if you're not used to the interface or never played the first game. Effective camera and unit controls are both necessary to success on the battlefield.

The battlefields you'll be fighting on are absolutely gorgeous. Myth II takes the 3D accelerated engine from Myth and tweaks it, adding multiple resolutions, Direct3D support, and much more detail. The result is one of the most beautiful strategy games ever released. The beauty that this engine is capable of is one that I can barely put into words, but here goes.  This engine renders the battlefield in a detail rarely seen, with fully interactive foliage, wildlife, and weather effects. The battlefield can be viewed from any angle, thanks to the movable camera, and while this is crucial for tactical success, it gives one the opportunity to see the sights as well. The maps may not be huge, but they're so detailed that no one will care. 

The objects and units that populate these beautiful maps are also quite lovely. The game renders units in so much detail that you feel you're watching them from a tree, it's that good looking. This engine also renders carnage better than anyone else's. The amount of blood and death that permeates the battlefield is both fulfilling and gorgeous, with generous amounts of blood and body parts flying everywhere. The violence can be turned off for those younger players, but you wouldn't want to give them this game anyway, so that option can be left alone.

We now come to the multiplayer component of the Myth II, which is second to none. One can play through both a TCP/IP connection or through Bungie's own Bungie.net, which incidentally can be found at www.bungie.net. This service is free and so easy to use that its silly, and playing on my paltry 56K connection was as smooth as silk. The gameplay is so much fun and the players are such a blast to play with that one can always find a good time. The mods that have been made with the included editors (discussed below) range from downright hilarious (from a Lego mod to a mod based on Soccer using explosives). This multiplayer action guarantees a long life, and droves of people can still be found playing this game.

Finally, we come to my favorite piece of any worthy title, a comprehensive mission and map editor, or in this case, editors. There's something to be said for a developer that includes its own development tools for the use of its users, and in Myth II's case, we have two editors, dubbed Fear and Loathing. These two editors allow you to make just about anything you could want, from maps to units to graphics to stories. The editors are quite hard to use, and undocumented, but some astute folks have made some great modifications for Myth II, from World War II to Lego.

Overall, what we have here is a sequel that takes what made the first game fantastic, tweaked it, added some stuff, and listened to the players who played the original Myth. The result is a fantastic sequel that shows that a sequel can be a lot better than the original while being innovative in its own right. If you have any interest in fantasy warfare, great graphics, fast tactical action, and lots of good violence thrown in for good measure, than you'll love Myth II. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Graphics
Beautiful...stunning...mere words cannot convey their beauty... ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Sound
Each unit and object has a sound effects, and while some are great, most (like the Dwarves) are downright hilarious. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Replay Value
With FANTASTIC multiplayer action and two comprehensive editors, this one will be around on people's hard drive's for ages. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
Review: Documentation
The manual is adequate, and tells you all you'll need to know, as well as some history. ~ Brian Rubin, All Game Guide
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Point

may 15th... = 10 years of myth II

Post by Point »

may 15th... = 10 years of myth II release..
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
lank

Post by lank »

except i seem to recall my pre-ordered copy (which came with a dark blue shirt with the myth 2 title over left breast because i pre-ordered) not arriving until after new year 1999. given the version 1.0 debacle, it should have arrived before christmas 1998, so i think the may 15 release date is a bit early, isn't it?
*toot*
Anthson

Post by Anthson »

I think I remember my preorder arriving before Christmas. I still have the blue shirt. No shit.
ozone

Post by ozone »

yah...my bro still has and wears that shirt. I tell him it should be mine due to the fact he only played the game for a short time.

he doesnt agree...

:x
do it.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

May 15 is definitely way too yearly.

I think the demo was only released late in the fall, let alone the full version, which was early January 1999 iirc.

EDIT: I guess I got it a little later, because I didn't pre-order. What's this blue shirt?
Baak

Post by Baak »

I got my Myth II in Spring of 1999 on a recommendation of a friend.

It was v1.1 on a white CD and I now have four different CD's: the white one, the one from the Total Codex package, the blue one from Myth Worlds, and the green one from Green Berets (which I still haven't played!!).

Have vague memories of seeing a blue T-shirt on someone's Myth site somewhere in the past... Maybe post a snapshot? Wasn't there some kind of Myrk statue too?
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Here's mine:

I never wear it... looks like I'd have to iron it first if I did!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Frumius wrote:Here's mine:

Wow Frum, for a creative, artistic person you have a very bland face. Somehow I always imagined you as looking more interesting.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Now you're being mean. You gotta look beneath the surface. That's where I'm fascinating. Or at least interesting. Mildly. Mb.
Point

hey I have that to

Post by Point »

Frumius wrote:Here's mine:

I have that same shirt... never worn still in a box.... You too can look as cool as frum... 500$ and its yours I will even throw in shipping costs... :) 425$ if its cash 400$ if you make cool stuff for myth... oh and free if you buy the rights to TFL SB and TWA....

(note for those that tend to over react... TWA stands for The Wolf Age not Trans World Airlines)
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

does anybody have the super erase myth 2?
the 1.0 i think it would be

be funny to have one of those!

I have the Myth Tales comic book! and the MWC 98 1st prize Bungie TFL Hat! new in box!

-Renwood
Peach Out
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You don't need the super-erase Myth II. Just find an old installer of Firefox 1.0 or 1.5 - and it has the exact same bug! No joke!
Point

MythBay...

Post by Point »

Ok adding to my myth bay offering...

1 Myth Tshirt brand new never worn.

MYTH III TWA board game... From E3 never played.

also 12 gigs of myth stuff tags maps bits picts psd's

all for 599.00 $ usd

10 years of myth thousands of hours of sitting and pointing and clicking... priceless... ;)
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

Hey Point, can we get some pics of the M3 boardgame??!?!?

I heard about this back when myth 3 came out, but all i ever saw was a crappy low res pics of the board layed out.

Maybe scan the game pieces and the game board?

I would love to see just how this game was set up.

-Renwood
Peach Out