http://myth4thewindage.com HAS GONE LIVE!

Talk about anything here.
Renwood

http://myth4thewindage.com HAS GONE LIVE!

Post by Renwood »

As of about an hour ago whoot!

Feel free to look around and check out the content and leave some feedback!

The Dev team has worked VERY hard to make it worth your while!

More features and new content will be up in a few more days and we will allways make sure to update things often.

Take a peek into what we have in store in this vision of the myth universe during the wind age!

-Renwood

http://myth4thewindage.com
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Archer

Post by Archer »

Hokay. Looks interesting, but some notes:

If you're going for verisimilitude, you probably want to leave out things like ordinary Warriors throwing daggers or knives to any real effect. Knife throwing is quite difficult to do in a non-controlled setting, especially when you need to sink the tip in far enough to do serious damage to someone. There are some techniques to make this easier (like throwing the knife so it doesn't rotate, but instead just flies point-first), but they tend to reduce range and accuracy. It'd also make more sense in the hands of one of the more elite unit types, as most of the flavourtext about the Warriors indicates that they're about what you get if you grab a villager and slap some armor on him, hand him a sword and shield, and call it a day.

I think there was other stuff, but I can't remember now. So tired…

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Did you get a licence from Take2 to make a new Myth title?
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Im doing my part! Are you doing yours?
Last edited by Renwood on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

im kinda against the idea of changing what myth II was good for to try and make it better.

New units are always welcomed, but a warrior is a warrior and a dwarf is a dwarf. If dwarfs can melee, then why use warriors now? And if warriors can now block archers and throw daggers, fuck archers, im maxing dwarf and warriors!
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

Relax.

It's not like a dwarf's melee attack is going to be comparable to a warrior attacking with his sword. You don't get max arcs in games now just because they can stab, right? Right. Warrior's using their shields to block is a tactic that takes a lot of practice. Obviously a shield block shouldn't completely deter a direct hit from a bomb or lock ball. We're not overlooking balance. I can't change what people do and don't agree with and I don't call the shots on this project, but I know that the goal of this project isn't to take away the core values of what makes Myth great. More like building on those same values and adding new elements that fit properly within the realm of Myth's gameplay.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Renwood wrote:dont need to not selling it.
Not that I'm saying you should stop or anything, but it is most definitely not this simple in the absence of actual legal agreements.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Point

The wind age...

Post by Point »

I think calling the wind
age is cool... calling myth 4 sucks... and to be honest I think wrong....
its a plug a conversion but not a new game in the series

we have talked of this before and though you have grand plans for it....
calling it the next incarnation of myth is a b ad idea...... until its liscensed as myth 4 your in the wrong... what if a liscensed myth 4 comes along......
or maybe green berets should of been called myth 3 and myth 3 4 ...
or maybe some newbie should come out and
call their plug myth 5 oh an chimera whats that myth 2.5

your plug will be cool but at most its gonna be
Myth II v.1.7 The Wind Age another chapter in the myth story
so unless take two decides to release it with all the new 1.7 features as
the next installment of the game series ... do us all a favor and be a little bit respectful and drop the myth 4

gonna release my next
movie and call it starwars VII the revenge of the jawas ..... see see the problem !!!

its a chapter not a new book.... and thats all i will say about that.....
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Re: The wind age...

Post by vinylrake »

Point wrote:I think calling the wind
age is cool... calling myth 4 sucks... and to be honest I think wrong....
its a plug a conversion but not a new game in the series ...
its a chapter not a new book.... and thats all i will say about that.....
Good points, Point. You pretty much summed up my feelings on calling a new Myth II Campaign/conversion/map-unit-set "Myth 4", if not in quite the same words.

I think calling the campaign "The Wind Age" is a very good title, it sounds large in scope and grand in design and probably conveys what you (Ren) and your team want the name to convey, calling it "Myth 4:"-Anything conveys a bit of arrogance and/or hubris imo. No converstion/campaign/mod-whateveryouwanttocallit no matter how ambitious can lay rightfully claim to the title "Myth 4". If any could then the name "Myth 4" would already have been taken and this campaign would be called something like "Myth 9: The Wind Age".

Looking at it another way, calling your campaign "Myth 4" is almost certainly going to doom it to negative reviews because it raises the expectation bar so high there's no way you can realistically meet expectations for what people would like to see or expect in anything called 'Myth 4'.

ps. Ren, you CAN'T call your new project "Myth 4..." because I am going to release a new map before yours and it will also be called "Myth 4". I haven't designed it yet, but I know it's going to suck and be buggy as hell, and it will be nowhere near as ambitious or as fun to play as yours, so unless you want your project to be associated with my map project you had better think of a new name, or at least drop the "Myth 4" from the title.
:)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

I have no idea of legal details, I'll let Ren speak to that. There does seem to be confusion about this being a plugin. In its current, very early and experimental form, it's just a simple tagset we're experimenting with. The final product will not be a 3p plugin that opens up in the Myth2 application. It will be a new game that we've worked extremely hard on and put a lot of ourselves into, which we're giving away for free.

If we can gather up a lot of support and have the community come together and help us instead of the typical doubt and criticism, this project can go in an even better direction.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

what will open it if not myth2?

you don't have access to the source code, and you don't have anyone creating a new engine for you based on the source code. So how exactly do you plan to materialize some mystical application which will open your plugin, but not be myth?
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

t o x y n wrote:...The final product will not be a 3p plugin that opens up in the Myth2 application. It will be a new game that we've worked extremely hard on and put a lot of ourselves into, which we're giving away for free.

If we can gather up a lot of support and have the community come together and help us instead of the typical doubt and criticism, this project can go in an even better direction.
I am open to new things, and I may have misunderstood what the intent is, but when you replied to a post I wrote on Oct 22nd where you mentioned needing C++ programmers, and I asked you what you needed them for (trying to clear up my confusion as I couldn't understand why anyone would need C++ programmers to work on a Myth map/plugin/converstion) neither you nor anyone else from your team responded. Thus my ongoing confusion.

http://projectmagma.net/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=45

Can I ask a couple of question to try to clear up my confusion, and you tell me where I have it wrong? I think you have come up with the idea of a storyline which fits into the Myth world history which you would like to use as the setting/world for a brand new myth-like game you would like to create from scratch? And as a way of prototyping or getting some feedback about your ideas for this new as-yet-unwritten game you are creating a kind of 'demo' of what the units/physics will be like by implementing some of your ideas in the form of a Unit plugin/set for Myth 2? Is that basically it? And you are trying to get the myth community to support your vision/effort to create this brand new game? That's why you are looking for C++ programmers and artists and other people to work on the project?

Is that basically the idea? I don't mean any slight or intend any insult in my wording, I am just trying to see if I understand what it is you are doing.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Don't want to be picky, but if you're going to insist on calling it Myth 4 (which I still don't really support) would it not make more sense not to end up with two "TWA" abbreviations? "The W*** Age" has already been done :P
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
t o x y n

Post by t o x y n »

am open to new things, and I may have misunderstood what the intent is, but when you replied to a post I wrote on Oct 22nd where you mentioned needing C++ programmers, and I asked you what you needed them for (trying to clear up my confusion as I couldn't understand why anyone would need C++ programmers to work on a Myth map/plugin/converstion) neither you nor anyone else from your team responded. Thus my ongoing confusion.

http://projectmagma.net/forum/viewtopic ... 2&start=45
I really don't check the Magma forums on a regular basis. I'm only here so much since yesterday because of this thread. This is the first time I read that thread since I made the post in that forum. Ren was the one who mentioned we were looking for a programmer. Sorry for the confusion. =) Ren's time is fully concentrated on this project, so speaking for him, I'll say that his spare time is pretty limited. Now that our site is live, we can also have feedback in one place instead of checking through different forum threads on different sites.
Can I ask a couple of question to try to clear up my confusion, and you tell me where I have it wrong? I think you have come up with the idea of a storyline which fits into the Myth world history which you would like to use as the setting/world for a brand new myth-like game you would like to create from scratch? And as a way of prototyping or getting some feedback about your ideas for this new as-yet-unwritten game you are creating a kind of 'demo' of what the units/physics will be like by implementing some of your ideas in the form of a Unit plugin/set for Myth 2? Is that basically it? And you are trying to get the myth community to support your vision/effort to create this brand new game? That's why you are looking for C++ programmers and artists and other people to work on the project?

Is that basically the idea? I don't mean any slight or intend any insult in my wording, I am just trying to see if I understand what it is you are doing.
Nah, none taken. Although questions about the story would be better answered by Ren. Obviously the M4 storyline takes place in The Wind Age, an era of time that has been mentioned briefly in previous Myth titles. I haven't read through the storyline for our project completely yet, but it fits within Myth's history.

Essentially, you're right about the available tagset (farewell). Although calling it a demo is pretty far off from what it is. Prototype is a pretty accurate term. Back when Renwood first brought this up month's ago in the PlayMyth forums, I had mentioned that although Myth3 was built by people who had experience in the Myth world, they didn't build it the way we think it should have been done. They made a nice looking game and all, but the biggest factor for Myth was gameplay. Always has been and always will be. Prototyping new units off of ideas and seeing how stuff works in a modified M2 environment is necessary in our opinion. Making it available for all current players to mess around with and give feedback on things just fits nicely. The people of the Myth community just have to be told about it, and poked at every once in a while so they know that they can have a hand and get in their opinions in. We're a sensitive group (see the "Fuck You Project Magma" thread in MWC07 forums) and we don't like having what makes Myth fun being taken away from us.

There are many goals and things we can accomplish with a project like this. We can bring more new people into the Myth community, we can create a new installment together, and most importantly, we can make it not suck. The ultimate goal (or maybe dream) would be getting the attention of T2 or another publisher abd take our final product and turn it into a full-fledged new game project for computers as well as maybe consoles. Too optimistic maybe, but that doesn't mean we can't try to rally everyone and give it a shot. Speaking of which, this in part why it's called Myth4. Because that's the intention, to get a new Myth out there. We're all intelligent and talented people here I think. Let's put that stuff to good use.